Battleship Bretagne - France - 3D realisation - 1:200 scale

Very impressive, even opulent work. I am wondering though, would it not have been easier to use some generic PE railings instead of printing them on? 0,3mm resin railings must be awfully fragile, and would be had to repair if damaged. Same would be true for the vertical and inclined ladders. Anyway, best of luck, and thanks for sharing.

Tks all!

@ Micha_Pol

I didn't UV harden the parts with the railing, so it's still quite flexible and much less fragile, you don't have to wait too long to paint them, and it doesn't harden with daylight.

A model remains very fragile anyway in general. Touch only if necessary and for the rest of the time with the eyes only.
The advantage is that you can make copies of the parts as often as necessary.

PE like the two Tom's Modelworks tracks is more fragile and the tubes are flat and not round.

Painting, placing, gluing the fittings of the forecastle, everything is of course not yet in place.

Deck 2 is not yet glued, only the 140mm guns are.

20230110221529.png

20230110221605.png

20230110222226.png

20230110222250.png

• Like 11

The French used green a lot, makes for a great finish and a nice change from boring grey and red...  I've seen a lot of French ship models in France, some fascinating takes on design in the pre-dreadnought era.. I bit bonkers perhaps but fascinating nonetheless.  BTW, the RN had some weird flights of fancy as well, it was a crazy time

Great model coming together Pascal, looking forward to seeing the end result

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Tks! 👍

I decided after some tests along the forecastle to make the railings in PE. It's fine at 1/100 for long lengths, but at 1/200 it's not conclusive. When I print them vertically it's fine, like the one already printed, but in the HZ direction it's not good enough.

I have started to replace the PE railings on the front castle, I will keep the matte ones, in resin.

This PE I know well is difficult to handle. But the result is good.

https://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_38&products_id=180&osCsid=vr1hnp71i8f095s2bqlcukoqv3
2002.jpg

You can see the difference in "diameter" with the resin.

Note that the railings on these ships were very thin because they were made of solid iron, not hollow tubes like now.

20230112231708.png

There are still some accessories to be mounted here.

20230112231846.png

• Like 8

That resin printed chain looks the business, it's incredible what can be achieved these days with this technology

Wise move on the railings, I would just break them, probably near the end when a repair is really tough to do well  :doh:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bissyboat said:

This is a well documented thread with 3D images, photos and back info. Looking forward to see it being actually built. 😉

Hmm, as far as I can tell there are a lot of build photos already... Large parts of the model appear to be ready. Right? Or do you mean completely built?

Edited by Kilroy1988

18 minutes ago, Kilroy1988 said:

Hmm, as far as I can tell there are a lot of build photos already... Large parts of the model appear to be ready. Right? Or do you mean completely built?

Built physically as a model.

10 minutes ago, bissyboat said:

Silly me. I see the WIP photos now. I did´nt see the last update before the previous post. I stand corrected. 😅

Yes, if you go back to page 7 of the thread you can see where he began to have the hull printed and assembled. A very cool process! Cheers!

Tks all! 

I continued the aging of the hull with a black Tamiya juice for the antifouling part, which darkened it as desired and a little rust sparingly.

I continued the assembly of the front superstructure. The triplex tubes are to be painted white.

Still a lot of support to be mounted (Pilotis) under the catwalks.

20230115233239.png

20230115233307.png

20230115233336.png

20230115233502.png

20230115233552.png

20230115233638.png

20230115233742.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bissyboat said:

Shaping up beautifully. You even have crew members on the bridge. 👍

Not yet, these are two sighting devices on the bridge.

Very difficult to find French sailors at 1/200. 

I will have to draw and print them myself probably.

20230116104648.png

27 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Painting this vessel is a huge challenge, very impressed wiht the start you've made :worthy:

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve, not simple, not so much references available with the differents colors..

The aging is also delicate. The bridge and superstructure will be less weathered.  The boat is almost new in 1916. And it is always easier for the crews to paint them than the hull.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

The bridge and superstructure will be less weathered

This is an interesting observation and a key distinction 👍

Weathering is not the same all over, hulls were scratched, dirty and the waterline had weed and rust while the decks and superstructure were kept pretty clean, in particular pre-WW1, it was a major thing to be proud of and it kept an idle crew busy.  I think in war-time, this would have slipped somewhat on smaller vessels but the battleships didn't actually get into action that often so lots of time to paint

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I'm focusing on the bridge and its superstructure for the moment because it's a complex element in itself and therefore needs to be assembled and painted.

Fitting the stanchions (supports) of the different decks, not easy.

Replacing the arms on the top of the mast with piano wire, it went well because the resin had to be drilled to fit them in. I'm happy with the result, a good solid base for the rigging later.

I printed the projectors, the two arms are very fragile, you have to take precautions when handling them. A first paint job in Revelle 90 metallic grey so that the interior is lighter in transparency, then a coat of Humbrol 144 matt grey. It looks good.

20230117223857.png

20230117223927.png

20230117224001.png

20230117225702.png

20230117225814.png

20230117225929.png

20230117230030.png

• Like 8

Progressing very well Pascal, love those projectors.

One challenge you may have is with the comparison between the printed railings and the etched ones which may make the printed ones look somewhat heavy.  Just wondered if you have considered this and if so, what is your proposed solution

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I prefer to leave it like that. It's much less obvious in person, more in pictures.

On the other hand, the 1/200 PE boards from Toms Modelwork have gone up in price, I've been buying from them since 2000, I've seen the price increase through the invoices. 31.5$ to 36$ + shipping from USA (not too expensive).

In fact the PE will cost me the price of 3 ships like this one in resin. Because you need a lot of it and not all the PE board is usable. There is not much of it on board 1 and board 2 is not going to be of any use to me except 1 railing. It is very fragile and there is a waste sometimes. By the way, at the top of the photo on the right, you can see that it is already deformed in the packaging.

I would have preferred a thicker sample.

20230118144023.png

2002.jpg

• Like 3