Kitbash! Academy F4F Wildcat ~ Amodel F4F-3S Wildcatfish. 1/72.

Time for a Kit-bash!:yikes:

Last time I did a kit bash was such a great success that its time to do another one! I made one good kit of a Helldiver out of two kits that had different things wrong with them.

A couple of years back I bought the Amodel Wildcatfish kit Screenshot-2022-08-05-at-19-03-47.png, I started to build it, assembled the fuselage and went to fit the wings only to find that one wing is lower than the other!:wall: Since the wings are attached to the sponsons (and vice-versa) this would leave the whole model sitting cockeyed.:huh:

IMG-1018.jpg Look at the wing roots.

I was a little annoyed but I thought about it for a while and kept the kit anyway, decided that I could always base a conversion around an F4F fighter kit, so I bought a little ol' Academy kit for about £2 on eBay A74-D5-D7-C-42-B2-4800-9555-DCB9-A560978 and put both away for now. That little Academy kit might be quite basic but in fact it has some very nice panel features on it!:surprised:

Now I have had some success with the Sword Seamew kit; its now had two coats of Insignia White on the underside, (needs a couple more), I thought it was time I got this little project started. The Amodel must be an early kit; its terrible, but I made a start anyway, I'll just merge the two kits together! I already have two little F4F models as diecasts so there is no point in having a third just now, but I could make a 'special' seaborne version of the Wildcat.:idea:

IMG-1019.jpg The parts for both kits.

IMG-1020.jpg

IMG-1021.jpg

IMG-1022.jpg

IMG-1023.jpg

I'll build the Academy kit and just transfer the parts for the other kit into that, I wont need landing gear as it has two large sponsons instead although there is beaching gear for it. Getting started wasnt as easy as that though because I needed to blank off the landing gear bay before I start assembling the fuselage! I got started on that today. I opened up the faulty fuselage and I saved the ventral fin and the pilots coaming on the Amodel is better so I cut that out too and the two blank panels covering the landing gear bays. I used the latter to blank-off the landing gear voids.:idea:

IMG-1026.jpg

IMG-1027.jpg
 I also had to rub the two circular panels thin around the edges so that the panels will sit flush. I needed to use these as they had the correct curve of the lower fuselage in the plastic, saved having to try and bend little plastic circles!:cool:

In between painting the Seamew I'll do bits of the Wildcatfish too! I'll have to improvise most of the way because the parts are transferrable but the setting/mounting holes are on the duff kit.

• Like 5

Got some work done on this today, painted the interior and inside the cowling, glued in two very small squares of the little tabs with numbers on that you see on the sprues, just to cover the two little holes above the wheel recesses on the inside of the fuselage and later on I put a little bit of filler in on the outside. I painted the pilots seat and the joystick and painted the engine, cut off the tailwheel coz I wont need it, and shaved a long slot under the rear of the fuselage for the lower fin extension, that will be fitted once the fuselage is closed over. I also assembled the halves of the wings together. I'm hoping to close the fuselage tomorrow.

IMG-1028.jpg The engine is now all painted and assembled, just a couple of touches to do.

IMG-1029.jpg I painted the insides.

IMG-1031.jpg These are the two little 'squareas' I filled in, I want this done before I close up the fuselage. I'll smooth them tomorrow.

Its moving, steadily. (I mean the model).😂🤣

• Like 4

Smart move :) 
I guess I was lucky mine didn't have that issue.
y4myWaZoIF-HZ9TVPtAFYjZABcE1vD05W4vsjj23

The Amodel plastic is a bit soft, so with care the bottom strake would be a straightforward transplant.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Smart move :) 
I guess I was lucky mine didn't have that issue.
y4myWaZoIF-HZ9TVPtAFYjZABcE1vD05W4vsjj23

The Amodel plastic is a bit soft, so with care the bottom strake would be a straightforward transplant.

Yours is looking great! Did you paint yours with intermediate blue, or blue/grey?

i’ll have to cut two little slots out of the tail plane to fit the little rudders, I can’t see it being too much of a problem really, I’ll just take my time with it.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your Catfish! Now I have an idea what mine will be like, cheers.👍😀

• Like 1

I used the following main colours (2 different paint mfgs each to make it less monotone)

bottoms: Vallejo Model Air 71.298 M.485 NS Light grey, Mr.Hobby H51 Light Gull Grey
topside: VMA 71.109 PRU Blue & AK Realcolour RC256 M485 NS blue grey
Engine crankcase VMA 71.047 Engine grey, Internals VMA 71.139 Field drab for Bronze green interior

:work: Done a bit more on this today.

On the Academy kit there are two holes to fit drop tanks; I filled these in, no drop tanks required. I used a needle file to open the machine gun ports and make them circular in appearance and used the pinnace to drill and open up the air intakes under the wings.

IMG-1041.jpg

I have done a few bits and bobs on the fuselage too; I glued in a plastic tab to block the hole for the stand (the academy kit comes with a stand), and extended the slot under the rear of the fuselage backwards so that the under-fin lines up with the rearmost of the rudder edge, fitted the under-fin and again fitted a plastic tab in the resultant slot in front of it to block it up; I'll spread some filler and rub both areas nice and smooth. I did some careful shaping for the centre between where the two wheels would have been, all smoothed out, much tidier. :nod:

A detail I'm always conscious of on a model is the engine exhausts, and there were just two circles marked into the plastic so I found two short pieces of WD-40 straw and drilled two appropriate sized holes to put them in. The ring around the front of the engine cowling has a little air vent in it so I drilled that out too!:surprised:

IMG-1034.jpg Just needs a final rub with 2000 grade. The engine exhaust ports are now drilled out.

IMG-1035.jpg

IMG-1036.jpg I always open up things like this.

IMG-1037.jpg I wanted this under-fin fitted as far back as possible. It left a small space in front which I glued in a plastic tab into. I have also fitted and glued in the little pipes for the exhausts, I'll give them a trim tomorrow and cut them in line with the underside.

IMG-1038.jpg The little tab in front of the under-fin will be cut off tomorrow and some filler spread on the area.

I also started cutting the beaching wheels out of the sprue and tidying them up ready to be painted, and filled in a small line between both halves of one of the sponsons, there was a gap there.

My final task was to start preparing the tailplane, both of which have a small outriding auxiliary fin and rudder attached. I was considering using the Amodel parts for the tailplane but the surface details on them were not as good as on the Academy kit and the fit was different too. I carefully cut a slot in the end of the tailplane pieces and gently filed it open so that the fins and rudders will fit nicely in there when ready; one has a little bit of wire in it, it will keep the fin in a straight line when I come to glue them. I may fit the horizontals to the model and fit the verticals later, I have some work to do in lining up the legs for the sponsons to do yet.

IMG-1039.jpg This part is an Amodel tailplane; the Academy parts have better detail on them and a different fitting too.

IMG-1040.jpg These are the Academy tail parts. The wire is to keep the fin sitting straight in the gap for when I'm ready to glue these, more a reminder than anything else; if there is any slight hole or gap left I can take care of it with a little PVA on the end of a cocktail stick.:idea:

I like to do all these little preparatory jobs while there isn't much more I can actually do on the model itself, its always good to be able to fit on a parts thats been painted up and glued. Got plenty of fettling and fiddling done today, I'm rather pleased.:cool:

• Like 1

Today I fitted the wings and tail! Looks more like an aircraft now!

IMG-1044.jpg The wings look rather straight here; I have since then, put the correct amount of angle in the wings by inserting a pin in each wing root under the wing to take up a gap and lift each wing to the correct angle; I put on some liquid poly and I'll let that set over night and see how it looks tomorrow. The wings being too flat in angle was creating confusion in how I'll fit the arms and sponsons properly!

IMG-1046.jpg

Next stage is to work out how to fit the sponsons and their legs! My model doesn't have the cut outs in the fuselage because I had to replace the fuselage! Nor does it have the holes for the legs to be fitted! I've marked where the holes should be but it doesn't guarantee it will work out!

• Like 3

Got some done on this today; painted its beaching wheels, propeller and glued the central spar group to the underside of the model; I then checked the fit of where the downlinks come from the wing so that I could drill the holes in the right places. I havent glued the spars on the wing yet because I have some fettling to do when I fit the sponsons! Its getting there.

IMG-1057.jpg

IMG-1058.jpg This was the first part of the landing legs and floats; I had to cut and trim the space for it being carefully that I didnt cut it too deep and that it was level and not one sided. There's a bit of a hole behind it but I can sort that using PVA; any and all gaps will be treated this way as it dries clear and fills narrow spaces rather well, very easy to use. I also realised I have been given two port side spars from under the wings! I can dress them up so its not a major issue.

IMG-1063.jpg

• Like 4

This is coming along nicely; if slowly; I glued the spars to the underwings making sure they are at the best angle, let them dry and then dressed their roots using PVA, I also filled the little 'ole under the fuselage where the spar group is fitted.

I've tested the fit on this with the sponsons and they look good, they may require a tad of fettling to have them sit absolutely straight but it will be minimal; I wont be doing it today because I didnt sleep well last night due to the heat! I'm a bit tired and irritable.:yawn:

I also finished painting the beaching gear and painted the yellow on the props for this and the Seamew. Its actually better to just take the time thats needed with a model like this, give each stage a chance to dry and set, it saves things moving later. I filled in any areas that need it such as the spar roots and I made carefully measured and marked the points that the rear spars will contact the fuselage once the sponsons are fitted, best done now while I can access the areas; before I fit the sponsons.

IMG-1068.jpg I might either file the ridge behind the spar grouping or just build up a bulge with PVA.:idea:

IMG-1069.jpg I'll glue the sponsons on the main leg spar firth; the other two coming from the sides with sit against the sides of the sponsons on their own; I'll just add a little glooo to the equation.

IMG-1071.jpg I had already painted the beaching frames when I first attempted this model, but the wheels I have just done.

IMG-1072.jpg The props for the Wild catfish and the Seamew, now had the yellow tips painted on.

More tomorrow, thanks for watching!🔭

• Like 2

I'm a little disillusioned with this build just now.

I had the spars on and set and all seemed to be looking good, tried and tested but then I noticed something was not right; one of the spars from the wing was too tall; not because of any angle, I measured it and the other and found this was 21.8mm, the other 20.4mm. I took these back off and had to carefully adjust one and then make sure both are the same size (they are now). I didnt have the heart to refit them today as this has knocked my confidence a little. 

Not only do the sponsons need to sit straight, they both need to be at the correct angle with each other, straight along/parallel to the fuselage AND I need to make sure that the soles of the sponsons are straight as they would land on water.

I'm not going to abandon the build, I'll just give it and myself a bit more time (I need to rustle up the will to do this part before I touch it again), I wasnt feeling very confident after adjusting the spars and wisely put it down (I had to remove both wing spars from the wing and tidy the wing and that dampened my enthusiasm somewhat). I know its only plastic, but if I am making a model I want it to look right and look good, no matter how long it takes, I dont bin a build very lightly.

Its also rather warm to make models; while its far cooler indoors, it was still uncomfortably warm generally; I'm struggling to concentrate with the heat in the air.

• Like 2

Cooler weather is on it's way in, smart decision to wait a bit. 

Good catch on the difference in length, you'll get it done properly I'm sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Cooler weather is on it's way in, smart decision to wait a bit. 

Good catch on the difference in length, you'll get it done properly I'm sure. 

Thank you for your reply, I have lost the odd model before because of this sort of thing but decided that it wasn’t happening again; in future I’d just put it down and come back another time. It’s far better just to put it down and walk away for a while.

This little set back will make me more determined but I’ll let time work on it for a while until I have the ‘courage’ to try and finish it. Thanks for your encouragement!😉😎👍

• Like 1

Yes, I was a bit disillusioned with this yesterday, wasn't feeling hopeful about it at all!

While the wing spars were off I attended to the area under the fuselage at the back of the four spars group and filed it back so it is much lower.

I decided that the wing spars would have the sponsons fitted before I tried to assemble it again. I attached and glued them and remembered that the spars actually lean in towards the aircraft centreline; which means that the sponsons need a little angle outwards so that they aren't lopsided when fitted!:idea: I gently bent them over at the joins with the spars and inserted a pin to hold the size of the gap while the glue dried. I also marked which one went where so that I didnt fit them on the wrong side after all that! That was all this morning.

IMG-1073.jpg I filed back the high area behind the spar group on the centreline of the fuselage.

IMG-1074.jpg I set up the sponsons on the wingspars and marked them with a P or an S so I don't fit them on the wrong side...

IMG-1075.jpg ...i also marked on the model!

Later in the afternoon I decided to get the assemblies fitted.:o

IMG-1077.jpg I have managed to fit them to the wing; I had to make sure that one doesn't sit forward of the other, that they were both along the same line and the same height.

IMG-1078.jpg

IMG-1079.jpg Its nowhere near finished yet which is why it looks a bit out of line; just getting these fitted and sitting is enough for today; I can adjust it all later.

IMG-1080.jpg The spars coming from the wings are supposed to lean in towards the centre line of the aircraft; right now they are NOT. It's still early days, I haven't yet attached the four spars to the sponsons from the middle; that will be alot easier to do if it's all fitted and sitting for now, it all needs adjustment and it will get it once the glue is dry. I might even have to take the four out of the fuselage and set the part a bit deeper into the underside, I don't know yet. The tape can hold it all in for now, it's not attached tightly; it's just merely holding things on. It looks lop-sided; but its because the jig isn't set level, one support is higher than the other.

I'm happy to have got this far today.:o:surprised:

• Like 1

I have now drawn in the two sponsons a bit to their settings; to do this I laid some tape over the centre spars and onto the wings and used it to pull the spars down and out of the way while the rest gets set into place; these spars were preventing the sponsons and spars from being lined up as they were in the way and seemed somewhat spring loaded! Threatening to push the sponsons orf the spars!

IMG-1083.jpg

I'll let this dry overnight now but I think I'll keep the tape over the sponsons when I release the centre spars so that they dont push them apart again, I may even use further tape to hold them in place and keep them together just in case! That will be later tomorrow. Gluing those centre spars to the sponsons will make the whole thing feel more solid and I can still apply a little adjustment as I go until theyre all attached and solid. I then have two rear spars to fit at the back end from the fuselage to the rear of the sponsons. That will come later.

Starting to feel good about this one again now!:nod:

I told yu'z I'd come back more determined!:evil_laugh:

Oooh Blimey! What can I say?:yikes:

IMG-1085.jpg The peg on the stbd wing is to remind me that the pitot is fitted; "Dont forget".

IMG-1086.jpg

IMG-1087.jpg

IMG-1088.jpg

IMG-1089.jpg

I know I said I'd maybe put this aside for a bit but I also said it would make me all the more determined!:wow:

• Like 4

Since the weather is still warm enough, the sprayed on primer dries very nicely in a few hours; I've started painting the underside now with Colourcoats Insignia White. It will take a few coats to fill in but I have plenty of time! 

I know the 'floaty bits' will throw up a slight issue in the beaching wheels but I can counter this!:cool: 

I'm delighted to have built this as I really thought I was gonna struggle when fitting the floats; in fact they went on very nicely once I had figured out just how I was gonna do it! Modelling can be like engineering in miniature! I'm rather proud of my kit bash on it, the original kit was rather poor and I really dont think it could have been built. I've made it work!😀

• Like 1

Amocademy!🤣😂

my solution was to attach the sponsons to the wing spars; this sorted out any struggle with the angles of the sponsons and the whole thing just came together from there!👍😁

15 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

That’s turned out really well, perfectly aligned.

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, it was rather tricky and can really only be done by sight as there are very few straight lines around.😳

Alt92 has been a great help with this build as I requested one or two extra pictures for reference on the floaty bits, and this was a great help to me, the rest was all fingers and imagination, manipulation!😉😂👍

Next to biplane models this was the trickiest I’ve built.🙂

Thanks again.🙂

• Like 1

Gave it another coat of Insignia White, its not a brilliant white but more of an off-white almost cream which I've opted to use, as its a seaplane.

IMG-1102.jpg

IMG-1103.jpg

Because I primed it in white it is much easier to paint on the white paint. Another couple of coats and it will be a nice solid colour. I have a feeling I may need to sand off the pen-marks I made! I'll see how it looks after tomorrows coat.

This is now ready for masking, and then I'll start painting the upper surfaces with Colourcoats intermediate blue. The Wildcat model I chose for this kit bash has lots of very nice panel/surface detail and will look great when complete!

IMG-1123.jpg

IMG-1124.jpg

Wasn't too difficult to mask, the tops of the floats and the spars will be intermediate blue along with the uppers. I could go on coating the underside over and over but it wouldn't look any better than it does now, whites are hard to apply thin coats on models unless they're sprayed ; this has 5 coats on the underside, but it looks just fine!

• Like 1