Kinetic NF-5A +1

I have quite a few 1/72 F-5 kits in The Stash.  I could have just grabbed one of those.  However, I am having a lot of fun building the Kinetic 1/48 F-104 in the Century Fighters GB so I though why not supersize this build as well.

So this is the Kinetic 1/48 F-5A kit.   It was sourced at a knock down price from that nice Mr Kingkit as a scrapyard item because bits were missing.  

spacer.png 

The bits that were missing are the PE fret!  The only parts needed from that for an NF-5A are the rear faces of the ALE-40 chaff dispensers.   I reckon I can sort something out.  :) 

• Like 7

The parts are crisply moulded although not quite as nicely as Kinetic's F-104.  The parts breakdown looks as though assembly could be a little tricky.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are two of the sprue on the right.  It provides the "coke bottle" wingtip tanks.  However, there is a minor issue here.  The tank is moulded as a port side unit, meaning that there is no starboard tank.  :shrug:  Bizarre!   It shouldn't be a problem though as a bit of trimming of the slot in the tank should make it fit

spacer.png

The kit provides markings for sixteen different schemes.  That's 16 !!!  :wow:

USAF  -  3

Canadian  -  3   one in the classic green/grey scheme, the others are the later ghost scheme.

Dutch  -  2    classic green/grey and later "F-16" scheme

Norwegian  -  2    both natural metal

Greek  -  5  two in the blue grey uppersurface scheme and the others in three different shost schemes

South Vietnam  -  1    The Skoshi Tiger scheme.   I believe this is actually an F-5C.

spacer.png

I shall be building this as a Dutch NF-5A in the later "F-16" scheme.

• Like 7

Welcome to the build, Enzo.
This looks interesting, an early boxing of the Kinetic F-5A?
Later releases have a correction to the starboard (right) “coke bottle”, but, that is a slightly different size to the earlier moulding.

Wonder which scheme you'll go for?

3 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Wonder which scheme you'll go for?

My F-104 build in the Century Fighters GB is a Belgian one because when I was on a Harrier squadron in Germany in the late 80s, we saw Belgian Starfighters at every exercise and detachment that we went to.   The same was true for Dutch NF-5As in the F-16 scheme, so that's what I'm building.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I have fallen into the habit of simply putting pre-painted instrument panels into cockpits.  It's easy - but lazy.   So now I'm making a conscious effort to improve my skills and paint what is provided in the kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Welcome to the GB Enzo.

A fine choice of subject matter sir as the NF-5's were a regular feature on the airshow circuit too, along with the Norwegian ones.

Don't expect this to go together as smoothly as your F-104, a totally different ball game, but she still builds into a very nice model.

Nice start on the cockpit too.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Forward fuselage ready to be assembled, as are the intake components.

spacer.png

Forward and rear fuselage assemblies plus the wing assembly.

spacer.png

The rear fuselage parts have alternative parts for the auxiliary inlet doors.  These are the same as seen on the F-5E.  Northrop built F-5As did not have these.  Canadair build CF-5s did.  As the NF-5s were built by Canadair, they had them as well.  Thgere is a blanking plate for Northrop aircraft and open and closed parts for  Canadair aircraft.  All will need a modicum of filling.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It all looks good now but - believe me - those intakes were really tricky!  :wall:  

• Like 8

On 8/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, modelling minion said:

Sounds like another one is a distinct possibility.

Any tips for those of us who are also thinking of building one, he says looking at his own kit.

🇺🇦

Looking good Enzo.  As MM said any tips very welcome.  I have one of these waiting to be built 😀

• Like 1

Moving on...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The control surfaces can be fitted displaced.  Each one has a couple of tabs for each position.  The modeller just snips off the ones that are not needed.  It's a simple and elegant method of fitment. :thumbsup:  

spacer.png

Windscreen fitted and masked.  Ready for priming.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Primed with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can. Some joints were then cleaned up and the AN/ALE-40 dispensers and tip tanks added.

spacer.png

I then sprayed the main colours.  Here was where there was a bit of fudging - possibly.  The instructions state that the colours are 36118/36320/36270. Other sources agree with that.  However, when I sprayed it in those colours it simply didn't look right.  So I spent a lot of time faffing around.  I'm pretty good at faffing around.  :D 

In the end I sprayed it in F-16 colours, which looked right.  The undersurfaces (36375) are Xtracrylix XA1136 Light Ghost Grey.  The upper nose and tail  (36270) are Lifecolor UA-524 Neutral Grey and the main uppersurfaces (36118) are Lifecolor UA-532.

To me it looks right.  However, if I have got it totally wrong, please let me know.   It won't take musch to respray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way, there is a glaring omission on this model.  Can anyone spot what it is?  :D    (Not the missing jetpipe)

• Like 6

I usually fit the tailplanes towards the end of the build.   I neglected to fit the engine cooling intakes on the upper fuselage inboard of the AN/ALE-40 dispensers.   It's an easy fix. 

But wait...!  What is happening here?!?!?  :hmmm:  

spacer.png

How did that get there???

spacer.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Think you'll have to build that now.

Oh well.  If you insist...  :lol:  

spacer.png

The decal sheet from the original kit has sixteen different schemes!  One that caught my eye is for a USAF jet in ADC Grey with dayglo panels. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, modelling minion said:

She's looking really good Enzo and I think your choice of colours looks right, certainly looks like how I remember them.

Hi,

Yes, that's also how I remember them. 

This week-end (it's a 3-day week-end here in Belgium), I intend to finish my F-4EJ kai from the Turning Japanese GB and start a thread in the F-5 GB.

Also the Kinetic NF-5A, but in the "RAF scheme" with 314 Sqn markings.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...