Jump to content

1:72 Emhar McDonnell F3H-2N Demon


Recommended Posts

Even without taking into account all the modifications, amendments and added details to the original kit offering, this is a wonderful model! :worthy:  :clap:

 

But since all the above happened, it is also an example of masterful craftsmanship, together with attention to detail and proper research. And in a catchy scheme!

 

What now? :D

 

Ciao 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

Whole lotta love in this old kit and it shows!

 

I actually like building older kits and seeing how pretentious I can be with my list of corrections/improvements. But this kit needed it! And I will admit to having Zeppelin on the turntable while building it.   :)

 

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Amazing work, bravo!

 

Thanks mate.

 

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Beautiful build, hard to imagine that started as the Emhar kit 👍👏

 

Thanks. It's even harder to imagine that I subjected myself to all that work. I must be daft. Wait, I actually am daft.     :drunk:

 

50 minutes ago, giemme said:

Even without taking into account all the modifications, amendments and added details to the original kit offering, this is a wonderful model! :worthy:  :clap:

But since all the above happened, it is also an example of masterful craftsmanship, together with attention to detail and proper research. And in a catchy scheme!

 

What now? :D

 

Thanks Giorgio. I have no idea what to build next. I seem to remember that I promised to build the F6U-1 Pirate - at least that kit doesn't have many parts. But neither did the Demon and look what happened with that! I'll have a look through my stash and find something. My latest kit acquisition is the Italeri (ESCI) F-5A - there are some nice Canadian markings. Or maybe an F-104C in SEA camo. How about the old Monogram AD-5 Skyraider with yellow wings? Or maybe a P-51 "Passion Wagon." No, I think a Sea Harrier FA.2 in Oxford Blue would be nice. Or maybe the YF-23? I love Northrop designs. How about the AH-1Z Viper? The CF-105 Arrow! The biplane Helldiver! Arghh, there is no end to the ideas...

 

Cheers,

Bill

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superb Demon, and very well kept, at that!

 

The boarding ladder sets it off perfectly. But, perhaps a few well placed little scuff marks would elevate the impression even further? 😉

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marvelous Demon!

Fantastic amount of work that's gone into this & possibly a good guide to smartening up the Sword kit as well.

Looks like the Flightpath ladders intended for the Voodoo? 

 

Martin 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Or maybe an F-104C in SEA camo

That sounds soooooo good.... :winkgrin:  :D

 

Ciao 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Staggering…..  and that’s just the number of bullet points.

The model’s pretty decent too.  Well a bit more than that, outstanding!!
Amazing work Bill, quite brilliant!

 

Dave

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely superb model, and what a list of modifications! Was there any of the original kit left once you'd finished?! Always had a soft spot for this rather forgotten type, reminds me of the Scimitar in general shape and era. You've done it proud!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The boarding ladder sets it off perfectly. But, perhaps a few well placed little scuff marks would elevate the impression even further? 😉

 

Thanks Joachim. The ladder has just been requisitioned from stores, so it hasn't been scuffed up yet.     :)

 

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Fantastic amount of work that's gone into this & possibly a good guide to smartening up the Sword kit as well.

Looks like the Flightpath ladders intended for the Voodoo?

 

Thanks Martin. Not sure about the Voodoo, but I have a colour photo of a Demon with this same ladder. The photoetch bits to make it came from Airwaves in one of their Demon sets.

 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

That sounds soooooo good.... :winkgrin:  :D

 

They all sound good to me! I have the Revell 104C kit and the new(ish) Caracal decal sheet with SEA camo and nose art. Should look pretty cool. First things first, though, gotta clean up the workbench. Haven't done that in several models.

 

1 hour ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Staggering…..  and that’s just the number of bullet points.

The model’s pretty decent too.  Well a bit more than that, outstanding!!
Amazing work Bill, quite brilliant!

 

Thanks Dave. I wasn't aiming for that many bullets, but that's how it worked out.     :)

 

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

Demonstrally perfect !

 

Well, I did leave in at least one mistake, but I didn't bother pointing it out. Got to protect my rep, eh?      :)

 

58 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Absolutely superb model, and what a list of modifications! Was there any of the original kit left once you'd finished?! Always had a soft spot for this rather forgotten type, reminds me of the Scimitar in general shape and era. You've done it proud!

 

Thanks Phil. There is quite a bit of the original kit parts used - fuselage, wings, gear struts, gear doors. canopy. I think if I built it out of the box it wouldn't look as nice.

 

Cheers,

Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your WIP started in March and ended in August. Was that time spent exclusively on the Demon or are there others in the pipeline? I don't think that I could sustain my enthusiasm for any model that long even if I matched your skills. Some of my models have taken much longer but they were the ones that I really wanted but were so much trouble that they were put on the shelf of doom (several times!) until I could bring myself to restart them. Do you have models like that?

Given my interest in prototypes I got a couple of those Emhar Demons with the intention of producing a prototype but the stumbling block has been producing its much slimmer fuselage. Perhaps I should build one 'out of the box' to show how really good yours is.

John

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill my friend, a standing ovation is in order for you after this incredible accomplishment you made.  I tried the Emhar Demon kit and immediately gave up knowing it was far too crude to try and create anything special however you have done just that.  Impressive does not begin to accurately describe your efforts that you shared with us here.  Bravo good sir!!!!! :worthy:

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations Bill !!

Really fine Demon !!

Time to restart mines....

That's a lot of work on this kit !!

:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/08/2022 at 18:50, SAT69 said:

You've produced a gem!

 

Thanks. When I first opened the box and looked at the sprues I said "Man, this is a real gem." But I don't think I meant that the same way as you!    :)

 

On 06/08/2022 at 20:41, CJP said:

That's a long list of improvements/corrections but you certainly turned out a very nice Demon in the end👍

 

Thanks. I wasn't intending for the list to be that long, it just kind of evolved.    :)

 

On 07/08/2022 at 02:34, stevej60 said:

That's a stunner Bill ungainly looking aircraft but always been a favourite of mine,top job!

 

Thanks. I set the model in my display case right next to an F-4 and it's quite surprising how big the Demon is. Pretty much the same size as the Phantom, but with only one engine, and under-powered at that.    

 

On 07/08/2022 at 05:47, John R said:

Your WIP started in March and ended in August. Was that time spent exclusively on the Demon or are there others in the pipeline?

 

I'm a serial modeller, one at a time. The only time I have more than one going on is when I'm waiting for aftermarket to arrive for the other. The Demon took longer than usual (I typically finish four-five models per year) due to the amount of work involved plus some other issues, like the pneumonia that took me out of commission for a few weeks. Plus a couple of vacations and the usual babysitting for the grandkids and the next thing you know it's August.

 

On 07/08/2022 at 06:07, Sky Keg said:

Bill my friend, a standing ovation is in order for you after this incredible accomplishment you made.  I tried the Emhar Demon kit and immediately gave up knowing it was far too crude to try and create anything special however you have done just that.

 

Thanks. Even some of the most basic kits can be made into something. Not all of them, of course. In the case of the Demon there was quite a bit of aftermarket available for the Emhar kit. This project would have been easier, I think, if I used the Sword kit but it wasn't around when I bought all the stuff I used to make this model.

 

On 07/08/2022 at 06:16, Wulfman said:

An epic build on the very basic kit, superb modelling !

 

Thanks. It came out better than I initially expected. However, I reserve the word epic for Homer. And I don't mean Simpson!     :)

 

On 07/08/2022 at 11:18, Maginot said:

Neat! Good to see these less common types from the 50s presented on this forum.

 

I agree! The 50s and 60s are when I was born and grew up, so I feel a lot of affinity to those times. The 50s especially, when it seemed like there were new designs and prototypes coming out every few weeks. A lot of really interesting aeroplanes for sure.

 

On 07/08/2022 at 13:24, corsaircorp said:

Congratulations Bill !!

Really fine Demon !!

Time to restart mines....

That's a lot of work on this kit !!

 

Thanks. Yes, it's time to restart yours - we need more Demons on the forum. Both McDonnell and Hawker.     :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...