Airfix 1/76 RAF Refuelling Set

I fancied something I could just build as a contrast to my current obsession with WWI aircraft. 

For reasons that I can’t quite explain clearly, I was on EBay the other day and got this:

4-BF78-DB6-3-A4-F-459-B-B338-D5-C6-B1-FD

It arrived yesterday. As you can see, some of the sprues seem to be missing from the picture, because last night and this evening I have been doing this:

033-C0-F5-A-B76-B-4-FF5-AF66-A69521-D45-

It’s still “in progress”, just about! It’s been great fun to build.

I’m tempted by the early war scheme of G3 and G5 stripes. All brown didn’t appeal and I will need something early war to go with my Manchester, if I ever build it (it currently looks like an Airfix 1980 Lancaster in a bag). I will be mixing the 3 using an olive acrylic  plus sand/brown and white, and for the 5 I might just use uncut RLM70.

I will be adding a touch of filler, some wing mirrors and cabin glass, otherwise that will be it. Trying to keep it simple…

• Like 13

Built quite a few of these including backdating one to flat roof/spare wheel carrier format. The gubbins in the pump chamber for wartime versions differs from the pic shown though, I believe that may be post war ?

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Thanks 1

I messed about with paint mixes today after reading a bunch of threads here on Britmodeller and ended up choosing 2xHu226+1xHu155 as my G3 colour:

B8809-E90-25-DC-47-DF-ABFB-34-FC262-ECB1

This mix seems to cover around the average of all the different interpretations and it’s easy to reproduce.

Yes, I have forgotten to start painting the roof, hubs and driving controls!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

2xHu226+1xHu155 as my G3 colour:

looks like SCC15 Olive Drab....  

note

"Khaki Green G3/ “Service Colour”.  No standard.

Mix:  12 x Revell 361 + 5 x Revell 360 + 7 x Revell 84. 

Alternatives; 5 x Humbrol 155 + 1 x Humbrol 10

1 x R46 + 1 x R382.

Tamiya:  8 x XF62 + 3x XF59 + 1 x XF68 or 8 x XF62 + 3 x XF59 + 1 x XF68.

In use: 1938-42.  Usual basic colour until replaced in 1942 with S.C.C.2.  Used with G4. 

An official alternative to Slate 34 as the dark tone in Middle East in Caunter scheme. 

Description:  A yellowish brown-green like a very strong 1930s US Olive Drab."

https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45/?v=79cba1185463

what you mixed may work as G5 

"Light Green G5.  Provisional.  No standard.

Mix:  2 x Humbrol 117 + 1x Humbrol 102.

Alternative;  Colour found on recovered artefact 1 x H86 + 1 x H117.

In use: 1939 till early 1941, usually as light tone in MTP20 schemes with G3.

Description: A light-medium grass green. "

there is also 

Dark Green G4, provisional.  No standard.

Mix:  8 x Revell 361 + 1 x Revell 8 or Humbrol 33.

Alternatives;  Humbrol 116 or Humbrol 195

Tamiya 3 x XF61 + 2 x XF58.

In use:  1939 till early 1941 as the disrupter over G3.

Description: a dark yellow green of fairly low contrast against G3. 

I presume this os G3/G5

no, from @Mike Starmer

"The first image shows the tanker in Khaki Green G3 and Dark Green G4.  The reason the base colour looks brown is that Khaki Green G3 is more brown than green in certain lighting conditions."

large_000000.jpg

or maybe this is

2526700999_132971730e_o.jpg

anyway.... you may have already found this,  but if not perhaps of interest/use.

Trying to remember if I have this set or not.... it's become more appealing...

I like the 'micky mouse' on this late war refueller

43985303230_b5fb5c5edf_o.png

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Troy. I have seen that thread and also this link. I’ve tried the Starmer Revell colour mix (substituting 102 or 226 for Fern Freen 360 cos I don’t have it) but the chocolate brown dominates it and turns it into a dark brown. I’m using acrylics and I know that they differ from the enamel versions in colour and intensity, so I assume that this is why the given mix isn’t working for me.

So I’ve got a mix going and it’s pleasingly close (to my eyes) to the tanker in the Stirling picture (although I have seen the browner version too). I might add a drop of sand or dark earth to my next batch to see if I can steer it browner without going darker.

I’m off to lie in a darkened room now…

Regards,

Adrian :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I feel for you. Trying to get accurate colours for the period is one of the reasons I’ve actually chickened out and adopted the "I know it’s wrong, but it’s consistently wrong" approach to my airfield vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looks good Adrian. Not sure if you've tried it but for a future project I can recommend Vallejo Model Air 71.330 Khaki Green No.3.

To my eye it looks pretty close when viewed against surviving examples and has that brown tinge of the original. 

Of course, there were no such paint conundrums when I built this set decades ago. I just slapped on a coat of Humbrol Dark Earth as per instructions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Note that the AEC bowser shown in the Stirling pictures is an early version.  This doesn't rule out the kit version being in the original greens but does introduce a note of caution.  Certainly I would expect a brown bowser to have a black/tarmac top according to the standards of the time.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, IanC said:

I just slapped on a coat of Humbrol Dark Earth as per instructions.

Modelling was a lot simpler in days of yore - but, possibly, not quite as accurate...................

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Are there any other significant visual changes?

There was often a spare wheel carrier frame mounted vertically on the nearside in front of the rear wheels. It’s by no means universal, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't *know* but I do *wonder* - given the RAE's role in developing colours for the army could G4 and G5 be the same colours as RAF Light Green and Dark Green, maybe showing some variation  because of the different formulations for the different applications?

I've been using the old Humbrol French Artillery Green for G3. It seems to sit reasonably well with Mike Starmer's chip in his booklets.

John 

• Like 2

The Army colours are definitely not the same as the RAF ones.  A possible exception is Middle Stone, but that's not relevant here.

I believe the side-mounted spare tyre was a recognition feature of the early AEC bowser, but can't swear to it always being there.  It wasn't carried that way on the later variants.  There does seem to have been some other variation in the roofs.   The other point to check might be if the radiator sticks out further than that on the kit, in which case this is a petrol-engined variant.

I think the Airfix kit is a good representation of wartime AECs, just not the early ones as appear in the Stirling pictures.  Unless you are attempoting to recreate that particular picture, or perhaps a similar scene from the same period, then there's no need to change these features.  Other than painting the top of the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

Terrible for matching colours BTW :rofl2:   

I'm also old enough to remember when British vehicles were 'green'  or 'sand' in the desert... and RAF vehicles were grey blue.  Much easier.....

So I’ve got a mix going and it’s pleasingly close (to my eyes) to the tanker in the Stirling picture (although I have seen the browner version too). I might add a drop of sand or dark earth to my next batch to see if I can steer it browner without going darker.

seems reasonable.  I ended up getting Mike's books with the chips in.   I've enjoyed finding out about the armour colour variations,  and look at builds from the schemes possible.  And do some mixes.

And then get put in a darkened room with no sharp objects... :banghead:

• Haha 1

Thanks all.

Righty-ho! Fortified by a brunch of scrambled eggs on toast with grilled Padron peppers (that’s what was in the fridge…), today’s plan is to do the next coat with a +1 of Hu29 to make it a bit browner and do the striping like photo #2 above (so, not Mickey Mouse) to represent an early war G3/G4 paint job.

I’m tempted to round off the cab roof corners (I will see if there’s enough plastic to support simply filing it down) but not add the spare wheel, and I might add the triangular cutouts in the cab rear and firewall. Other deviations will include mirrors, wipers and glazing but I’m going to live with the wheels, which are apparently too small for a military version.

So much for a “light relief” build!

• Like 3

Not something I did earlier, but the Airfix catalogue from 1975 which I've held on to all these years.

Big tanker - brown.  Small tanker - RAF blue, yellow roof.  Simples.

Life seemed more straightforward back then....

Looking forward to see what you make of the kit Adrian!

Dave

52266783978_fb8dfbf127_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Life seemed more straightforward back then....

“Could it be that it was all so simple then

Or has time rewritten every line?”

That has been bugging me all afternoon. Thank you, Ms Streisand!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

“Could it be that it was all so simple then

Or has time rewritten every line?”

The way we were….   
Indeed, I was a lot different in 1975.  Full head of hair for one thing.  Older and maybe a tad wiser now

• Haha 1

Painting done:

370-AE607-1-F71-46-F1-AFD9-99-D6-A89-D38

DE7-A3-A7-E-E9-C5-4-D98-B79-A-1-CA77-D12

The green banding is maybe a little dark but I think it’s on the whole an acceptable match to the one in the Lancaster picture. I will see what daylight (and a coat of matt varnish) brings…

Driver seems happy enough, despite the obvious need for a bit of touching up:

F261132-D-8-D89-41-E6-B843-0-B9-BC5-C33-

• Like 10

Creeping inexorably towards the finish line:

66289-A5-F-6-A9-E-4-EE0-92-CA-B071-DD52-

Progress somewhat derailed today by having to tidy the playroom home office and make some nectarine jam! On the other side of the paper in the photo is a list for my Hansa-Brandenburg. I haven’t even thought about the F-102 yet!

• Like 3