Kinetic F/A-18 Hornet of the Finnish Air Force

The decision to buy 64 Hornets in 1992 was an epoch-making change of direction in post-war Finland. It was the starting point of the gradual harmonising of the Finnish defence forces with NATO structures. During the next 20 years Finland became more and more NATO compatible and last December the decision was taken to order 64 Lockheed Martin F-35 A Lightning II fighters to replace the ageing Hornets. The application of NATO membership this May was the culmination of the long process to join NATO.

A couple of years ago I built the 1/48 scale Kinetic F/A-18 Hornet in the Finnish Air Force colours. The kit was excellent with many photo etch details and the instructions very informative. I didn't have any problems building the model. The two-shade grey camo of the FAF Hornets is fairly monotonous, though with only  a few insignia and stencil decals.

Although, I’m pretty satisfied with the outcome of the model I must admit that the paints did not give impression of the two-tone result I had hoped for. The two gray shades are very similar to each other and it is actually very difficult to see their difference. I painted the fighter according to the instructions i.e. the upper side with Xtracolor X135 Dark Compass Grey (FS 16320) and the lower side with X136 Light Compass Grey (FS 16375). I probably should’ve used a slightly darker shade for the upper side.

On the tail of the plane there is the name ”Kreivi von Rosen” or in English ”the Count von Rosen”. He was a Swedish count that on March 6, 1918 donated the first plane, a Thulin Typ D to the air force of the newly independent republic of Finland. Honouring his generosity his lucky charm, the upright standing blue swastika became the FAF insignia until 1945.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

44 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Looking great, love to see the Finnish brothers´ aircraft too. ;)

Thanks Paramedic!

Einar 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Great modelling. Nice to see a Finish Hornet....something different to the usual US Navy and Marines..and welcome to the NATO family 🙂👍

Thank you very much!

Einar

10 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Excellent Hornet build.

Good to know that you have enjoyed the kit.

Thank you Berndt!

Einar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luis pacheco said:

Great Hornet.

I´ve been in Finland twice. Amazing country. 

Muito obrigado Luis!

Tenho visitado Portugal varias vezes e gosto muito de seu país👍

Einar

• Thanks 1