"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

50 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Say for 1/72nd at a minimum B-29 size or larger, and for 1/48th at least Lancaster in size. Ideally in both of these scales the model needs to be huge.

This is still very much open for discussion so am interested what other members think.

Hi Rich

Be careful that you don't open a can of worms here and create yourself a lot of aggro and extra work, IMHO the original sizes/scales etc was what people voted for and agreed upon as it was something different to the norm.

For instance, a 1/76 scale 9F steam loco is a big beast in real life, however as a kit it is quite small, a 1/35 tank transporter in real life is huge, in kit form, not so big.

There seem to be a lot of grey areas as to different peoples perceptions of big, The Titanic was big, but in 1/700 scale it wouldn't qualify, but in 1/350 it would, or would they both qualify as the subject is large 🤔

Do you see where my haddled brain is taking me?

1/72 and 1/48 aircraft are in the majority of most peoples favoured scales, so this could end up as a "normal" GB if 1/72 and 1/48 scales were included, rather than the Go large or go home title suggests

But that's just my opinion and I'll go with the flow as I'm still on for a 1/12th car of some description :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Rich

Be careful that you don't open a can of worms here and create yourself a lot of aggro and extra work, IMHO the original sizes/scales etc was what people voted for and agreed upon as it was something different to the norm.

For instance, a 1/76 scale 9F steam loco is a big beast in real life, however as a kit it is quite small, a 1/35 tank transporter in real life is huge, in kit form, not so big.

There seem to be a lot of grey areas as to different peoples perceptions of big, The Titanic was big, but in 1/700 scale it wouldn't qualify, but in 1/350 it would, or would they both qualify as the subject is large 🤔

Do you see where my haddled brain is taking me?

1/72 and 1/48 aircraft are in the majority of most peoples favoured scales, so this could end up as a "normal" GB if 1/72 and 1/48 scales were included, rather than the Go large or go home title suggests

But that's just my opinion and I'll go with the flow as I'm still on for a 1/12th car of some description :) 

Ian :) 

I agree with Ian.

If modellers want to build a large subject in 1/48 etc then they should be in another group build.

I think a different level of detail is what sets larger scale builds apart from the normal. A 1/48 Lancaster would (by me ) approached in the same way as a 1/48 Junkers ju88 .A 1/32 Spitfire being no larger in size would be approached with a finer degree to detail,

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 5

I'm in.  I'm either going to build the Heller Cotroën Mehari or the Italeri Landrover Fire Truck, both 1/24th.  

What I'd really like to do is find a 1/24th scale Model A kit (plastic) and kit bash it into one of Laszlo Almasy's desert trucks.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I'm in.  I'm either going to build the Heller Cotroën Mehari or the Italeri Landrover Fire Truck, both 1/24th.  

What I'd really like to do is find a 1/24th scale Model A kit (plastic) and kit bash it into one of Laszlo Almasy's desert trucks.

I thought vehicles had to be 1/19th scale or larger, or has that changed?

Ian 🤔

29 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Oh...terribly sorry.  I'm out then.  

I'd let @trickyrich confirm first, but I'm pretty sure that's the case

You would be able to build them in the TLC (transport loaders and carriers GB though I'm sure :)

Ian 

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Hi John, yes unfortunately 1/24th is a bit too small, only because it is really a common scale for cars etc, when really I was looking for the bigger and less common scales. But as Redstaff mentioned there is still a couple of GB's that will perfectly fit your planned build. Now on your next trip to the big smoke be sure to look for something in a HUGE scale, would love to have you join in...plus you'll have 6 months to build it!

@Redstaff & @Mottlemaster thanks guys for your opinions and thoughts on the subject very much appreciated, this is what I wanted!  :thumbsup:

I hadn't thought about large/huge subjects in the smaller scales when I first proposed this idea for a GB, so hence my asking members what they thought now. I normally like to keep the eligibility of builds nice and simple, but at the same time I really like to make as many people welcome as possible.

But I really would want to stay as true as possible to my original idea for this GB and you are completely right, so will leave it as it is.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm obviously deep in the throes of Groupbuild Fever at the moment.   In my febrile condition I may be about to do something very stupid indeed.

I have said thatI would like to build the Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II for this build.  That still stands.  However, I asked myself "what is the largest scale kit that I have in The Stash?"  Turns out it is the Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat.

So now I'm taking advice from Gideon to see if it is feasible.  :mental:   Somebody talk me out of it.   :please:

Who am I tryna kid?  Nobody's gonna talk me out of it...   :lol:  

W.W.E... oh, erm... never mind :shutup:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

This is a stoopid question, but would painting some parts on the sprues count towards the 25% started rule? First timer so more stoopid questions ahead 

cheers

While it would count towards the 25% it's highly unlikely to breach it :) 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

This is a stoopid question, but would painting some parts on the sprues count towards the 25% started rule? First timer so more stoopid questions ahead 

cheers

As Col mentioned some pre-painting is fine, some some even start some basic building. If you can keep temptation at bay and just do some painting all will be fine........I yes I know how hard it can be to resist building!!!  :D

Ok folks just a quick announcement, as you would have hopefully have seen this GB will now go for 6 months. So now there's no excuse to not build that absolute beast of a model that's taking up 1/2 the stash space!!! Just imagine how many new models you'll then be able to hide from SHMBO!!!!  :chair:    :D

Secondly I have to lovely Co-Host to help out with the occasional floggings, @galgos & @Stew Dapple, please welcome them. They'll shortly will be off to attend a class in the "Art of Flogging and Other Enjoyable Pursuits"!

Our start date is the 20th of May, so time to start planning as it'll come around far quicker than you can imagine.

With am I building, well 2 planned, both Trumpie models (I'm a sucker for punishment), their A-4M into an IDF A-4N, and their MiG-21MF in the Czech AF "Splinter MiG" scheme........ though there are a could of Zoukei-Mura beasts that have bought my eye....so you never know.

What is everyone else going to build???

• Like 5

Hmmm, not seen one of those built before Ernie, I’ll keep an eye out for it! 

Regarding Rich’s courses in flogging, as a long retired school master I might need some exercises to get my left arm back into condition, though the cane is still hanging behind the door. 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

At the moment plan A is this...

51892416813_266d5505c5_b.jpg

I had this on my wish list for a while, and finally found one recently, so looking forward to getting it on the bench.

I've not seen that model before....very nice!!!!  :thumbsup:

Add my name to the list please.

No need to ask if my intended contribution sneaks under the wire as I'll be having a crack at one of Monograms 1.8 scale '32 Fords.

A late forties/early fifties build has been on my wish list for quite a few years now. Best I finally do something about that.

Tony.

• Like 5

On 8/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, trickyrich said:

Now one of those Rail Cannons would be cool.......of which I actually have one that I must finish one day....gosh knows where I'll put her!

I can build a K-5 Leopold (1/35) railroad gun. Will it be allowed to participate?

I've got a 1/32 F-4G (shocker :lol:) earmarked for this.  Probably in the short lived wraparound SEA scheme before Euro1 became the standard.

The other possibility would be to continue the 1/32 B-25 I started a couple years back.....but I'm leaning Phantom as of now.

• Like 2