Me 410A-1

Properjob56

Hi everyone. 

I’ve raided the stash and found and started on the Finemolds ‘Hornisse’. I wonder if anyone can help on 2 issues.

The aircraft depicted is yellow 7 from ZG26. The colour scheme is given as 70/71/76, a unique combination in my experience. The instructions also say the towel rail antenna, the canopy mast and fuselage guns were removed. Does anyone have any info to confirm any of this, particularly the source FM was presumably using.  

Further, the reason I assume the equipment was taken out was to save weight suggesting the a/c was used for recon. missions. If that’s so has anyone got any plans showing what other mods would have been made particularly the details of the camera installation?

many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

👍

The other common representation of the Me.410 in 70/71/65 is an aircraft of KG.51 used for the night raids on England.  This presumably came from the logic that this was the standard bomber camouflage (although no longer universal at that stage of the war) for there seems to be absolutely no evidence for the use of anything other than the standard fighter/Zerstorer greys on any actual aircraft.

In this case, ZG.26 is not even a bomber unit.

I agree that the source of this suggestion would be most interesting, but lightening the aircraft and reducing drag would suggest an emphasis in speed more appropriate to a reconnaissance aircraft than a daylight heavy fighter over Germany at this time of the war.  Single pilot operation?

• Thanks 1

Me 410A-1 WNr.10117, "gelbe 7" was with the II/ZG 26 in February 1944, at Hildesheim (about 30km south of Hanover).  It was tested under the supervision of Hptm. Tratt.  There are photos showing both sides in Werner Stocker's Messerschmitt Me210/Me410, p.124.  One of these can also be found in the Squadron/Signal pub., Me210/410 in Action, p.3, and in Mankau/Petrick's Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me210/Me410. p299.  The old II/ZG 26 emblem, a (yellow) wooden clog was carried on the outer sides of both cowlings.

The defensive armament and Bordfunker was eliminated to save weight -- about 1800 kg, and a GM-1 tank installed (which 'put back' 500kg).  It was about altitude/endurance, the expected speed increase of 20km/h not materializing.  This project had been initiated in a 8.March 1943 meeting at the RLM, which believed the Americans would soon be appearing at 10,000m altitude.

This twin-engined Zerstörer unit adopted 'fighter style' markings in late 1943, into March 1944, when they returned to using their earlier/conventional coding (for example, the "gelbe 7" was the equivalen of "3u+GP").

Hope this helps, GRM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, G.R.Morrison said:

Me 410A-1 WNr.10117, "gelbe 7" was with the II/ZG 26 in February 1944, at Hildesheim (about 30km south of Hanover).  It was tested under the supervision of Hptm. Tratt.  There are photos showing both sides in Werner Stocker's Messerschmitt Me210/Me410, p.124.  One of these can also be found in the Squadron/Signal pub., Me210/410 in Action, p.3, and in Mankau/Petrick's Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me210/Me410. p299.  The old II/ZG 26 emblem, a (yellow) wooden clog was carried on the outer sides of both cowlings.

The defensive armament and Bordfunker was eliminated to save weight -- about 1800 kg, and a GM-1 tank installed (which 'put back' 500kg).  It was about altitude/endurance, the expected speed increase of 20km/h not materializing.  This project had been initiated in a 8.March 1943 meeting at the RLM, which believed the Americans would soon be appearing at 10,000m altitude.

This twin-engined Zerstörer unit adopted 'fighter style' markings in late 1943, into March 1944, when they returned to using their earlier/conventional coding (for example, the "gelbe 7" was the equivalen of "3u+GP").

Hope this helps, GRM

Many thanks for this. It appears, if I understand it, that the configuration was an experimental one. It seems, if that’s right, I’ll not need to worry about a recon fit out. Huzzah! 

As I don’t have the books mentioned is anyone able to view the photos to confirm whether they show the suggested colour scheme or is it the usual thankless, and probably pointless, exercise of interpreting the colours from a black and white photo? 

I do appreciate the excellent responses. 😀

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

HTH

Great work! When I met Italeri Me410 on catalog, I was attracted by its "late version" colour scheme. However, later I learnt no 81/82 paints that period. 

From Osprey Combat Aircraft series we can get same photo @Crimea River  posted.  It explained that the camo was 74/75 with dense mottles. I stand with Osprey too. 

13 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

HTH

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Can I ask how the tank was made? and how you knew the colours were (the much more likely and usual) 74/75/76 combination? 

9 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Can I ask how the tank was made? and how you knew the colours were (the much more likely and usual) 74/75/76 combination? 

The tank is a modified piece of ballpoint pen; comparing various photos of other aircraft with the '7+-' I decided that the 74/75/76 was more likely.

• Thanks 1

Hello,  hoping I’ve not crossed a line here. So, here to help.

From my stash of books:

Airframe Album # 16

Combat Aircraft 131 Me210/410 Zerstorer Units 

kagero Me410 in combat 

Mushroom Model Magazine Special No 6120

Another view of the A/C your looking to model.

spacer.png

Just in case you fancied same babbettless style A/C but in RLM81/82.

spacer.png

This side plate showing both A/C in RLM 74/75. Off note should be the either painting over or the application of sheet metal over the rear glazing.

spacer.png

This top side plate seems to be the most radical depiction showing large swathes of solid RLM81/82, I modelled this depiction some 27 years ago when the Monogram Pro Modeller boxing came out.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.        😉

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 8:46 PM, Properjob56 said:

I saw that. It’s not hugely helpful on the colours save it doesn’t look a lot like the box art!

Imagine that. Model box art not resembling an original photo....

• Haha 1