Gliders group build?

I imagine a lot of us had our first proper go at learning to fly in a glider, so I was thinking maybe a group build would be a good idea. 

However, there aren't that many glider kits out there, so it may be difficult to get the exact type you want (I'd love a Grob Twin II Acro model but can't find one). A 3D printer is very tempting..... 

Anything built without an engine will qualify, and motor gliders, gliders with self launch or sustainer engines will qualify (eg grob 109, duo discus xlt)

_DSC0721

• Like 2

Well my Horsa’s getting a bit lonely so I’d definitely like a Waco or a DFS

379012-D6-E547-4352-A3-FF-ED71-A2966-B3-
1/144 scratch built btw.

Now that I think of it there a lot of very interesting gliders along the Me163 development path.

A9-AD334-E-2-FDC-4271-A03-E-8-C5-EE1-F04

D593116-D-FA4-C-4271-A4-EF-BEFA0908-A9-D

And  I also wouldn’t mind a Gigant but probably in 1/144.

Actually the WWII list is pretty long 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_military_gliders

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

There are loads of options for military gliders for sure. Some more normal like the Horsa, but some more exotic ones like the demonstrators that led to the Me163 (of which there even was a glider training variant) and Ho229, or the not particularly glider-like XGC17, a regular C47 with the engines removed and replaced with fairings. I wonder what weak link that would need on a winch launch! 

You could certainly go even more exotic yet, the Space Shuttle Enterprise was in fact a glider.

I could even see a justification for the Gimli Glider as an exception to the rules as that was just incredible piloting and it's known for its incredible glide.

As I have taken up gliding full size in my senior years and havng managed to get a Revell ASK-21 (one of those I recently flown in) in  1/32 scale,  it would be the done thing to enter. So I'm in. 

Why wouldn't  you?

Just now, Paul J said:

As I have taken up gliding full size in my senior years and havng managed to get a Revell ASK-21 (alone of those I recently flown in) in  1/32 scale,  it would be the done thing to enter. So I'm in. 

Why wouldn't  you?

I really want that kit, one of the schemes is R21 of the RAFGSA, which I fly on a regular basis (although in a slightly different scheme).

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

I really want that kit, one of the schemes is R21 of the RAFGSA, which I fly on a regular basis (although in a slightly different scheme).

I know some one down my road who has the kit and not really likely to build it. I will try and persuade him to sell. How much would you pay?

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

I know some one down my road who has the kit and not really likely to build it. I will try and persuade him to sell. How much would you pay?

I told myself I wouldn't be buying any non- glider kits this summer, and a K21 is definitely a glider so I would be interested. Going rate when one pops up seems to be around £25. PM me if he is willing to sell. 

Also, if this group build goes ahead, or just generally, if anyone wants reference photos of the real R21 for this kit I can get you pretty much as many as you want quite easily. There is one modification I've already noticed that will need doing to the kit (R21 and Cranwell GC's other K21, R18, both have no aerodynamic fairing around the wheel).

I should be seeing her tomorrow, maybe flying her but I do prefer the University of Nottingham Twin Acro (NU2) seeing as I'm a uni student. That is, unless it means rigging the Acro... [I will refrain from describing my feelings about that task because I value my membership of this forum]. Well we got her rigged last weekend anyway with only a handful of new gellcoat scratches so not something to worry about this week. 

On 05/08/2022 at 21:30, Marklo said:

Does that mean that my Enterprise/747 kit would qualify if the Space GB doesn’t fly but this one does?

I don't see why a tug couldn't be included so long as it's accompanied by a glider. The 747 isn't really a conventional tug, but it was launching a glider so I guess if you do both then both can be included. 

G-CJKJ/R21 which I think would be likely making an appearance in this group build if it goes ahead due to its inclusion in the Revell K21.

20220806_180553

20220806_180833

20220806_185411

Also yesterday was my first solo flight in the University of Nottingham Gliding Club Grob Acro. 26 minutes of soaring on my first solo I think was pretty good

20220807_130822

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Get their LS-8 to go with it.  :wicked:

Chris.

Maybe once I'm qualified to fly one haha although cranwell does have one.....

Edited by Adam Poultney

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...