"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

22 hours ago, galgos said:

It's looking a bit "iffy" though isn't it? 

don't worry, the silence from rich just means he's working behind the scenes on constructing the marketing masterplan. theres nothing to worry about :fraidnot: I have complete faith in him.

• Haha 1

Hello @trickyrich

came home from work at 1 am yesterday and found a parcel containing this one:

p?i=4300373e37135ba52b380d6b26055ea0

it‘s a kit that I‘ve been looking for for a loooong time. It‘s 1/48, but it‘s certainly bigger than your usual 1/48 aircraft. Model dimensions will be 41,3 by 66,7cm. And it is something I don’t usually build, because I am in the pointy aircraft department. But somehow I really love the Catalina, and the dimensions of the kit really are a change to my usual fare. 

My question to you, would you accept this one in your GB?

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sam said:

Hello Rich,

it‘s a kit that I‘ve been looking for for a loooong time. It‘s 1/48, but it‘s certainly bigger than your usual 1/48 aircraft. Model dimensions will be 41,3 by 66,7cm. And it is something I don’t usually build, because I am in the pointy aircraft department. But somehow I really love the Catalina, and the dimensions of the kit really are a change to my usual fare. 

Sam

hi sam,

you should tag @trickyrich to get a response. (as he's a busy man working 24/7 programming the data into the mainframe for the bunfight stats.)

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, Sam said:

Hello @trickyrich

Sam

Hi Sam,

Nice models I saw one of these in real life on the weekend.

Technically no because it isn't larger than 1/32nd, even though in 1/48th it's a large model.  I never thought of this......

I'll say ok :thumbsup:  ......other like this be accepted or not individually.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Sam,

Nice models I saw one of these in real life on the weekend.

Technically no because it isn't larger than 1/32nd, even though in 1/48th it's a large model.  I never thought of this......

I'll say ok :thumbsup:  ......other like this be accepted or not individually.

Hello Rich,

thanks very much for the exception to policy, this is very kind of you 👍🏽  But if now you either will get bombarded by similar requests or other modelers find it unfair I shall withdraw it. If not, I will do my best to live up to the required standards (level of detail, etc). 

Let‘s see on what dates this GB will be scheduled. 

Sam

11 hours ago, Sam said:

Hello Rich,

thanks very much for the exception to policy, this is very kind of you 👍🏽  But if now you either will get bombarded by similar requests or other modelers find it unfair I shall withdraw it. If not, I will do my best to live up to the required standards (level of detail, etc). 

Let‘s see on what dates this GB will be scheduled. 

Sam

we should be fine, a bit of last minute tweaking before the GB starts is normal, and to be honest I didn't even think of those really large 1/48th beats that are out there. At the very worst if there is heaps of complaints (and there won't be) you just won't be able to put it into the main gallery. I now like to run a couple of gallery in my GB's. One for the main subject and one for all the other that don't quite fit that (previously built, over 25% built, etc), for me the most important part of the GB is getting as many member to join in and have lots of fun!

• Thanks 1

well folks we made it buy the skin of out teeth....to coin an old phrase!!

From looking like a certainty to just scraping in, but we made it.

There is an opening for a Co-Host position if anyones interested in, or silly enough to want to do it.

More later once we have dates for the build.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Hi Rich,

Does a 1/72 Boeing 737 qualify?

Lex

I think to be fair to the original idea, it has to be huge. I don't know what the model size will be for a 1/72nd B-737.

I won't say no, but would like to know what others think about big aircraft (or similar) in these smaller scales.

As I have mentioned I didn't think about this when I planned this GB, so am open to the idea....I would love to see a 1/48th B-36 or B-52! Any takers?  :D

I nearly jinxed this last night by clicking on 'buy now' but thought best to wait for the morning... HUGELY excited that this got through, so I've now ordered a railway station!

https://bolelasercraft.com/product/walberswick-station/

OK, it's a very small railway station, however it is comparatively local to me, or at least the village is! It's  1/22.5 scale (seems to be a requirement of model railways not to align with other interests- what was wrong with 1/24) and has a footprint of 32cm x 12cm 

Fortunately my best friend has a garden railway so that's his Christmas present for next year sorted at the same time😃

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I think to be fair to the original idea, it has to be huge. I don't know what the model size will be for a 1/72nd B-737.

I won't say no, but would like to know what others think about big aircraft (or similar) in these smaller scales.

As I have mentioned I didn't think about this when I planned this GB, so am open to the idea....I would love to see a 1/48th B-36 or B-52! Any takers?  :D

The 1/72 Boeing 737 is about 50 cm long.

I do have a 1/48 B-1B and B-52H in the stash but that is a lot of work in a short period and I really have no idea where to put it when done 😉

Hi @trickyrich

I assume as per earlier discussions that we are still trying for a 6 month slot as the normal 3 won't be enough for some of the larger more detailed builds to be completed?

Looking forward to it :) 

Ian 

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I nearly jinxed this last night by clicking on 'buy now' but thought best to wait for the morning... HUGELY excited that this got through, so I've now ordered a railway station!

https://bolelasercraft.com/product/walberswick-station/

OK, it's a very small railway station, however it is comparatively local to me, or at least the village is! It's  1/22.5 scale (seems to be a requirement of model railways not to align with other interests- what was wrong with 1/24) and has a footprint of 32cm x 12cm 

Fortunately my best friend has a garden railway so that's his Christmas present for next year sorted at the same time😃

sounds very interesting!

I do know form experience it's very hard to resist that "Buy Now" button.....resistance is futile! :D

2 hours ago, Lex77 said:

The 1/72 Boeing 737 is about 50 cm long.

I do have a 1/48 B-1B and B-52H in the stash but that is a lot of work in a short period and I really have no idea where to put it when done 😉

Oh!!!! Now you mentioned it, you just have too! :D

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi @trickyrich

I assume as per earlier discussions that we are still trying for a 6 month slot as the normal 3 won't be enough for some of the larger more detailed builds to be completed?

Looking forward to it :) 

Ian 

I don't know if we can or could get that much time.....

... @Enzo the Magnificent what do you think? Am ok to move this around if needed be.., maybe not 6 months but a wee bit longer?

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

what do you think? Am ok to move this around if needed be.., maybe not 6 months but a wee bit longer?

Given that the whole point of this GB is to encourage people to take on larger projects, I think an extended run is a reasonable thing to do.  If we treat it like a Classic GB, that gives an end date of 19 Nov 2023.  

• Thanks 3

Great to hear this is going forward. Most of my stash is 1/32 aircraft so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable. 

Over on LSM, the original focus was on 1/32 scale or larger aircraft and likewise for armour but they've since amended it to anything that's big regardless of scale. Sounds like that could be a similar approach here? 

Carl

• Like 1

Its a pity those old retired chaps are well past the 25% rule or they would have smashed it as winners.  Cant get bigger than 1/1 scale and look at all that rigging

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63584737

They have been working on that one for twenty odd years so well done chaps and treat yourselves to a cup of tea or two.  The article says they have started on their second build  I wonder what it is?

• Haha 1

I'm obviously deep in the throes of Groupbuild Fever at the moment.   In my febrile condition I may be about to do something very stupid indeed.

I have said thatI would like to build the Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II for this build.  That still stands.  However, I asked myself "what is the largest scale kit that I have in The Stash?"  Turns out it is the Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat.

So now I'm taking advice from Gideon to see if it is feasible.  :mental:   Somebody talk me out of it.   :please:

Who am I tryna kid?  Nobody's gonna talk me out of it...   :lol:  

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Great to hear this is going forward. Most of my stash is 1/32 aircraft so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable. 

Over on LSM, the original focus was on 1/32 scale or larger aircraft and likewise for armour but they've since amended it to anything that's big regardless of scale. Sounds like that could be a similar approach here? 

Carl

I am now thinking along those likes as well.

A first draft thought is for 1/48th and 1/72nd large (as in very) say a combined measurement (length + width) greater than say 1000mm or 36". My 1/48th F-111 & Su-24 are ~850mm (length + width)

Say for 1/72nd at a minimum B-29 size or larger, and for 1/48th at least Lancaster in size. Ideally in both of these scales the model needs to be huge.

This is still very much open for discussion so am interested what other members think.

11 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm obviously deep in the throes of Groupbuild Fever at the moment.   In my febrile condition I may be about to do something very stupid indeed.

I have said thatI would like to build the Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II for this build.  That still stands.  However, I asked myself "what is the largest scale kit that I have in The Stash?"  Turns out it is the Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat.

So now I'm taking advice from Gideon to see if it is feasible.  :mental:   Somebody talk me out of it.   :please:

Who am I tryna kid?  Nobody's gonna talk me out of it...   :lol:  

....you know you want to!!!  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2