JAL Convair 880 - 1/144 Eastern Express

Here's my 1/144 Convair 880, just finished in the Turning Japanese GB. Build thread is here. Quite a nice kit, nice surface detail, went together well. The decals are from Vintage Flyer, it was my first experience of that brand and I'll be using them again.

1/144 Convair 880

1/144 Convair 880

1/144 Convair 880

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful model. The CV-880 ha always been one of my favorite airliners. Yes, she was known to be a maintenance nightmare, but her lines are just plain beautiful.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Indeed, with the commercial J-79s, I understand "energetic takeoffs" were the norm.  Gas was cheap then...

Yep, they were great! Like many of us, I watch many of the CV990s of Swissair, Modern Air and Spantax crop-spraying our local countryside on a daily basis :). What a machine! :)

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:17 AM, SAT69 said:

Beautiful model. The CV-880 ha always been one of my favorite airliners. Yes, she was known to be a maintenance nightmare, but her lines are just plain beautiful.

Clint Groves who was the man behind ATP said the TWA Convair 880s were mechanically bulletproof, so i wonder exactly where the plane had maintenance/reliability issues... However, it's not the first time i've heard the 880 had its issues.

-d-

• Like 1

Nice looking Convair, Julian!

I met a former Delta Airlines pilot who flew 880s at the IPMS Nationals. Former F-89 Scorpion pilot, too. He loved the plane. said it could fly on one engine, though it did come in screaming fast on final approach. He said the controls were heavy but that was his only criticism of the plane.

-d-

• Thanks 1

I agree with the previous comments, it is a splendid depiction of a very hot ship. Just imagine a B-58 crew trainer in the same scheme! Please escuse the fantasising, the heat is getting to me!

Vincent

• Thanks 1

Hi Julien. I just realised that although I "liked" your CV-880 a few days ago I forgot to comment.

Thanks for sharing such an excellent model. There is something special about early jet airliners even if they are the stuff of environmental nightmares nowadays.

I wasn't following the Group Build so particular thanks for the link to the build thread. I've bookmarked it for when I get round to building my own CV-880, whenever that might be.

All the best

Dave G

• Thanks 1