US Navy trainer colors - Ryan NR-1 (PT 22 Recruit)

JWM

Hi,

I am thinking on construction Ryan Recruit bit in Navy livery, so the Ryan NR 1 trainer. 

Here is a photo of formation of them coming from 1942, I think

Ryan_NR-1_trainers_USN_in_flight.jpeg

I think the machines are with yellow wings and tails, NM (or alu dope) fuselage and olive drab anti  glaze pannels. Is the dark belt on fuselage red as well as the number on front of fuselage? Or it is in Navy Blue? Can I expect numbers on bottom of wing?

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

• JWM changed the title to US Navy trainer colors - Ryan NR-1 (PT 22 Recruit)
On 05/08/2022 at 07:34, JWM said:

I think the machines are with yellow wings and tails, NM (or alu dope) fuselage and olive drab anti  glaze pannels. Is the dark belt on fuselage red as well as the number on front of fuselage? Or it is in Navy Blue? Can I expect numbers on bottom of wing?

I don't know, but @Tailspin Turtle @Dana Bell probably will.

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2022 at 07:34, JWM said:

Fuselage is NMF with BLACK anti-glare.  USN trainers had red bands on rear fuselage AND wings to denote instrument trainers, but that's not what we're seeing here. My guess is the fuselage band is black or Insignia Blue and maybe indicates the base..... 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

black

The band is lighter then the anti glare panels. Also the reoeated number betwen engine and cockpits is lighter so do you think that both are insignia blue?

8 minutes ago, JWM said:

The band is lighter then the anti glare panels. Also the reoeated number betwen engine and cockpits is lighter so do you think that both are insignia blue?

Maybe;   but they are more recently applied than the anti-glare panel and with glossier paint, which could also account for the difference.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I think I will go this way . The other option is to do her as army trainer where color photos exists...

Edited by JWM

7 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

According to Elliott (Monogram), at this time the trainers were to be overall Orange-Yellow. The only dark color assigned for the fuselage band to the primary training squadrons at Pensacola was black.

Many thanks. The rules and the life sometimes does not stick. 

At those two photos

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/media/ryan-nr-1-recruit.7178/full

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Ryan_NR-1_NAS_Jax_1942.jpg/772px-Ryan_NR-1_NAS_Jax_1942.jpg?20091012150614

showing the same machine (B No 4107) at least majority of fuselage is silver, in one case besides tail also nose looks like being yellow...

The restored Ryan NR 1  has very dark blue (rather then black ) anti  glare surfaces, NMF fuselage and yellow wings and tails

Restored_Ryan_NR-1_trainer_in_flight.jpe

Regards

J-W

Perhaps everyone has different ‘eyes’ but my eyes cannot see a blue antiglare panel.  My eyes can see black that reflects the blue sky above as it was commonly on many aircrafts.

Best wishes

Edited by Lusitanian
  • Thanks 1