"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

On 1/8/2023 at 3:06 PM, galgos said:

Absolutely, the more the merrier! Welcome onboard Mark. Renaissance……Michelangelo or da Vinci? 😁

Probably more Caravaggio to be honest ;)

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

Time permitting, one or both of these?

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of the shops in Norwich (a rioght foin citee) has got the top kit- I'm intrigued by the 'fully working model' description. Just not intrigued enough to buy it this side of grandchildren!

Walberswick station has arrived

PXL-20230111-092311660.jpg

The box isn't very impressive but the amount of birch ply and vac formed roof certainly is! For a small station on an equally small railway it's huge! The cardboard template is the 'footprint' of the substantial goods shed at Mildenhall in my preferred 'n gauge! First thoughts are that there's going to be plenty of scope for detailing- unless I've missed something there's no door or window furniture for example.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Walberswick station has arrived

PXL-20230111-092311660.jpg

The box isn't very impressive but the amount of birch ply and vac formed roof certainly is! For a small station on an equally small railway it's huge! The cardboard template is the 'footprint' of the substantial goods shed at Mildenhall in my preferred 'n gauge! First thoughts are that there's going to be plenty of scope for detailing- unless I've missed something there's no door or window furniture for example.

And I expect there's to some fun to be had in the gents urinal (I could have phased that better), at the left of the picture. btw it was bad news for the ladies on the windswept Suffolk coast in the 1890s!!!

Well so far the only kit I have is my Wallace and grommet sidecar which is 1/18 but I’m toying with scratchbuilding something small in 1/32 or 1/24 possibly a grain kitten or a Wight quadruplane which I built in 1/48 last year.

4-EE820-D9-7576-4235-889-D-69-CCAAC73409

F2-A5-DD58-B963-4425-B9-F4-AD9118-FE5041

In I/24th the grain kitten would have a 9inch wingspan the Wight would be similar, hmm maybe I/28 to go with my Revell DR1 from last year… 

Hmm might even attempt all three….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

"Launch your own cruise missile at friends and family!" :D 

Sold! Ahem, I mean, interesting sales tactic :whistle:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Because cruise missiles are tactical weapons, you mustn't do it with a model ICBM though, even if next door's cat is really annoying you

Of course. That will require an entirely different strategy.

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2023 at 1:22 AM, airfixpeter said:

To clarify I have. 

1/24 airfix hellcat

1/24 new spitfire 

And the trumpeter 1/24 mk2 hurricane 

The only problem is witch one to build. 

Arrrr @Enzo the Magnificent, I think this man needs some help......... now what's your favourite saying.........  :D

• Haha 8

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'm in!

After watching too many YouTube videos of large scale Panzers being built by the Andy's Hobby HQ guy, I became weak and bought my first big (little) tank.

A £40 bargain from China.

YqJoNyzUgF5Goc37RdXahK3-zq7djFimYA_k6lvA

I'll be watching this one with great interest.. I think that in my heart I always know that one day I will also be buying a big little tank. Getting round to building it would of course be a completely different matter!

On 17/02/2023 at 09:32, Mjwomack said:

I'll be watching this one with great interest.. I think that in my heart I always know that one day I will also be buying a big little tank. Getting round to building it would of course be a completely different matter!

There is an inevitability to these things. Idle curiosity soon gives way to a few tentative searches and then by that point you may as well just get it over with and buy the damn thing.

I've had a peek inside and it doesn't have a staggering number of parts, not much more than a 1/35 version really. I don't have a good track record with interiors, but it's a diddy two man tank with the driver sat on the floor. Not much to it really. The engine looks like fun though.

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

I really love the FT I’m presently working in a 1/24 Scratchbuilt.

1/24 sounds a more practical than 1/16. I don't really have the space at home for this, and doubt that I will make anything else. I have a self-imposed 1/35 limit of 'nothing bigger than a Panzer III' but this is way bigger than that.

• Like 2

CF1557-E3-8-A4-B-4-DFE-982-F-FB444-D767-The FT isn’t very big. As you can see in 1/72 it’s about the same size as a postage stamp :) In 1/24 it’s still about the same size as something like the M3 Stuart in 1/35.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1