Airbus A300 Zero G, Airfix 1:144

Here is my finished Airbus A300 Zero G, F-BUAD, that was used until recently for parabolic flights to provide zero gravity training for future astronauts.

Now the aircraft is on display at CGN, the Cologne-Bonn airport and a newer A 310 is currently in use.

the nickname was the "vomit comet", at least for beginners.

The kit is from Airfix, the engines from BraZ and the Decals from Airlinedecals.com. Please don't count the windows , there are a lot of small differences to the original aircraft, but I hope the display is still kind of interesting.

I will show it on Saturday, 06 august, on the Cologne model show for the first time.

At first, my intention was to cut a slot into the background construction and fix a wing with a clamp or something to hold the aircraft. But I underestimated the forces and the weight of the model. For this rod I am now using I should have filled the fuselage prior to assembly, which I didn't, so the whole construction is not convincing. But you live and you learn..

Thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

DSC06854.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 37

• 1 month later...

I was not really satisfied with the whole construction and the thin rod. So I cut open the fuselage and filled it with acrylic paste or filler. To prevent a chemical reaction with the softening ingredients and the kit's plastic, I put in a layer of aluminium foil. Now a wire pin could be located into the fuselage and the aircraft could be put onto a acrylic rod. I like it more now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I should really not just skim over the model topics as I saw the word "Zero" and clicked expecting to find a Japanese fighter.  Imagine my surprise and delight in finding this finished build.  This is really a great build of an aircraft I normally show little interest in.  The change over to the acrylic rod does make a lot of difference in the finished product.  Well done, in going ahead and making the change even though it looked like it was a bit of a pain to do.  This was a happy mistake on my part and am glad I clicked on this finished product.  May have to visit more build like this.  Thanks for sharing and providing me with both an education into the service airliners played and a short how to on the proper way to create a solid acrylic rod for display purposes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NorbertBu said:

I was not really satisfied with the whole construction and the thin rod. So I cut open the fuselage and filled it with acrylic paste or filler. To prevent a chemical reaction with the softening ingredients and the kit's plastic, I put in a layer of aluminium foil. Now a wire pin could be located into the fuselage and the aircraft could be put onto a acrylic rod. I like it more now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That looks really great now Norbert.

The model is excellent and very unusual too

Andy

• Thanks 1