Tiger 1 (Early) Metal Tracks?

Whitewolf

I don't think you'll find any metal links pre-assembled.  They cost enough without paying for the labour of someone to assemble them!

Friul tracks are extremely hard to find in the UK but can be bought direct - at the risk of additional customs charges.  I bought 4 sets a couple of months ago and wasn't charged import VAT.

Despite being of Russian origin, Masterclub tracks are still available in the UK through a Facebook forum here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/572105619930063  MTL35006 looks like the initial Tiger type.  You might find some on eBay too.

I haven't seen any pre-assembled ones of yet. I will also recommend Friul and Masterclub tracks if you can get them and if you have the time to build them.

RFM's workable tracks are very good, half the price, but plastic.

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I haven't seen any pre-assembled ones of yet. I will also recommend Friul and Masterclub tracks if you can get them and if you have the time to build them.

RFM's workable tracks are very good, half the price, but plastic.

Thanks! RFM do an early Tiger 1, does it come with the RFM workable tracks? I'm looking to build Wittmans command Tiger 1 S04, and the RFM kit provides a full but incorrect interior for a command tank, and is minus the exterior aerial mounts I believe? The Dragon kit comes with all external fittings albeit minus the aerials themselves....

RFM do several "early" or "initial" Tigers:

• Starting with RM5001 waaay back in 2015. 
  • Followed by RM5025 "Wittman's early Tiger" with interior
  • then RM5050 "early" with interior. 
  • RM5001 was updated as 5001U with 3D parts in 2021
  • RM5075 "initial"
  • Finally RM5078 "initial
  • Phew!

Do I presume that you intend using RM5025?  That kit does include RFM's workable individual links.  These are held together by plastic pins inserted from each side.  And you have to glue the 2 guide horns to each link, which is a bit tedious.

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

However, RFM do offer 3D printed links with guide horns attached.  They still pin together.  But expect to pay over £40 for a set in the UK.  Try eModels or Frome Model Centre.

spacer.png

We didn't mention ModelKasten tracks earlier, SK-2 for early Tiger.  But they would offer no advantage over the RFM parts except not attaching the guide horns.  We also didn't mention other 3D printed products from the likes of T Rex, Heavy Hobby and ET Model, all of which are also £40+ and very hard to find in the UK.

In metal there are also R Model, Sanxin and Spade Ace.  There may be others.  Again, expensive and hard to get in this part of the world.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

RFM do several "early" or "initial" Tigers:

• Starting with RM5001 waaay back in 2015. 
  • Followed by RM5025 "Wittman's early Tiger" with interior
  • then RM5050 "early" with interior. 
  • RM5001 was updated as 5001U with 3D parts in 2021
  • RM5075 "initial"
  • Finally RM5078 "initial
  • Phew!

Do I presume that you intend using RM5025?  That kit does include RFM's workable individual links.  These are held together by plastic pins inserted from each side.  And you have to glue the 2 guide horns to each link, which is a bit tedious.

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

However, RFM do offer 3D printed links with guide horns attached.  They still pin together.  But expect to pay over £40 for a set in the UK.  Try eModels or Frome Model Centre.

spacer.png

We didn't mention ModelKasten tracks earlier, SK-2 for early Tiger.  But they would offer no advantage over the RFM parts except not attaching the guide horns.  We also didn't mention other 3D printed products from the likes of T Rex, Heavy Hobby and ET Model, all of which are also £40+ and very hard to find in the UK.

In metal there are also R Model, Sanxin and Spade Ace.  There may be others.  Again, expensive and hard to get in this part of the world.

Hi yes, I had considered RFM 5025 as I fancied having a bash at a full Tiger interior, but i understand its incorrect for SO4 due to it being a command tank. I also gather RFM do not give a correct exterior for a command Tiger anyway, so was thinking of the Dragon kit instead. But I have heard bad things about the  Dragon tracks being distorted due to poor packaging in the Wittman Tiger kit so was looking for alternative, preferably assembled metal tracks.

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Like 1

I guess that reflects the limited number of people who do interiors.  But surely the information is available to convert?  Less ammunition and additional radio for starters?

Back to tracks, Wildcats Models have got the ET Model 3D Set in stock for £35.99 with free shipping.  He has a lot of other Tiger-related stuff too: gun barrels, etch sets, tow cables etc.  They are out of stock on the Masterclubs, which are usually £30-35 if you can find them.  https://wildcatsmodels.com/

spacer.png 

AFV Modeller magazine shop have the T Rex 3D printed tracks for £27 + shipping.  https://www.afvmodeller.com/shop/  More Tiger stuff too.

spacer.png

If you're thinking interior, Archer do a set of Tiger and Panther stencils AR77017 or a single Tiger interior set AR35353.  Historex Agents might have these, but check first: I ordered some stuff they had listed but didn't actually have.  They list lots of other Tiger stuff too, but no tracks for a 1.

Though not metal tracks, I recently saw a facebook posting of 3D printed tracks that are printed already workable.

https://www.facebook.com/chinomodel/

HLJ carries the brand, but should be able to find on ebay.

https://www.hlj.com/1-35-scale-connected-movable-tracks-for-tiger-i-early-model-cnocm-039a

https://www.hlj.com/1-35-scale-connected-movable-tracks-for-tiger-i-early-type-mirror-type-cnocm-039b