1:72 Douglas Boston Mk.III 'Intruder'

Hi All,

My latest completion is Special Hobby's 1:72 Boston Mk.III. I first started this kit in 2021, but an irretrievable decal disaster saw my first effort sail binwards (an act of which I am not proud). However, it continued to niggle me, so I recently purchased another kit and started the build from scratch! The reason for persisting with this model is that it depicts a rather unusual experimental camouflage scheme applied to AL468, an aircraft of 418 'City of Edmonton' Sqn RCAF, based at RAF Bradwell Bay, Essex in 1942. Aircraft of this squadron were tasked with 'Night Intruder' missions, whereby they attacked German night fighters at their home bases, often whilst they were in the circuit. AL468 was piloted by Sqn Ldr Burton-Gyles, who was credited with shooting down an enemy aircraft over the town of Beauvais. Most of these aircraft were painted in Night overall, but a couple were painted in the experimental Ocean Grey & Dark Green over Night, rather than the later standard Night Fighter scheme of Medium Sea Grey/Dark Green over Night. The following are excerpts from @Carl V's book on the subject - Carl and @dogsbody were kind enough to provide this information during my build (many thanks gents!). You can see the experimental scheme applied to TH-D in the middle photos. The cockpit close-up on the second panel is TH-O AL468, showing the maple leaf marking above the swastika - the aircraft also carried a distinctive 'O - Ottawa, Ontario' marking on the starboard side. Finally, the bottom artwork shows the scheme itself,

52241565713_bd07d62094_b.jpg

52241556351_e6d7449007_b.jpg

51412423659_0959a86343_b.jpg

52241556366_b98dd09897_b.jpg

Here's the WIP, if anyone is interested:

Now the kit itself has a few foibles, mainly relating to the fit of the nose glazing, which was remedied by the addition of a 1mm shim to the fuselage. The aircraft was modelled with the ventral cannon pack fitted, but with the cheek gun blisters removed. I also modified the bombardier's position, removing the bomb sight along with a portion of the floor, as was correct for this aircraft (this from information kindly provided by @Scott Hemsley - many thanks Scott!). I made a few improvements, such as the addition of a life raft, clear wingtip lights, and Tamiya tape harnesses - otherwise the kit was pretty much OOB. Anyway, that's enough waffle - on to the pics!

20220807-091926.jpg

20220807-091933.jpg

20220807-091951.jpg

20220807-091959.jpg

20220807-092009.jpg

20220807-092016.jpg

20220807-092041.jpg

20220807-092047.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist a couple of shots with another unusual RCAF aircraft, just to show the difference between a 'light' and 'heavy' bomber 😉

20220807_092134.jpg

20220807_092136.jpg

Although this build has not been without its frustrations, I'm actually pretty pleased with the outcome. It's an unusual-looking aircraft and hopefully a fitting tribute to the brave Canadian crews who undertook the hazardous Intruder operations night after night. Many thanks to all who have provided help and encouragement along the way - it is sincerely appreciated as always!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 71
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That's a beauty! (Both models, really.)

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the kind words Jason - much appreciated!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M.T.Dolby said:

Congratulations on a great result! Not the easiest kit but well worth persevering with, especially when you get a finish like that 🤤👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

Thanks for the kind words M T - much appreciated!

22 minutes ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Solid build

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, IanC said:

Excellent job. The weathered black is very well done. But that superb Lanc has stolen the show!

Thanks for the kind words Ian - I never pass on an opportunity to wheel out 'Z-Zombie!'

Roger, I might have to give the Special Hobby Havoc / Boston another try after seeing your`s here.  After a frustrating experience with it, I tossed it away but you have proven that this kit can indeed be turned into something special.  I marvel at your skills.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Roger, I might have to give the Special Hobby Havoc / Boston another try after seeing your`s here.  After a frustrating experience with it, I tossed it away but you have proven that this kit can indeed be turned into something special.  I marvel at your skills.  :goodjob:

Mike

You are most kind Mike - I can confirm that 2nd time around brings a wealth of experience!

5 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent build, I found this kit to be quite difficult !

Wulfman

Thanks very much Wulfman - it is no shake & bake but I'm happy with the result...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

You're welcome! I almost wrote 'That's a beauty, for sure!', but I thought that was laying on the 'Canadian' a little thickly.

I'll do it!

50349599886_ba3678dd26_z.jpg

Well done, Roger!

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi All,

My latest completion is Special Hobby's 1:72 Boston Mk.III. I first started this kit in 2021, but an irretrievable decal disaster saw my first effort sail binwards (an act of which I am not proud). However, it continued to niggle me, so I recently purchased another kit and started the build from scratch! The reason for persisting with this model is that it depicts a rather unusual experimental camouflage scheme applied to AL468, an aircraft of 418 'City of Edmonton' Sqn RCAF, based at RAF Bradwell Bay, Essex in 1942. Aircraft of this squadron were tasked with 'Night Intruder' missions, whereby they attacked German night fighters at their home bases, often whilst they were in the circuit. AL468 was piloted by Sqn Ldr Burton-Gyles, who was credited with shooting down an enemy aircraft over the town of Beauvais. Most of these aircraft were painted in Night overall, but a couple were painted in the experimental Ocean Grey & Dark Green over Night, rather than the later standard Night Fighter scheme of Medium Sea Grey/Dark Green over Night. The following are excerpts from @Carl V's book on the subject - Carl and @dogsbody were kind enough to provide this information during my build (many thanks gents!). You can see the experimental scheme applied to TH-D in the middle photos. The cockpit close-up on the second panel is TH-O AL468, showing the maple leaf marking above the swastika - the aircraft also carried a distinctive 'O - Ottawa, Ontario' marking on the starboard side. Finally, the bottom artwork shows the scheme itself,

52241565713_bd07d62094_b.jpg

52241556351_e6d7449007_b.jpg

51412423659_0959a86343_b.jpg

52241556366_b98dd09897_b.jpg

Here's the WIP, if anyone is interested:

Now the kit itself has a few foibles, mainly relating to the fit of the nose glazing, which was remedied by the addition of a 1mm shim to the fuselage. The aircraft was modelled with the ventral cannon pack fitted, but with the cheek gun blisters removed. I also modified the bombardier's position, removing the bomb sight along with a portion of the floor, as was correct for this aircraft (this from information kindly provided by @Scott Hemsley - many thanks Scott!). I made a few improvements, such as the addition of a life raft, clear wingtip lights, and Tamiya tape harnesses - otherwise the kit was pretty much OOB. Anyway, that's enough waffle - on to the pics!

20220807-091926.jpg

20220807-091933.jpg

20220807-091951.jpg

20220807-091959.jpg

20220807-092009.jpg

20220807-092016.jpg

20220807-092041.jpg

20220807-092047.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist a couple of shots with another unusual RCAF aircraft, just to show the difference between a 'light' and 'heavy' bomber 😉

20220807_092134.jpg

20220807_092136.jpg

Although this build has not been without its frustrations, I'm actually pretty pleased with the outcome. It's an unusual-looking aircraft and hopefully a fitting tribute to the brave Canadian crews who undertook the hazardous Intruder operations night after night. Many thanks to all who have provided help and encouragement along the way - it is sincerely appreciated as always!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Waooow !!

Well done Sir !!

Unusual camo, superb weathering !!

Congratulations Roger !!

:partytime::partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for the kind words CC!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'll do it!

50349599886_ba3678dd26_z.jpg

Well done, Roger!

Chris

Someone had to! Chris (and Carl) sincerely appreciate the assistance - it's certainly a better model for it!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BerndM said:

A very nice Boston and a lot of history. Great post.

The Lanc is impressive as well.

Thanks for the kind words Bernd - much appreciated!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Very impressive work!  Second time's a charm, all right.

Thanks for the kind words TJK - much appreciated!