"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

Hi @trickyrich,

Well we were putting away the Xmas decorations when Mrs W moved the sofa and said gosh 'Thats a big one'. 'Are you going to build it or do we have to live round a cardboard box for the next 10 years?'

So it's been hidden behind the sofa since we returned to the England in 2020, waiting for an opportunity to get built. I was planning on the 'Big and British GB' last year but there was no way I could see it being done in the time available so I built 1/48 Lancaster instead. So I know you set the limit for aircraft in this GB at >1/48 but you did say that you would make exceptions for some 'Big' subjects .

Well this is 1/48 but it's quite big.

In fact its bigger than my work bench and a lot bigger than a 1/48 Hurricane.

IMG_20230218_154906279_HDR

And almost as big as a 3 seat sofa.

IMG_20230218_154343227

The main part is the single piece fibreglass wing and fuselage but everything else is resin. There are lots of bits!

IMG_20230218_154512423

Only a few decals but Masks are provided for the main colours, and the instructions are on CD.

IMG_20230218_154440865

So there you have it.

IMG_20230218_154409218_HDR

Am I allowed in?

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

138-A52-D9-DFE0-45-C6-9-D0-E-84-E2-C44-AScaled the Wight just for pig iron. As you can see in 1/28 ( to match my revell DR1) it still fits nicely into an A4 page. Must see what the kitten look like.

Good luck with that!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi @trickyrich,

Well we were putting away the Xmas decorations when Mrs W moved the sofa and said gosh 'Thats a big one'. 'Are you going to build it or do we have to live round a cardboard box for the next 10 years?'

So it's been hidden behind the sofa since we returned to the England in 2020, waiting for an opportunity to get built. I was planning on the 'Big and British GB' last year but there was no way I could see it being done in the time available so I built 1/48 Lancaster instead. So I know you set the limit for aircraft in this GB at >1/48 but you did say that you would make exceptions for some 'Big' subjects .

Well this is 1/48 but it's quite big.

In fact its bigger than my work bench and a lot bigger than a 1/48 Hurricane.

And almost as big as a 3 seat sofa.

The main part is the single piece fibreglass wing and fuselage but everything else is resin. There are lots of bits!

Only a few decals but Masks are provided for the main colours, and the instructions are on CD.

So there you have it.

Am I allowed in?

Allowed in!!!  You need your head read!    :yikes:

I think straight up you'll get the prize for bringing the biggest beast along....that's for sure!!

But welcome aboard........now this is really going big........just hope you have a shelf big enough for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. It looks like a lot of work but should be fun. I've had a good look for other builds but although I found a started one here on BM, I haven't found a finished one yet.

It seems that I will be sailing uncharted waters!

Colin.

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

Thanks all. It looks like a lot of work but should be fun. I've had a good look for other builds but although I found a started one here on BM, I haven't found a finished one yet.

It seems that I will be sailing uncharted waters!

Colin.

I'd say that this is fast becoming the definitive Concorde thread

Amazing what turns up in KUTA, photos and discussion of nose profile etc. galore!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 7:21 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

hopefully without the multiple issues that affect the 1/72 Airfix/Heller/Revell kit…

Yes I have had an Airfix 1/72 in the stash for 20 years and the issues around the nose are well documented including your own excellent build log on here. This will not have those issues but I'm sure a few others will come up along the way.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:40 PM, trickyrich said:

hope you have a shelf big enough for it!

A shelf is easy, its finding the wall to put the shelf on which is the issue.

33 minutes ago, Marklo said:

won’t you have to move to a bigger house

Under normal circumstances yes, but I've decided to throw the kids out which will generate more space.

• Haha 6

• 1 month later...

Change of plan!

I'd like to enter with the 1/32 Italeri F-35 as an F-35I Adir. I've already started it and only got as far as the cockpit:

I think this is well within the usual 25% rule, but would like to check if ok @trickyrich?

If not, I have a 1/144 Revell Z1 destroyer (Fletcher-class) which would fit the bill!

...and a "No I will not be building it" comment....but I have just ordered the new JetMADS AJ-37 Viggen!!   🥰 It's going to be awesome and even comes with those huge Robots!!!  :thumbsup:

Another reason I won't be building it as it's not released until late August. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 9:08 AM, trickyrich said:

...and a "No I will not be building it" comment....but I have just ordered the new JetMADS AJ-37 Viggen!!   🥰 It's going to be awesome and even comes with those huge Robots!!!  :thumbsup:

Another reason I won't be building it as it's not released until late August. 

So, in other words, you're simply showing off your latest purchase :P Sure it'll be good for the SAAB/Scania GB though :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Col. said:

So, in other words, you're simply showing off your latest purchase :P Sure it'll be good for the SAAB/Scania GB though :D 

I am thinking about it, though it would probably be the JA version.......either way both a very big builds, 4 months may not be enough time!!!

• Like 1

• trickyrich changed the title to "Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB - 20th May to 19th Nov

normally i would only remain everyone about a GB/STGB a week of 2 out from the start, but in this case it's probably a good idea. Being it is a very long and physically large build then it probably warrants it.

So with 5 week to go it's probably time to start clearing the bench space for these epic builds.

Unfortunately for me I have had to start one of my planned builds as I need to be completed for my club GB and being the more difficult of the 2 she's well under way. So I'll have to check the stash for another 1/32nd beastie....not too sure what it'll be yet....... a Viggen?

As for the started build, she's the "Splinter MiG", I have yet to finish off creating all the masks but at least the base model is underway....and want a beast it is too. Not as in it's a difficult build but more it's a huge steaming pile of :poop:!! Trumpeter at their finest....nothing really fits properly and you have huge gaps to fill, but the worse part is the front fuselage section is completely the wrong shape and the model is nearly a 1" to short! 

Really don't waste your time or money on this model, it's not worth it.....the only reason I have it this desperate desire to build a 1/32nd "Splinter MiG".

Plus the funniest bit is the reviewer of this model say's it's "definitely the best MiG-21 kit produced to date" and is highly recommended!!!   🤣    There were probably people who recommended the Plague as well! 

Anyway her are some pics...

IMG_7902-M.jpg

the lower wing gaps are filled with plastic strip...

IMG_7904-M.jpg

....don't ask.......

IMG_7905-M.jpg

...the Red Fox panels are the best bit of the model!

IMG_7903-M.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I will be building  a Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II.  I have the Hi-Tech boxing with a lot of resin included.   The only thing missing is an open engine compartment.  I received the CMK set from the Big H today so I'm good to go. :) 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I will be building  a Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II.  I have the Hi-Tech boxing with a lot of resin included.   The only thing missing is an open engine compartment.  I received the CMK set from the Big H today so I'm good to go. :) 

Oooo that does sound tasty!!!

I am very tempted to bring along either a 1/35th Kitty Hawk Blackhawk/Seahawk or Trumpie Mi-24 as the #2 build...will have to wait as see what pops up on the bench.....

• Like 2

I'll be wading in with the Special Hobby 1/32 Westland Whirlwind, it was a present from a friend quite a while ago and has just been sitting there collecting aftermarket ever since :D  I think it's overdue an airing.

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 4

I can say two things with certainty: 1. it will be 1/32  2. it will be a Hawker, BUT will it be an AlleyCat resin Hawker Fury biplane, a PCM injection moulded Hurricane I.......or an Echelon vac-form Hunter?!  Decisions, decisions......and no, it won't be all of them! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2