1/72 - North American AJ-1 Savage by Roden - released

Homebee

On 8/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, Learstang said:

I've just seen that Aviation Megastore have this kit at a provisional price of 57.81 Euros. That's 59.09USD and 49.44GBP. I don't think that's unreasonable for a fairly large, and hopefully nicely detailed kit. I'll gladly pay it.

Regards,

Jason

This is around the same price the Hasegawa A-3 seems to sell for these days, not cheap maybe but in line with other kits of that kind.

Personally I'm very happy to see this, the Savage sure had quite a dull career but I like the idea of being able to fill another gap in the USN postwar lineup without having to go for a vacuform or Mach 2...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 5

I'll probably buy one once the kit gets over here to Sprue Bros. or Squadron. The street price here should be less...hopefully. They have a real money maker if they did it in 1/48. Same for Clear Prop doing a 1/72 E-1B Tracer. I guaranteed money make in 1/48. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jpk said:

They have a real money maker if they did it in 1/48. 

I love the Savage so much, I bought the Combat Models 1/48 version.  But it is still in the stash since my scratch building skills are no match for this beast.  

On 8/7/2022 at 3:44 AM, Giorgio N said:

the Savage sure had quite a dull career 

Dull career?  I thinking launching off the deck of a carrier with a primitive nuclear weapon would be very non-dull.  😄  Plus, I think the planet can count itself lucky the Savage was never used in it's intended combat role.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Dull career?  I thinking launching off the deck of a carrier with a primitive nuclear weapon would be very non-dull.  😄  Plus, I think the planet can count itself lucky the Savage was never used in it's intended combat role.  

Good point ! The work of the Savage crews must have been very far from dull. I wonder what must have been like to fly an aircraft that big from a carrier in those days...

What I meant was that the Savage career was quite short and the type was soon eclipsed by the Skywarrior, a true workhorse that lasted in service for various missions for a few decades while the Savage. like other early postwar USN types was quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Good point ! The work of the Savage crews must have been very far from dull. I wonder what must have been like to fly an aircraft that big from a carrier in those days...

What I meant was that the Savage career was quite short and the type was soon eclipsed by the Skywarrior, a true workhorse that lasted in service for various missions for a few decades while the Savage. like other early postwar USN types was quickly forgotten.

Oh, you are absolutely correct, it was not in USN service long.  But, it did have a varied career with bombing, tanking and recon roles.  I am a big lover of the Skywarrior as well.  All big aircraft flying off Essex-class carriers look cool.  

• Like 1

I saw this and would have bought is, seems a bit pricy though so will probably wait to see if discounted anywhere, also not had great results from Roden decals in the past. had one set with no top sealer coat on at all.

Julien

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - North American AJ-1 Savage by Roden - released
On 8/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Violet Club said:

It is always interesting to see a company who dares to issue something else than a Spitfire or a Mustang !  There are plenty of obscure and fascinating aircraft that aren't covered in kit form !

C-124 in 1/72 scale, for example! Injection molded.

Edited by SAT69
Error in wording
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, cvrle said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you can pose the bomb bay open, just need to cut apart the doors.

It might even have some scoring on the insides of the doors for just this purpose. I haven't seen the insides, just the outsides so it's hard to tell, but even the panel line on the outside would make it a relatively easy task. I hope.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I just saw that tailhook article. It looks a bit more involved than I thought. Maybe someone will come out with some resin doors...

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:00 PM, SAT69 said:

Has me wondering if they'd consider doing a P2V-7 (P-2H) in the same scale.

A very interesting thought :). If it was to come with P-2E extras it could be a great seller. Sorry, Mods, if verging on "wish list" territory!