"Go Large or Go Home" - Large Scale GB Chat

trickyrich

I have been thinking about this one for quite a few years but never posted the idea for many reasons, so here we go.

This GB would be for the big scales, there are a lot of us that have slowly over the years started drifting into larger scales for models.......much to the determent of storage/bench/shelf space!!!!

But there are plenty of us out there that can't help themselves, plus working in larger scales does help the eyes.........until you start adding all the extra wee AM bits!!!

So the eligible build scales, the model has to be greater, as in a larger scale than listed.....if that makes sense!  :unsure:

• Aircraft - 1/32nd and larger (the 1/35th Choppers will be ok)
  • AFV's - 1/32nd and larger  (Airfix & monogram have some real classics in this scale) if you have a huge 1/35th AFV model then please just ask.
  • Automotive - 1/19th and larger
  • Ships - 1/300th and larger
  • Figures - 1/10th and larger than 1/32nd
  • Trains - 1/70th and larger

With all these (except aircraft) I have chosen a scale greater than the really common ones. For aircraft I started from 1/32nd as if I restricted it to those above the range drops significantly and the cost rises exponentially!! 

so come on, go large or go home!!  :D

........... and go list!!

1, trickyrich - Host

2, Marklo

3, Ale85

4, Mjwomack

5, Stu_davros

6, Mottlemaster

7, Adam Poultney

8, psdavidson

9, JOCKNEY

10, IanC

11, Col.

12, Stu Dapple

13, vppelt68

14, Redstaff

15, JohnT

16, helios16v

17, Corsairfoxfouruncle

18, Wings unlevel

19, JeroenS

20, Cammer625

21, galgos

22, Arnice

23, Enzo Matrix

24, Pin

25, Dansk

26, Moggy

27, 48-Alone-Is-Great

28, Thom216

29, Angus Tura

30, FG2Si

• Like 2

Well I build small things in large scales so I’ve taken to building racers in 1/32 and lately AFVs in 1/24, though I’ve yet to complete one at this scale. So I’ll join in with one or one of each.

• Like 1

Great idea

Can we assume that we may need to invest more time in completing a large scale model without a time scale encouraging us to rush it . Something like the 1/24

Airfix Hawker Typhoon could easily take longer than 3 months

Perhaps a 9 month timeframe would encourage members to participate with some of their "Special " kits

It would also make successful completion more likely if a start date of around September for us in Northern Hemisphere as days shorten and modelling time increases.

I would love to have a cracking on with said Typhoon or 1/24 Mosqueto or maybe ZM Heinkel  219.

Please put my name down whatever.

Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

Actually I had been thinking of a similar GB but as well as the large scales I was thinking that big things in small scales would be admitted eg models of say the Deathstar or the Empire State but in 1:1200 scale which would still be very large models ( I think the Bandai Death Star is 1/12900000!)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

What scale for railway/ building etc?  1:43 is.o gauge in railway speak or 1/32 is gauge 1

For buildings 1/12 is dolls house, but that IS big

You know someone was going to ask 

Arrr I was hoping someone would bring up rail/train thingy's, for these I need some advice on what would be a larger than normal scale. If 1 Gauge is big then let them break free!!!

The idea for the build is models much larger than we normally build. I know there are lot of us that have these beasts lurking in the stash just waiting their release on the masses!!! :D

4 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Great idea

Can we assume that we may need to invest more time in completing a large scale model without a time scale encouraging us to rush it . Something like the 1/24

Airfix Hawker Typhoon could easily take longer than 3 months

Perhaps a 9 month timeframe would encourage members to participate with some of their "Special " kits

It would also make successful completion more likely if a start date of around September for us in Northern Hemisphere as days shorten and modelling time increases.

I would love to have a cracking on with said Typhoon or 1/24 Mosqueto or maybe ZM Heinkel  219.

Please put my name down whatever.

Cheers Alistair

Well we can always ask Enzo the Huge and Magnificence for a special dispensation for this GB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Arrr I was hoping someone would bring up rail/train thingy's, for these I need some advice on what would be a larger than normal scale. If 1 Gauge is big then let them break free!!!

With railway/-road models, in my opinion anything larger than 1:76 (British) and 1:87 (the rest of the world) should be regarded as "larger than normal". :2c:

V-P

• Like 2

Lessee, I should have the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat and Vosper MTB in the stash somewhere, those are 1/72 so should meet the criteria

Or, as a cop-out 🤪 the Higgins LCVP

Count me in with one or more of the above

/P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

With railway/-road models, in my opinion anything larger than 1:76 (British) and 1:87 (the rest of the world) should be regarded as "larger than normal". :2c:

V-P

Yep, I'd say this is sensible (which is why I didn't suggest it🤣)

• Haha 4

Great idea Rich.

Just a thought, but many people on here default to 1/72 for aircraft and 1/76 or 1/72 for AFVs, so 1/35 rather than 1/32 for AFVs would allow a lot more people to join and more build options ?

I've got an ancient Revell 1/32 Me262 Nightfighter which would be my victim of choice.

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great idea Rich.

Just a thought, but many people on here default to 1/72 for aircraft and 1/76 or 1/72 for AFVs, so 1/35 rather than 1/32 for AFVs would allow a lot more people to join and more build options ?

I've got an ancient Revell 1/32 Me262 Nightfighter which would be my victim of choice.

Cheers Pat

I did think about the 1/35th AFV's quite a bit, but in some ways they're like the 1/48th scale aircraft today. They are larger then 1/72nd, but the scale very very popular today.  A few years back aircraft in 1/48th was considered a large scale and 1/32nd an above, well enormous! 

Fast forward to now and 1/48th aircraft is quite a popular scale, and 1/32nd is now considered the large scale......... 1/24th will always be for those with more money than sense!!! 🤣

As a kid 1/35th AFV's were huge, I still have my King Tiger I built nearly 40 years ago (I actually have my Airfix OO/OH tanks and figures from 50 odd years ago...god I'm old!! :crying:), now you can get AFV's in 1/16th scale and 1/35th is a super popular scale for AFV's.

So I agree with what you're saying completely, but for this case I'm hoping to give members a chance to bring out and build those truly big/huge models. 

So for AFV's 1/35th will be ok, but I'd really like to see the big ones, say bigger than an M1A1 Abrams or such, but a 1/35th Jeep.....really?. Now one of those Rail Cannons would be cool.......of which I actually have one that I must finish one day....gosh knows where I'll put her!

I have adjusted to rules a bit, so let me know what you think, still open to a bit of massage....... the rules that is!! :D

A Revell 1/32nd Me-262, nice!!!! I had a Hasegawa one, which got lost in one of my many moves.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 1:30 AM, trickyrich said:

AFV's - 1/32 or 1/35th but it needs to be one of those massive ones...well bigger than an M1A1 Abram tank!)

Two things appeal to me here. Having another go at the Airfix 1/32 Crusader which I first built in 1976, or a 1/35 Maus - they don't come much bigger than that! 🙂 

• Like 2

I’d more less take 1/35 as a standard for AFVs it was widespread when I was a kid, although I do have quite a few 1/72 AFVs which I suppose is also a default too. I’ve recently started scratching AFVs in 1/24 but so far they’ve been small subjects like the Hetzer or the Renault FT I might go for something bigger in that scale if this GB goes ahead.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

ok, will leave it as 1/32nd and bigger.

I helped my son build that Airfix 1/32nd Crusader, many years ago......like me with AFV's, he didn't finish it either!!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ok, will leave it as 1/32nd and bigger.

I helped my son build that Airfix 1/32nd Crusader, many years ago......like me with AFV's, he didn't finish it either!!! :D

A chip off the old block :rofl2:

• Haha 1