1/87 Thor

This is the Glencoe re-release of the Adams kit. Fit was actually pretty good, although the launch pad posed a few problems here and there and the railings are pretty thick. You get two sets of markings. One for a USAF experimental bird with a pitot at the top and some to show the missile in UK service. I modified the nose cone into what was known as a "non-ablative re-entry" type, whatever that means and if I even have that term correct. Suffice to say its flatter with a more pointed top. The launch base is actually incorrect for the British missiles, but it suited Adam's purposes as it was also used in their Vanguard missile kit. It was a fun build and looks pretty good when completed. I made the concrete pad out of a piece of sheet plastic. 

PXL_20220806_125413747 PXL_20220806_125426013 PXL_20220806_125436326

• Like 22

Very nice indeed!

"non-ablative re-entry" - the Apollo Command Module had an ablative material - which is material which breaks away during re-entry taking the heat with it. The shuttle tiles were non ablative which means they did not break away but absorbed the heat.

Keith

Edited by saturnapollo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 7:39 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

That looks very nice indeed. 

I live on a former RAF base which had Thor missiles years ago.

I like it too. I like the contrast between sleek missile and clunky launcher. Excellent work especially on the base and figures.

When I was a JT I worked with an old sergeant who had been on the Thor in Lincolnshire somewhere. These personal connections, however tenuous make models so much more special.

• Like 1