Quick Buccaneer Question.......

Corvi

I just ordered the 1/48 NEW Airfix Buccy   

I was wanting to do the Extra Dk. Sea Gray over White scheme of a S2 RN Test Squadron @ Boscombe Downs circa 1971 from the kit World Sheet 48152. 

From my understanding there are little differences between 2 and 2C/D which is the kit......I think S2C IS a RN redesignation of S2 after 1972 & 2SD is a Martel armed bird.  IS this correct??

Are there any modifcations necc. to make a proper early scheme Buccy from the new Airfix 1/48 Buccy????

Thanks Guys

Cant wait to display this one next to my 1/48 Sea Vixen, Spey  FG.1 RN Phantom, Sea Venom and Scimitar....

Steve, 

afair there are a couple of panels/attachment points under the belly which would need removing

I think these were for the chaff flares containers or something, which were only fitted to late versions

Already discussed in the Rumourmonger thread about the Buccaneer:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104530-airfix-148-buccaneer-s2-for-2022/&do=findComment&comment=4463896

In short you'll have to remove the Noise Reduction Bulges just in front of the jet intakes and the moulded on plates for the chaff launchers under the jet nozzles. I'm pretty sure that's all externally.

In the cockpit probably the Martel control unit, but I'm no expert.

6 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Already discussed in the Rumourmonger thread about the Buccaneer:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104530-airfix-148-buccaneer-s2-for-2022/&do=findComment&comment=4463896

In short you'll have to remove the Noise Reduction Bulges just in front of the jet intakes and the moulded on plates for the chaff launchers under the jet nozzles. I'm pretty sure that's all externally.

In the cockpit probably the Martel control unit, but I'm no expert.

All true but in the case of XN974 at Boscombe Down in '71/'72 I'd say that the noise reduction fairings were there on this image:

https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/Royal-Navy/Blackburn/Buccaneer/XN974/1884644/

A test aircraft, so probably a few other changes that you'll need to inspect the image for. Such as the bulge under the starboard wingtip and a lack of homer pods on either wing. 

Edited by JoshWilson
Correction

Thanks guys  Duly noted.

If you need any info. on the F9F family or F-101Voodoo I can help out there!!

My 1/48 FAA collection is growing....  The Buccy is next and then the Trumpy Sea Hawk in Suez Crisis markings!

Steve

.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3