New Tool Airfix 1:48 Buccaneer S2C/D

A beautiful build and a great review Richard @RMCS. I'd convinced myself I wasn't going to get the RN version; but have to say your review completely changed my mind 🙂. Perhaps if I resist doing an early RAF machine I can think about an HMS Ark Royal / HMS Eagle Air Wing in due course. Wouldn't an Airfix Fairey Gannet AEW.3 make a great subject for a future release... ticks an awful lot of their boxes.

I remember a vist to the FAA Museum in the the '70s and coming home with a couple of beautiful Michael Turner prints; one was of a 809 Buccaneer on approach to HMS Ark Royal (the other a Phantom launch). Really evocative, not sure if thse prints are still available?

Rich

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

A stunner,

I read your build with great interest and as mine is now on the way can't wait to get started.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you 

6 hours ago, RichG said:

A beautiful build and a great review Richard @RMCS. I'd convinced myself I wasn't going to get the RN version; but have to say your review completely changed my mind 🙂. Perhaps if I resist doing an early RAF machine I can think about an HMS Ark Royal / HMS Eagle Air Wing in due course. Wouldn't an Airfix Fairey Gannet AEW.3 make a great subject for a future release... ticks an awful lot of their boxes.

I remember a vist to the FAA Museum in the the '70s and coming home with a couple of beautiful Michael Turner prints; one was of a 809 Buccaneer on approach to HMS Ark Royal (the other a Phantom launch). Really evocative, not sure if thse prints are still available?

Rich

spacer.png

What an image

Turned out nice! Well done :clap:

Like with the new Airfix Vampire and Hunter kits which include parts to build different versions, does this kit include the parts to build also the South African version? I´ve seen some pics of the sprues and if I saw right, there are the different spine antennas for the SA version and also the bigger wing tanks...

• Thanks 1

Must  . . . hold  . . . on.  Wait . . .  for  . . . uhhhh . . . . the pain . . . . . RAF.  Hold on  . . . . to . . . . credit  . . . . card.  A . . . bit  . . . . more . . .time . . . you can  . . . do  . . .it.  Resist . . . Royal Navy . . . . Buc.   

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Turned out nice! Well done :clap:

Like with the new Airfix Vampire and Hunter kits which include parts to build different versions, does this kit include the parts to build also the South African version? I´ve seen some pics of the sprues and if I saw right, there are the different spine antennas for the SA version and also the bigger wing tanks...

I

I am no expert on the SA version, but there are defo extra bits, including the wing  tan

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:31 AM, Reini78 said:

does this kit include the parts to build also the South African version? I´ve seen some pics of the sprues and if I saw right, there are the different spine antennas for the SA version and also the bigger wing tanks...

Sorry to disappoint,  but I have looked through the kit sprues carefully and I can't see any evidence of parts specific to South African operated Buccaneers. I am happy to be corrected of course.

I think you may have mistaken the different SA spine antennas for what I think are actually the ILS localiser antenna fitted to either side of the tail of RAF aircraft (hint for a forthcoming RAF version). Also missing are the 2 small strakes on the bomb bay door. Neither these or the different antenna would be a very difficult mod. More challenging would be the large underwing slipper tanks seen on SA aircraft; these are not in the kit either (although included in the old Airfix kit - for the S.2C/D, S.50 version boxing).  These are very long and hard to mistake for the standard tanks. 

It is possible Airfix plan to include a new sprue with the relevant parts/weapons/markings for a Buccaneer S.50 in a future release, otherwise it looks like it will be down to the after market guys to fill the gap.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

That is glorious! The paint is stunning and a testament to your skill.
I suddenly feel the need to do a 1/48 diorama of a Bucc and Tornado at low level, and I have a Tornado in the stash... Now where's my wallet?😁

• Thanks 1

Oh that's very tasty.

I might have to split my model railway based moral objection to buying from Hornby to allow myself to buy from Airfix, somehow.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Shearwater said:

Strangely enough it was only a couple of days ago I read the very comprehensive build review in the mag. Gotta say, what a superbly finished kit 👍👍

Thanks 

• Like 1