"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

On 8/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, vppelt68 said:

Revell just brought out the G-2/4 version of their nice 1:32 Bf 109. It's actually a lot smaller (284mm*310mm) than a 1:72 B-17 (321mm*440mm) (L*S). I'm in! V-P

Nice! :thumbsup:

I have this little baby that would be more than suitable....

IMG_7268-M.jpg

Plus my second "Tuffed Duck" should be here next week!!!  :yahoo: :wub:

• Like 5

At last count there's one each of a Hurricane, Spitfire, Typhoon, and Sea Harrier in 24th scale lurking in the stash. For 12th scale bikes it's a Virago 750, CB750, Ducati 888 and 916, Bimota Tesi, and YZF R1M but with plenty more tempting kits around. For the 32nd scale aircraft there's seven (yes, really) Hawker Hunter, an F-4F Phantom, F4U-1D Corsair, and - as of this morning's post - two F-5E Tiger II

2022-08-11_08-09-24

Doubt I'll have worked through all any of those by the time this GB goes live so plenty to choose from :blush:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Col. said:

At last count there's one each of a Hurricane, Spitfire, Typhoon, and Sea Harrier in 24th scale lurking in the stash. For 12th scale bikes it's a Virago 750, CB750, Ducati 888 and 916, Bimota Tesi, and YZF R1M but with plenty more tempting kits around. For the 32nd scale aircraft there's seven (yes, really) Hawker Hunter, an F-4F Phantom, F4U-1D Corsair, and - as of this morning's post - two F-5E Tiger II

Doubt I'll have worked through all any of those by the time this GB goes live so plenty to choose from :blush:

Some nice choices there Col!

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would probably consider something like that, a Rail Cannon or the Mörser Mortar, or similar huge beast I would considered, guess I'd wait until asked.

Guess I'd better start a list now......:D

• Like 3

I may be up for this depending on what time scale gets agreed on as I've a fair selection of 1/12 F1 cars in the stash, but I'd never be able to build one in a normal GB slot, especially during the Summer months when my bench time is very limited anyway as my time is limited with other commitments and endeavours. September/October start would be preferable 

I've also got a 1/24 P51 Mustang that I keep threatening to build, but I just don't know where I'd put it if I built it, that's why it's sat there for 30 odd years to date 

Can you put me down as a maybe please, depending on details TBC :) 

Ian

• Like 2

I'd have a go on this one.  I have a few options I could do.  It does strike me that there would be a time scale issue if the usual period was allocated for a GB maybe?  Imagine trying to fit in life around a 1/32 HK B-17 or Lancaster or anything with more than two engines  - or even two engines for that matter.  For example I've a 1/32 Ju-87 that was started two years ago and still not past the cockpit stage :(.  Maybe I could enter that and get it finished if combined with the next KUTA GB :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I'd have a go on this one.  I have a few options I could do.  It does strike me that there would be a time scale issue if the usual period was allocated for a GB maybe?  Imagine trying to fit in life around a 1/32 HK B-17 or Lancaster or anything with more than two engines  - or even two engines for that matter.  For example I've a 1/32 Ju-87 that was started two years ago and still not past the cockpit stage :(.  Maybe I could enter that and get it finished if combined with the next KUTA GB :D

I Agree John,  without an extended timescale choices of kits to enter ,for most people with other obligations ,

will be limited .

All those special kits that we wish to savour , super detail and generally take our time over to extract maximum enjoyment (for me something like a Aims 1/32 Mistel conversion) can almost never be entered in a regular group build.

I think that a ONE year time frame should provide the space for the completion of lots of great large scale builds.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know this is 1/35 but I expect it will be a monster of a kit for anyone interested. 

Ooh I like. Now would a 1/35 Panzer Maus qualify.

Then again I might just stick with Wallace and grommet and some 1/24 P38(t) derivatives.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I'm not going to buy a 1:32 Ju 88. My home is not a scale aircraft hangar big enough for one. But I'm definitely tempted by the idea. I must resist. The more I think of this, the more reasonable a Bf 109 in the same scale gets :giggle:

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I Agree John,  without an extended timescale choices of kits to enter ,for most people with other obligations ,

will be limited .

All those special kits that we wish to savour , super detail and generally take our time over to extract maximum enjoyment (for me something like a Aims 1/32 Mistel conversion) can almost never be entered in a regular group build.

I think that a ONE year time frame should provide the space for the completion of lots of great large scale builds.

Cheers

Alistair

yeah if this one gets to the voting stage I would ask Enzo if for this GB it was extended to 6 months, think that would be the right amount of time. Any longer and things might stagnate.

@Enzo Matrix what are your thoughts on this? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm not going to buy a 1:32 Ju 88. My home is not a scale aircraft hangar big enough for one. But I'm definitely tempted by the idea. I must resist. The more I think of this, the more reasonable a Bf 109 in the same scale gets :giggle:

You mean on top of the Ju88 in a Mistel combination? :D

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

You mean on top of the Ju88 in a Mistel combination? :D

:giggle:

But as much as I like both the 109 and the 88, I dislike their combination! A Mistel would probably be the last Luftwaffe subject I'd want to build. V-P

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Oi, @trickyrich :poke:, I know I’m the constant pain in your side, in inescapable shadow :cheers:,but there’s no need to ignore me and not add me to your list. That’s just plain rude :mental:.

only if you do a 1:1 Chook to go with the Egg!!!  🤣

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yeah if this one gets to the voting stage I would ask Enzo if for this GB it was extended to 6 months, think that would be the right amount of time. Any longer and things might stagnate.

@Enzo Matrix what are your thoughts on this? 

It seems a reasonable proposition.  The Classic GBs have a six month duration. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

So what are you going to build @trickyrich?  1/32 is your "normal" scale.  :P

I'll keep an eye on this.  I've got more than I should...and another one followed me home a few weeks ago...despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise.  I have a couple helos, couple figures, 3 or 4 bikes, and 3 or 4 aircraft to pick from the stash.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

So what are you going to build @trickyrich?  1/32 is your "normal" scale.  :P

I'll keep an eye on this.  I've got more than I should...and another one followed me home a few weeks ago...despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise.  I have a couple helos, couple figures, 3 or 4 bikes, and 3 or 4 aircraft to pick from the stash.

well I do have a 1/24th P-47D in the stash!! :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hello Rich … Im not normally one for the big scales like this but You've got me looking at big planes now. So put me on as a tentative yes just no guarantee’s. Im thinking Special hobby Tempest or Whirlwind (WW2 twin not Helo). If not one of them it will be the HK Meteor as Ive been kind of drooling over that one for awhile. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

This thread has made me big scale curious! I’ve never built bigger than 1/72, so I’m being naive and crazy-brave when I say sign me up! But sign me up. I reckon Tamiya’s 1/32 aircraft look incredible. Probably a Mk VIII Spit if I’m being cautious or a Phantom if I can stretch the model paint budget! :giggle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:02 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rich … Im not normally one for the big scales like this but You've got me looking at big planes now. So put me on as a tentative yes just no guarantee’s. Im thinking Special hobby Tempest or Whirlwind (WW2 twin not Helo). If not one of them it will be the HK Meteor as Ive been kind of drooling over that one for awhile. 

either of those would be a nice build, that Whrilwind has been tempting me for ages!! The HK Meteor would be a gorgeous beast! 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, Wings unlevel said:

This thread has made me big scale curious! I’ve never built bigger than 1/72, so I’m being naive and crazy-brave when I say sign me up! But sign me up. I reckon Tamiya’s 1/32 aircraft look incredible. Probably a Mk VIII Spit if I’m being cautious or a Phantom if I can stretch the model paint budget! :giggle:

It's s slippery slop once you start!!!  :D Those Tamiya 1/32nd beasts are some of the best out there, not cheap but are very special models. Even some of the Hasegawa 1/32nd models are worth a good look, their P-40 series are beautiful but unfortunately as a result for the most part had to find, especially the P-40M & N models.

IMG_3550-M.jpg

Actually for all of next years GB's I'm going to try and only build 1/32nd and above aircraft....will be an interesting challenge. My 2nd 1/32nd Viggen will be on it's way next week, so am planning to start the first one as soon as my P-38 is finished (for the P-38 STGB).

• Like 2

• trickyrich changed the title to "Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB @18

Had a bit of a tidy up of the stash this afternoon. If this GB happens and its got a decent timescale, I'll throw my hat in the ring with one of these 😀 

20220827_173225

• Like 5

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It's s slippery slop once you start!!!  :D

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Actually for all of next years GB's I'm going to try and only build 1/32nd and above aircraft....will be an interesting challenge.

I can see that it’s quiet the slippery slope, that’s an awesome challenge! Beautiful Kittyhawk by the way, I’ll have to set up an eBay saved search for one! (Although apparently Trumpeter’s is pretty decent too?) And the Tamiya Spits look beautiful… 🤔

5 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

I can see that it’s quiet the slippery slope, that’s an awesome challenge! Beautiful Kittyhawk by the way, I’ll have to set up an eBay saved search for one! (Although apparently Trumpeter’s is pretty decent too?) And the Tamiya Spits look beautiful… 🤔

thanks, unfortunately you seem to be only able to get their P-40E these days and it's not cheap. Occasionally one of the later version show up and they are super pricy! I was lucky sometime back to get the special Eduard version for the P-40N. At the time I didn't know just how good they were (or that they were originally a Hasegawa model), am kicking myself that I didn't buy a few more, that one cost $80, you could easily put a 1 in front of that price now!! 

• Like 1