Very quick question: should I buy an Airmodel P6M Seamaster vacuform kit ?

Giorgio N

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

My mistake, yes the CF-105 was from Astra

Just took a quick look on eBay.ca for the Astra kit. They used to show up for about $40 CDN. None listed and the Hobbycraft ones are silly money. Wow.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, e8n2 said:

You know Giorgio, if you start building it, and get it near to completion, or at least close to the external painting stage, Roden or somebody else will spring a last minute surprise on us and announce a 72nd scale injected kit of it due out the following month or two!  I have a WIP going on for the Rareplane AJ-2 Savage and am almost ready to start painting it flat and gloss sea blue where appropriate, and Tommy Thomason announces today that Roden is putting out an AJ-1 in 72nd due maybe as early as September!  I've made some Airmodel kits in the past and since it is a seaplane the only real scratch building you should have to do will be the cockpit.  I also have built the Nova Vac kits of the C-135 family (options for several different versions) and the C-141B.  I did the -135 as an EC-135C as I was stationed at Offutt AFB at the time and we had a number of those around.  I was living in the barracks at the time, so not much room.  I did the C-141B when I was living in base housing at Beale AFB.  Not a whole lot or room there either.   Here are a couple of shots of the C-141B now at the Travis AFB museum"

Travis Museum C-141B 01 Travis Museum C-141B 02

Building vac kits are like riding a bike.  You never forget, just might need to remember things from the past a bit.

Later,

Dave

A few weeks after I started a 1/72 scale Formaplane Nimrod, Airfix announced their release of the same subject, I had just started the 1/72 scale Rare Plane Skywarrior when Hasegawa announced their version of it, consequently both kits were shelved and the injected molded versions were acquired and built.  I also have the Rare Plane Savage in the stash and I know the moment that I start it someone will announce the release of a plastic version of it, so it sits gathering dust in the stash. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy54 said:

A few weeks after I started a 1/72 scale Formaplane Nimrod, Airfix announced their release of the same subject, I had just started the 1/72 scale Rare Plane Skywarrior when Hasegawa announced their version of it, consequently both kits were shelved and the injected molded versions were acquired and built.  I also have the Rare Plane Savage in the stash and I know the moment that I start it someone will announce the release of a plastic version of it, so it sits gathering dust in the stash. :)

You better keep that Savage on the shelf as Roden have just announced they’re doing a series of 1/72 Savage kits…

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Billy54 said:

If you ever do decide to start it, read over my WIP.  The kit cockpit is totally wrong and I spent a lot of time working on that.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomprobert said:

You better keep that Savage on the shelf as Roden have just announced they’re doing a series of 1/72 Savage kits…

Yes I am aware of the upcoming Roden version of the Savage and I plan to pick up at least one of them and I didn't have to even outline the parts of the Rare Plane kit. :)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, e8n2 said:

If you ever do decide to start it, read over my WIP.  The kit cockpit is totally wrong and I spent a lot of time working on that.

Later,

Dave

Hello Dave, I have been keeping abreast of your excellent WIP thread on the Rare Plane Savage and it did motivate me to open the box of my Savage and look over the instructions, parts and decals and I was even tempted to outline the parts. Because of the Roden announcement that Rare Plane kit will have to stay in the stash for the time being. 

16 hours ago, Billy54 said:

Hello Dave, I have been keeping abreast of your excellent WIP thread on the Rare Plane Savage and it did motivate me to open the box of my Savage and look over the instructions, parts and decals and I was even tempted to outline the parts. Because of the Roden announcement that Rare Plane kit will have to stay in the stash for the time being. 

Totally understandable!

Later,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I should have posted this earlier but then left for some holiday... now I'm back and I can say... it's here !

Came in a big cardboard box, how big ? Well, I've bought bigger stuff (B-52, XB-70) but this was not small at all, see foot for comparison...

p6m1

The main parts however are not that big, see a comparison with the Revell Hurricane in the same scale that I'm building for the Revell-Mono GB

p6m2

Finish of the plastic is pretty good but of course this is a very basic kit and it shows. It will not be an easy project but I knew that from the start. Still, I'm very happy to have my 1/72 Seamaster kit in the stash ! When will I build it ? Who knows...

• Like 3

Very good. Hard to tell from a photo, but looks better moulded than some Airmodel kits I have. BTW, checking the shelves, the only one of their kits I've yet completed is the conversion for a tandem wing Lysander, which although basic and rough looking actually built up very easily. Anyway, inspired by your bravery I'm about to have a go at their much, much smaller Westland Welkin.

Paul.

• Like 1

Yes, it is quite nicely moulded indeed. Panel lines for example are of course quite wide but they are more consistent across the kit than the ones I've seen on some recent injected kits from big manufacturers....

The part I like the least is probably the canopy, I'm not sure Airmodel captured the shapes right.

I can't find it anymore but a guy who goes by the name Bondo Phil at one time had a comparison review of the Anigrand and Mach 2 kits.  Overall he preferred the Mach 2 kit.  Just do the best that you can Giorgio.  I'll be doing the full external painting on the Savage sometime next week.  I'll be glad to get it done with.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I can't find it anymore but a guy who goes by the name Bondo Phil at one time had a comparison review of the Anigrand and Mach 2 kits. 

Phil Brandt's comparison of the SeaMaster kits was on Hyperscale back in 2009.

https://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/seamasterscomparopb_1.htm

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Michou said:

Phil Brandt's comparison of the SeaMaster kits was on Hyperscale back in 2009.

https://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/seamasterscomparopb_1.htm

Mike

I looked at both Hyperscale and Modeling Madness for about 5 - 10 minutes last night and couldn't find it.  Glad somebody did though.

Later,

Dave

I've built the Mach 2 kit. I think the Mach 2 is somewhat more accurate but is no day in the park. It took a year of sanding and scraping to get an acceptable model. As for the vax, twice as long. 

• Like 1