"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

I thought there'd be a whole bunch of Border Lancasters getting built for this one!!! 

Although is six months enough? 

I'm keen to do the B-17 build, which overlaps, so was going to build one of the Eduard 1/32 109e's I have. But then on Christmas day opened my Airfix Spitfire ix. Wow! 

So I think I'm in, but may stick to the 109e to stay comfortable in the time zone... 

As ever, looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

I have the Border Lanc Nick and seriously considered doing it in the GB, but given that it’s just taken me 4 months to build a Silver Wings Gauntlet I’m confident the time allowance isn’t enough. I’m probably doing the new Revell Hurricane, but who knows I have a wide choice in this scale! 

• Like 2

On 27/08/2022 at 23:32, Redstaff said:

Had a bit of a tidy up of the stash this afternoon. If this GB happens and its got a decent timescale, I'll throw my hat in the ring with one of these 😀 

20220827_173225

Brilliant collection :thumbsup:

The Bentley would be my first choice, being a lover of Classic Cars.

But please be careful when photographing multiple kits, his eminence @Enzo the Magnificentcomes over all unnecessary and we have to make him take the tablets again. :phew:

cheers Pat 

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant collection :thumbsup:

The Bentley would be my first choice, being a lover of Classic Cars.

But please be careful when photographing multiple kits, his eminence @Enzo the Magnificentcomes over all unnecessary and we have to make him take the tablets again. :phew:

cheers Pat 

Cheers Pat

The Bentley has passed on to someone else and the bottom 2 will be long term builds with all the detail kits which wouldnt be finished in a GB time frame. , So it'll be one of either the Tyrrell, Brabham or the Renault  BUT NOT ALL OF THEM ENZO......  🤣🤣

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Oh Glorious leader @trickyrich, Master of resin, Leader of the Biggest and therefore the best GB of 2023…….

well that’s enough of that

What is your ruling of this 1/10 scale automotive kit?

4CF9A671-BEB3-48EF-BB0A-A8BA1712D7EE

1/10th beast like this is fine......I'm just not sure about RC kits......I guess they are still models??? :shrug:

7 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Oh Glorious leader @trickyrich, Master of resin, Leader of the Biggest and therefore the best GB of 2023…….

well that’s enough of that

What is your ruling of this 1/10 scale automotive kit?

4CF9A671-BEB3-48EF-BB0A-A8BA1712D7EE

Oh nice, I have the perfect complement to that.

PXL_20210817_160804528-L.jpg

I got it last year from my sister for my 50th. One of my grail kits from when I was a kid. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

1/10th beast like this is fine......I'm just not sure about RC kits......I guess they are still models??? :shrug:

They are in a way, but just screwed together like a burrago metal type kit. Apart from painting the polycarbonate shell from the inside and adding stickers they're just assembly like Lego

But that's just my thoughts

• Like 1

Yes, my thoughts concern the construction method and complexity. If it’s just bolting together some large-ish pieces then I’m doubtful if it qualifies. Perhaps a peek of what’s in the box, or the instruction manual would give a clearer idea.

• Like 1

These sort of fall into the "grey zone" area which is Snap-Fit models, generally they are excluded from GB......though I have seen them start to sneak through at time.

Being they are models that could be build in an afternoon (maybe longer if the body is painted) are they really suitable for a GB which is double the normal GB length due to the complexities of the large scale models being built.

In this case I will go with consensus of my fellow builders as to what will be appropriate in this case plus of course @Enzo the Magnificent  thoughts....... once he's had breakfast and a wee post-breakfast nap!

• Like 1

If it’s a “snap fit” principle then it’s a “No” from me. The length of the GB has been extended due to the added complexity of larger scale models but this would seem to be flying in the face of all that.

• Like 4

I’m happy with what ever the ruling is on the RC Hilux. 
I have the Academy 1/35 Apache for this GB & somehow the new Takom 1/35 Apache E on pre order, although I’m not sure how that happened. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's a no from me tbh, like rich has said the build time for this GB has been extended so bigger more detailed models can be built, you could build one or even two of these in a weekend blitzbuild 

But having said that, I'm happy to go with the majority decision 

Ian 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I’m happy with what ever the ruling is on the RC Hilux. 
I have the Academy 1/35 Apache for this GB & somehow the new Takom 1/35 Apache E on pre order, although I’m not sure how that happened. 

I am glad you found something else to join in with, that takin Apache E is VERY high on my wish list!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Somehow missed this! Please put me down for a big aeroplane in 1/32 😊👍

Excellent, good to see another 1/32 plane in the fold! Any early thoughts Alan, never too soon to plan!! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Are 90mm (~1/20 scale) figures allowed?
I have this in the stash:

90-027_1.jpg

A Pegaso kit of a XVc Crossbowman

The initial brief says “figures larger than 1/32” Robert, so that fits the bill admirably! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, galgos said:

Excellent, good to see another 1/32 plane in the fold! Any early thoughts Alan, never too soon to plan!! 

Pretty much everything I build is 1/32, so it's a wide choice!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, galgos said:

Me too Alan, mostly pre-1970s but favouring the Golden Era of the 1930s. 

In that case, I'm going to pick out the Trumpeter F-117 as my prospective build. It's certainly big enough!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Alan P said:

In that case, I'm going to pick out the Trumpeter F-117 as my prospective build. It's certainly big enough!

I had to Google to see what that was! 😄 Looks fearsome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1