Aircraft that were painted in Dupont RAF equivalent colours?

sapperastro

Hi all,

Going through some of my paints, I noted the Colourcoats three shades of Dupont equivalents I used for a couple of P-40's I did a while ago. The flying tigers planes were painted up in nearish match shades for Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky. These look quite different when parked next to other models painted in standard British versions sporting these colours.

So, since I still have quite a bit of these three equivalent shades left, how many other planes were painted in these colours besides the flying tiger P-40 in China?

5 minutes ago, sapperastro said:

how many other planes were painted in these colours besides the flying tiger P-40 in China?

You will find that a number of Aircraft were painted in these colour types.

Seeing you're from Aussie, RAAF P40E-1's from RAF orders would have worn these colours

just as RNZAF ones were.

Whilst I can't guarantee the Lockheed used DuPont, some other aircraft types delivered from

RAF Contracts early in WWII will have worn similar colours such as the Hudson.

If you're interested in the RAF order Brewster 339E Buffalo, they will have worn similar (you could do

RAAF Article XV squadron Buffaloes - 21 and 453 Squadron's)

Hope that's of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I know this question comes up all the time about the Dupont colors ...

For me I have personally  seen and collected skin samples from Tomahawk's recovered from Russia and they clearly appeared to be in the Dupont  RAF equivalent colors including the cockpit...

Hell I was in a  Tractor trailer full of recovered Tomahawk parts and I've had the oxidized paint rubbed all over my clothes from the large skin panel.

For me there is no debate that at least for  Curtis aircraft and RAF contract

Curtiss painted them in the Dupont RAF equivalent colors 

In fact  That would be my natural default for any overseas ordered aircraft from a US maker until at least middle of 42

Edited by HBBates
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand the Brewster paint source was Fuller, rather than DuPont.  No color photos (curse you Carl Mydans!) of Buffalos but Bermuda photos suggest the same 'sandy' shift to Dark Earth as seen with DuPont.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1