Image(s) Needed

Bruce Archer

Hi!

I am looking for port side images of Don Gentile's  Spitfire Vb "Buckeye Don", MD*T of the US 4th Fighter Group. From an image I have of the starboard side, you can tell MD*T does not have a standard camo pattern. Aeromaster, Airfix, and Eduard got the pattern very wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Bruce

All that I have been able to come up with so far. Will try and go through my library some more later. Unfortunately this image doesn’t reveal nearly enough of his aircraft to the degree you require. Nevertheless...........

spacer.png

Edited by TBC

Thanks, I already have that image. But it does reveal some details that Eduard and Airfix missed, such as the black spinner backplate, the covered wheels, gun camera (?) port and the patched -over opening in the wing leading edge.  I cannot see if it has the IFF Mk.II installed.

Edited by Bruce Archer

42 minutes ago, Bruce Archer said:

Thanks, I already have that image. But it does reveal some details that Eduard and Airfix missed, such as the black spinner backplate, the covered wheels, gun camera (?) port and the patched -over opening in the wing leading edge.  I cannot see if it has the IFF Mk.II installed.

I'm not sure Eduard missed the spinner plate? On the profile on the instructions for the Eagles Call boxing it shows a black back plate. There are also two red patches visible on the port wing near the wing root on the plan view for MD-T but for the other schemes. I can't tell from the instructions whether the wheel hub they call out for that scheme is spoked or covered.

I just pulled the Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster instructions for MD*T. Here is what I found:

MD*T is shown twice, once as MD*T and once as Lt. Wooten" EN851 of the 307th FS 31st FG

As scheme "E" it is not mentioned to use either wheel. It does have the wheel covers

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster show a "standard " camo scheme, the scheme is not standard, it shows much repainting

Eduard does show the flare port on the fuselage, no one else does

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the dark area between the legs of the "M" on the Starboard side

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the circular opening on the leading edge of the port wing near the fuselage ( gun camera?)

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the square patch on the port wing leading edge between the 20mm gun and the fuselage

The starboard side image I have (sorry, I do not know who has the rights to it) does not show the installation of an IFF MK.I "cheese cutter " antenna

The starboard side image I have does not show a serial number

The MD*T for Aeromaster, Airfix, and Eduard shows the wrong position of the codes

And all of that was gotten from the image of Gentile leaning against the prop on the port side, and the one starboard image I have. Other aircraft in the sqn. are also different so they are no help.

But o get even more of the story, I need a Port side image

Bruce

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

I just pulled the Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster instructions for MD*T. Here is what I found:

MD*T is shown twice, once as MD*T and once as Lt. Wooten" EN851 of the 307th FS 31st FG

As scheme "E" it is not mentioned to use either wheel. It does have the wheel covers

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster show a "standard " camo scheme, the scheme is not standard, it shows much repainting

Eduard does show the flare port on the fuselage, no one else does

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the dark area between the legs of the "M" on the Starboard side

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the circular opening on the leading edge of the port wing near the fuselage ( gun camera?)

Eduard, Airfix, and Aeromaster missed the square patch on the port wing leading edge between the 20mm gun and the fuselage

The starboard side image I have (sorry, I do not know who has the rights to it) does not show the installation of an IFF MK.I "cheese cutter " antenna

The starboard side image I have does not show a serial number

The MD*T for Aeromaster, Airfix, and Eduard shows the wrong position of the codes

And all of that was gotten from the image of Gentile leaning against the prop on the port side, and the one starboard image I have. Other aircraft in the sqn. are also different so they are no help.

But o get even more of the story, I need a Port side image

Bruce

If you look at the top/bottom view of MD-T on the Eagles Call painting guide you can see two small red squares on the port wing inboard of the cannon that correspond to the two in the photo.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:32 AM, Bruce Archer said:

I am looking at the booklet which comes with the boxed set "Eagles Call". No squares are shown inboard of the cannon.. Is your sheet from a single kit, Prfipak or weekend edition?

Bruce