'The Flare Bird' - 1:72 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I *FINISHED*

Dunny

Hi All,

After some incessant online bullying encouragement from fellow Britmodellers @mark.au, @bigbadbadge and @AliGauld I felt pressured to the point of tears decided that I really, really wanted to model another Swordfish. Just last year I had a crack at Tamiya's incredible 1:48 Mk.II, so this time round I thought I'd stick with gentleman's scale, as I seem to be having a good run down in the smaller scale. Here's the Mk.II build if anybody is interested:

Anyway, here's to the kit. Here's Airfix' box art:

20220805-174417.jpg

Here's the sprues:

20220805-181055.jpg

20220805-181119.jpg

Here's the decals, which look lovely:

20220805-181147.jpg

A mask set from Eduard:

20220805-181203.jpg

Why oh why did I bother?!:banghead:I've also ordered a PE rigging set from the good folk at Red Roo models.

There are decal options for two aircraft, one of which was involved with the infamous 'Channel Dash' action against the Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Prinz Eugen. Much as that is tempting, that is not where we are headed with this build (note the '4' in the decals, which may become important later 🤩). The aforementioned Mark is currently making a beautiful job of Tamiya's 1:48 Mk.I as 815 Sqn aircraft L4A, which was involved in the action on the Italian fleet at Taranto on 11-12th November. During this attack 21 Swordfish from 815 & 819 Sqn FAA flying from HMS Illustrious attacked in two waves, causing considerable damage to the Italian fleet. The aircraft in both waves carried a mixture of torpedo, bombs, and bombs & flares. Mark's subject is the torpedo-carrying aircraft of the commanding officer Lt Cdr K Williamson, which was shot down in the first wave. His beautiful work has inspired us gullible fools intrepid fellow FAA fans to build other aircraft from the same raid. @bigbadbadge has just kicked off with his bomber, so I am going to model one of the flare-dropping aircraft (hence the title of the thread). I think at the time of writing @AliGauld is still sitting on the fence, but he does have a few builds on the go...

So, the aircraft I shall model is L4F of 815 Sqn FAA, crewed by Lt R Skelton and S Lt E A Perkins. After dropping flares over the fleet this aircraft successfully bombed the Taranto oil installations before returning safely to 'Lusty'. As yet I do not have any photos of this aircraft, nor do I have a serial number - any information would be gratefully received (I know that @iang has been most helpful in Mark's build - I'll also shout out @Grey Beema). So the aircraft will be finished with the S1E scheme, with a black distemper finish on the undersides reaching high up the fuselage sides. I shall furnish further information as the build progresses, but Mark, Chris & Alistair - I hope you are happy now? 🤣 Just joking - really looking forward to this one (enough to put a 1:48 Blenheim Mk.I on ice)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

It’s hard to choose between a laugh, like or thank you emoji for that post!

I am very much looking forward to seeing you work your magic with this one Roger, alongside @bigbadbadge Chris’ great start on his, and perhaps even our friend @AliGauld Alistair, too.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mark.au said:

It’s hard to choose between a laugh, like or thank you emoji for that post!

I am very much looking forward to seeing you work your magic with this one Roger, alongside @bigbadbadge Chris’ great start on his, and perhaps even our friend @AliGauld Alistair, too.  

Thanks very much Mark - lovely to see yours finished (stunning work as usual). This should be fun...

• Like 3

I too was pressured into this by forces unknown  :poke: shown the error of my ways, but will be starting mine when I finally finish up something that's on the go.

Looking forward to this to see you work your magic.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I too was pressured into this by forces unknown  :poke: shown the error of my ways, but will be starting mine when I finally finish up something that's on the go.

Looking forward to this to see you work your magic.

Cheers,

Alistair

Sunderland first, laddie!

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger  it's great to see this arrive and get a thread.  Looking forward to seeing this progress in Mark's miniature GB.

At least you won't get anymore bullying, ahem persuasion  now!!!😉

Chris

I shall be following your build closely Chris - skunk works GB indeed!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

So, the aircraft I shall model is L4F of 815 Sqn FAA, crewed by Lt R Skelton and S Lt E A Perkins. After dropping flares over the fleet this aircraft successfully bombed the Taranto oil installations before returning safely to 'Lusty'. As yet I do not have any photos of this aircraft, nor do I have a serial number - any information would be gratefully received 

Cheers,

Roger

Roger,

I don't know the serial for 4F, nor have I seen any photos. 

I can offer a guess.  According to Sturtivant et al, the aircraft history for L9774  indicates it was was coded L3L (sic - probably U3L, as 815 was originally coded U3x)  and then " F"  7/40-3/41 so this could be 815: 4F, assuming it was not replaced by the time of Taranto.

HTH

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

You could get the decal sheet from the earlier Airfix kit and do that one. It has Taranto markings and was a bomber.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/British-torpedo-bomber-Fairey-Swordfish-MK.I.html

Chris

Good tip Chris - thank you!

5 hours ago, iang said:

Roger,

I don't know the serial for 4F, nor have I seen any photos. 

I can offer a guess.  According to Sturtivant et al, the aircraft history for L9774  indicates it was was coded L3L (sic - probably U3L, as 815 was originally coded U3x)  and then " F"  7/40-3/41 so this could be 815: 4F, assuming it was not replaced by the time of Taranto.

HTH

Ian

It does help indeed Ian - many thanks!

• Like 1

Peer pressure is always best when it's done to your peers (and not yourself) - so I get to model vicariously through you, Roger! I'm looking forward to this! My own modelling has come to a standstill after a paint mishap on my Beaufort. Still undecided on how best to achieve EDSG and DSG, I have a Wellington and Whitley that are desperately wanting to be built. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

My own modelling has come to a standstill after a paint mishap on my Beaufort. Still undecided on how best to achieve EDSG and DSG, I have a Wellington and Whitley that are desperately wanting to be built. 

Sorry to hear of your paint woes Jeff! I swear by Vallejo for DSG, and Mr Hobby for EDSG (both aqueous acrylics). Hope the Beau is salvageable, and look forward to the Whitley and Wimpy!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

On 05/08/2022 at 22:58, Dunny said:

Vallejo for DSG, and Mr Hobby for EDSG

Thanks! Consider these on my desk whenever they ship! I was using Humbrol but they reeeally were nasty tins, they must have been old or something. I may have asked before but what do you use for your gloss and dull coats? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Thanks! Consider these on my desk whenever they ship! I was using Humbrol but they reeeally were nasty tins, they must have been old or something. I may have asked before but what do you use for your gloss and dull coats? 

Jeff,

I use Tamiya X22 for gloss, XF86 for flat - both spray beautifully if thinned 50:50 with Tamiya thinners,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Stringbag today! Much of this weekend has been spent painting the interiors of this and the Mk.XIVe, so not a great deal of construction occurred yesterday (hence very little point in updating :banghead:).Today I decided to press on with the Swordfish cockpit, so here's the first parts going together:

20220821-113624.jpg

There's a reasonable amount of detail for this scale. Here you can see the fuselage sides:

20220821-133034.jpg

20220821-133045.jpg

Here's the finished assembly after an oil wash (you can see that I've added the pilot's harness using Tamiya tape):

20220821-134555.jpg

I then buttoned up the fuselage (the halves were quite flashy, so a fair bit of fettling was required to get rid of that):

20220821-142346.jpg

Not looking too bad though! The final act for the day was to add the empennage:

20220821-144916.jpg

This is shaping up to be quite an enjoyable build - not quite 1:48 Tamiya, but challenging enough in its own way!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looking very good Roger, that cockpit looks nice.  All reports of this kit seem positive, shame it’s the wrong scale! 😊

I'm impressed with it so far Mark, although the 1:48 Tamiya kit is another level of superb,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

otherwise, love this kit.

Chris,

It's a little cracker isn't it? Appreciate the kind words,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Roger, another Fish! There seems to be a bug going round? First Mark and now a couple more and there was nearly me too! After opening the box and thinking, yes it's very nice, I plumbed to rescue something from the Shelf of Doom!

Neat start.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Roger, another Fish! There seems to be a bug going round? First Mark and now a couple more and there was nearly me too! After opening the box and thinking, yes it's very nice, I plumbed to rescue something from the Shelf of Doom!

Neat start.

Colin

Roger will claim he was bullied into building one whereas I call it encouragement.  Same goes for @AliGauld and @bigbadbadge, don’t listen to a word they say about it either 😂.  @Jeff G joined of his own volition, swept up in the wave of Swordfishery…

C’mon Colin, you know you wanna.  We need someone to do a Bismarck Swordfish…

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Neat start.

Colin

Colin,

Go on - you know you want to! Thanks for the kind words,

Cheers,

Roger

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Roger will claim he was bullied into building one whereas I call it encouragement.  Same goes for @AliGauld and @bigbadbadge, don’t listen to a word they say about it either 😂.  @Jeff G joined of his own volition, swept up in the wave of Swordfishery…

C’mon Colin, you know you wanna.  We need someone to do a Bismarck Swordfish…

Stringbaggery? Can't have too many...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

bullied

I never once used that word.

I may have been encouraged, cajoled or had my thinking corrected but that was all.;)

It is the purpose of educators like yourself to help us lesser mortals correct our paths that are wrongly taken. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

It is the purpose of educators like yourself to help us lesser mortals correct our paths that are wrongly taken. :D

Oh lord - Stockholm Syndrome's taken hold 🤣

• Haha 4