BF-109 Colours Identification

MickE

Hi All

I am currently trying to reproduce this scene in 1/48:

BF-109

I have been told it is probably a 109F. Looking at the upper camouflage it looks like it could be RLM 70/71all over. Did they have that kind of scheme on a 109F. I thought they were in mottled sides by the time the F's were in service.

Regards

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MickE said:

Did they have that kind of scheme on a 109F.

no, but this is a captured plane, taken to the USA, I think it's real period color as well.   As such, the identity will be know, and there will be more pics. 

@SafetyDad  @G.R.Morrison are good on this kind of thing,  I'll have a search in a mo...

It is an F, note the circular outer wheel  wells.  

• Like 1

probably this one

6K-gRfFpP2Hn2eBDwV57wh2IhwRLRbdeD_lEgEOf

Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7640), USAAF EB-1, later EB-100. This aircraft was presented to the USA by the USSR in November 1942 as a goodwill gesture after a visit to Moscow by Wendell Wilkie, the US Secretary of State.

I think it was the only F in the USA, 

interesting article here but has a few glitches

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/german-warplane-survivors-1939-1945-messerschmitt-bf-109

• Like 1

Wow thanks guys that was quick.

The guard with his hands on his hips made me wonder if it was in Germany because of the uniform. The guy on the wing does look American though.

This is what I have done so far. I will have to repaint a couple of the pipes back to silver I think as they initially looked brown in the photo.

Bf109-firewall1

Any ideas what the top colour would be at all if it is the US marked aircraft?

‘EB-1’ was a Bf109F that was sent to USA.  It had a finish of U.S. olive drab and neutral grey, with standard 1942 American roundel and a yellow number “EB-1” on tail.

Photograph was taken on the apron of the Wright Field in Dayton Ohio.  You can walk on this same concrete even today when you visit the USAF museum.  

Edited by Lusitanian
  • Like 2

As Lusitanian described, it was repainted.  WNr.7640 had been "gelbe 12" of the 9./JG 3, lost 29.May 1942 30km SE of Tschuguyev, Uffz. Erich Volkmann.  Two Bf 109F-4s of the 9./JG 3 disappeared this day, the other WNr.13233, "gelbe 9" of Gefr. Adelbert Kuhn.  Both aircraft were captured intact (there are photos, but I can't insert them here -- send me a PM if you want me to dispatch them).  The Soviets announced they had deserted, but more-likely ran short of fuel.  They remain MIA.

These machines had received a non-standard camouflage before their departure for the East.  Uppersurfaces originally RLM 79, they had large angular sections of RLM 75 and RLM 70 applied to the upper surfaces.  Most had names applied on the cockpit side in yellow script.  Examples: gelbe 4 = "Maxi", gelbe 5 = "Pülzi", gelbe 7 = "Elleu", gelbe 10 = "LiLiLi"

BTW, the man on the right in the color photo of the first post is wearing a policeman's uniform.

GRM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks GRM

So it sounds like the aircraft should be painted olive drab and neutral grey however the lower nose panel on the grounds looks like RLM 65 to me.

Edited by MickE
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, G.R.Morrison said:

BTW, the man on the right in the color photo of the first post is wearing a policeman's uniform.

GRM

I'm too late to the party here - thanks GRM. Very busy working at my daughter's new house!

Every time I see this picture I think that policeman chap has a look of Admiral Donitz.  Don't you think? 

:cwl:

SD

• Like 1

Thanks Graham. I have looked through my paints and I have some xtracrylix Olive Drab ANA613 that looks quite dark do I will probably use that unless someone says it is not suitable.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:59 AM, Troy Smith said:

Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7640), USAAF EB-1, later EB-100. This aircraft was presented to the USA by the USSR in November 1942 as a goodwill gesture after a visit to Moscow by Wendell Wilkie, the US Secretary of State.

Just a note - Wilkie was not Secretary of State (that was Cordell Hull) but rather a special envoy of FDR.  Willkie  the defeated Republican candidate from the 1940 election where he had avoided becoming aligned with the isolationist wing of the Republican party, and after his defeat and the onset of war, gave full support to the administration.  As a special envoy on this trip, he met with all the major Allied leaders, including Stalin and Chiang Kai-Shek and returned to lobby to more Lend Lease allocations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1