Best wishes to mainland Europe members

Black Knight

This may be a bit, er, um . . . 

Anyways, I'm sending best wishes to our mainland European members

Why?

Cos I've just been reading news that France is running out of drinking water in some areas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62436468

and I suspect that the other countries are or will be experiencing the same drought conditions

Adam's Ale is needed, it cannot be wasted, so make the most of it whilst you have it

From Fred, in N.I. where its been raining heavy for the last week

• Like 4

It is a serious problem here in Italy, drinking water is not a problem (apart from areas like the smaller isles and certain areas in the South where it's always been a problem) but the agriculture is being serious impacted. Farmers are reaping in advance as many fruits and vegetables are literally destroyed by the heat. Large rivers like the Po have turned into small streams surrodunded by boggy ground.

The problem is not only that it's been raining very little, a more serious matter is that glaciers are literally disappearing, meaning that rivers are not guaranteed a constant stream of water regardless of the rain. Temperatures are higher than usual everywhere but atop the mountains this is much more noticeable, with areas where these are over 10°C higher than the average.

The planet is gettig warmer and the climate is changing, we had been forewarned but we didn't really listen hard enough....

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The planet is gettig warmer and the climate is changing, we had been forewarned but we didn't really listen hard enough....

Let's not get into that, as there are bound to be people that disagree, and we know where that leads :dull:

• Like 1

What I can safely add is I read on BBC website a river in Italy had dried up and exposed an unexploded bomb from WW2. Looked allied in the photo and now safely detonated

its amazing the old renaissance gardens lost to history that the dry weather is exposing as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

What I can safely add is I read on BBC website a river in Italy had dried up and exposed an unexploded bomb from WW2. Looked allied in the photo and now safely detonated

its amazing the old renaissance gardens lost to history that the dry weather is exposing as well

That was in the Po river a couple days ago. More wartime stuff had previously surfaced, including a German pontoon bridge that had been sunk by the allies, a few transport boats and even a German half-track that had sunk.

Because of the excessive temperatures in the mountains manyWW1 objects have surfaced and a number of bodies have also been retrieved. All things that had disappeared into the ice and snow a century ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Because of the excessive temperatures in the mountains manyWW1 objects have surfaced and a number of bodies have also been retrieved. 

At last a resting place for the lost ones which hopefully might bring some solace to families even after a long time

• Like 3

For the past couple of weeks, there's been a forest fire going in one of our national parks in the Czech Republic.

While they think they'll have it completely out by the end of this week, they've needed a fair amount of outside help, including Canadair CL-415 water bombers coming in from Italy, to get things under control:

https://english.radio.cz/firefighters-and-aircraft-bohemian-switzerland-be-reduced-week-8758113

Photo gallery of images of the fire and fire fighting:

https://english.radio.cz/#&gid=1&pid=1

It's also been hot and dry enough that in some farming areas, inspectors are going to farms to ensure that tractors, combines and other farm vehicles have proper fire and spark supression gear on them to prevent any heat or sparks generated by them from igniting the crops.

Edited by upnorth

Certainly it looks pretty  grim out  there in Europe and indeed over there in Britain. 

I  wonder  though if anything  more interesting than a WW2 bomb might  resurface from European  rivers.

No  doubt when the dry spell ends there'll be downpours, floods and landslides. 

Like in Fred's NI we've hardly been touched by the heatwave here in the West of Ireland. Less rain than usual but quite a  few downpours. No need for a hosepipe ban. Besides in this city we draw our drinking water from the second biggest lough in Ireland, second only to  Lough Neagh up North. 

If either of those two start to dry up. It won't just be us in trouble. It'll be the whole world🥵

Areas that today are land in the past were sea and vice versa.

The oceans are the result of diluvian rains for years on end. The planet has already gone through an ice age. If it happens again, is it supposed to be climate change?

Diluvian?  I think that there are more sensible, if longer in duration,  reasons for the origins of the oceans.  After all, rain comes from the sea in the first place, it can't form them.  Pull the other one.  The planet has already been through many ice ages, as a study of geology shows.  It is possible that there will be future ones, if we survive the current crisis, but alternatively we are on course for another Venus.

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Let's not get into that, as there are bound to be people that disagree, and we know where that leads :dull:

You tried Mike.

• Like 3

I'm  begining to think  this topic might have dried up because there's  drought else to say.

Dick 

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1