Revell Hurricane Mk IIC 336 Sqn desert scheme (04144)

y4myPmqJNUW1cNoG9nfQ1J0QSxJE5pb4svmVgQaI

y4mRzTMVE8O3xql787YZ0lAnqfWOwxH7SgX1SG4e

y4m4vjLMqLU1e2VVJn_ciTveMD6PGy9q70_yCRW4

y4mhIT1grtu3FIVfcvFE3fgx9jwcqvUKrCyFBkai

y4mscJCO7tm1OlzdtP3c7Fj21O5uQXK7C919Xu8p

y4maG30P0o1ceu-VndtGFqQOvdd_9hHamawABiN3

So, the sand colour was airbrushed on with the pattern masked off. I then free handed the dark earth over the primer and upto the sand. I was really happy with the blended finish I achieved between the two colours. Arguably not the best camo pattern ever but it's all about getting better right? Engine exhausts were brush painted using Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal. 

Edited by FredmeisterPNE
  • Like 4

y4mnlrr-xo0Xs_9OGusOhvE0FB-OH08seFEf531f

y4mZ0U51wT28pMghnHD-lUM2F_IDbEEA-zV5haro

y4mpSRszGs2hwixyHLM-lcT0U1sTu7VWBy7-MdrO

y4myjvtR3pcWWbHySQRxfL_C4SbFMip8T5L2Bwh7

y4m9JRQXpGhaGTtMUNGUOTrSN8DzD8rfMV1opwez

y4myjvtR3pcWWbHySQRxfL_C4SbFMip8T5L2Bwh7

y4mMzHc-hUFAvwkF-vITe1IJiMmVIgMOGTklp4gE

y4mMzHc-hUFAvwkF-vITe1IJiMmVIgMOGTklp4gE

Post clear gloss coat using Humbrol Clear Varnish and during panel line was using Tamiya black panel line accent colour. Excess removed after approximately 10 mins using cotton bud and white spirit. Dipped in white spirit then rolled on kitchen paper before wiping away excess and spots where accent colour brush touched the model's surface. Prop and spinner now fitted. Gun barrels painted. Top layer of matt gloss applied, just waiting for it to dry a bit before applying to lower surfaces.

• Like 3

y4mnEaaOgf4XqkWlizZ-q6TDR_Wep4nKXVJgSh9r

y4mSdH7vdu4X2knE88qPTTz0bOZps1tRuilERkAf

y4mhxqJH9gAUnXlEzG8jn0RsNkH9GRFnPwUDu6Gc

y4mJkRD_97AYmApYs6SH5HB-4aI7aTa_dEKEcpbr

y4mkW4e3YWIalqYhm4Pheu8cvTXkKQ5nA8amoqqx

y4mj3kMAVTdJCiGqCVTHE-wsTITMCvbK1JyHlON0

y4mvdFggZGdzcHJ3QRQapWJ6prd69j46L035HGvR

y4mivU_kLR-qOARywBLOP--29mC9VNTQO8dZdP9Z

y4mivU_kLR-qOARywBLOP--29mC9VNTQO8dZdP9Z

y4mNg_Hz5FmWvQY9-L2xQj8CJi1lGTIXGXgTvWJX

y4m4YPMKAwFIJrFc3BwFEROZM_8TQXggCvVlz6fq

y4mQbvU0GWyrS41dk57CYP88zfda20V9r6EzTERh

y4ma3gXDnN1Mk2q5uGft8BB7ayt1FA43fYpEOhK-

y4moQxLkW9SYMIiMTayX7GS01PZm4WDmRG5b5ofv

y4mB0VEEDWJKepm8Gr3WVQq_Cvv53EvYDBcrAeDY

y4mgTq1CjkBhA1Rn5ViIJ_D4K9qok-5xcerwXVll

Well, the old girl is finished. Need to work on my photography skills a bit and next time i'll work on some exhaust streaking too. Next up is a reboxed, old tool F-14A Tomcat. The Hurricane is going to be mounted on a plinth in a flying configuration, will work on that next time I'm home. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

panel line was using Tamiya black panel line accent colour.

storming ahead indeed,  are you interested in feedback?   One point I will make, black is much too stark for panel lines,   it will look like a diecast.  

A dirty grey, or  on desert plane, a dirt sandy grey adds shadow but is subtle.

You could probably add another wash to tone the black down.   

You are evidently a skilled modeller,  but one thing that really really helps is to study the real thing, how the weather and get stained, 

there not many examples of colour pics of desert finish Hurricanes, but these maybe of use

8212406171_3f8da76523_b.jpgHurricane IIc by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

5993516730_40030fde9f_b.jpgHurricane                 1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

49991141187_c36b6429e8_b.jpgClose up of Hurricane Mk II d . by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

here's KZ136

02.jpg

I'm very dubious about the white spinner without a photo, for two reasons

1. red spinners were a standard allied recognition feature for all allied planes in the Med, and along with the RAF fin flash

49841403821_07071371c5_b.jpg

2. the standard Axis quick recognition colour was white spinner/nose and fuselage band and wing tips. 

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F4Trop-Stab-II.JG27-

main-qimg-1d8f5e52d4fcd5cc9b2ef7472f669c

I was typing this before you posted the last images....

Hope of interest

• Like 2

@Troy SmithThank you for your feedback which I am greatful for and will always accept. The white spinner is in line with the kit's instructions. I'm still a novice at this and would benefit more from doing more research but I'm still trying to get my head around the most efficient way to build kits, including using my airbrush and all its intracacies and nuances with different brand paints etc. I do have some oil paints and white spirit and have watched a few videos recently with tutorials on their use. Only problem is, they're not clear on whether they're applying the oil paints as washes on gloss, matt gloss or straight onto acrylic paint. 

Thanks for the pictures, they're useful for any future builds. There is an image here of a white nosed hurrince https://modelwork.pl/topic/19611-hawker-hurricane-iic-336sq-172-revell/ just out of interest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

The white spinner is in line with the kit's instructions.

I know.  I have not seen an image of KZ136 spinner.   But, as I tried to illustrate, I am dubious for  the reasons stated. 

White spinner = enemy,  which is the reason for quick recognition markings...    Model companies make mistakes. 

14 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

I'm still a novice at this

The build is excellent, both construction and paint the only glitch I can see the upper cowling seam, otherwise a neat and tidy build, good work.

There are Hurricane anorak points, don't know if you want those, but bear in mind I study Hurricanes for fun,  and am still spotting new details. 

18 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

I do have some oil paints and white spirit and have watched a few videos recently with tutorials on their use. Only problem is, they're not clear on whether they're applying the oil paints as washes on gloss, matt gloss or straight onto acrylic paint. 

don't use white spirit, it's oily gunk really.(it's basically Paraffin , which is a  15 Carbon  molecule)   I'm a fan of using lighter fuel, (which 6 carbon, so much more volatile)  so it makes a really thin wash.   

You can apply oil paint washes like this on gloss varnish, or onto matt acrylic paint, I use both techniques. 

see here (when I forced my self to just build and finish a kit.. .) 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/#elControls_3296243_menu

using acrylic gloss varnish (Kleer) 

pre oil wash

33477289498_a8b4dc203c_b.jpg

after

33485574868_8c824a6022_b.jpg

This is maybe a bit dark, it's a dirty grey, black, burnt umber and white artist oil paint  Note I slapped it all over, and ten using a damp brush of lighter fuel, scrubbed it off.  You get most of it off, but a little remains which modulates the paint a bit and makes it less 'flat' 

I think it worked better on the uppers, this is after matt varnish

47334121592_aa55db8b85_b.jpg

I have used oil paint/lighter fuel over Valejo with no varnish for armour and figures

31 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

Thanks for the pictures, they're useful for any future builds. There is an image here of a white nosed hurrince https://modelwork.pl/topic/19611-hawker-hurricane-iic-336sq-172-revell/ just out of interest. 

the images are not showing in the link.   You do get white spinners on Hurricanes,  but not in North Africa at the time.  

33 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

and would benefit more from doing more research

Britmodeller had been going now for 15 years, and there is a lot of information here,  the site search is not good, but  google works well, add britmodeller into the search term.   

Or just ask.  It can be a rabbit hole though....

50 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

have watched a few videos recently with tutorials on their use.

there are some helpful videos, and there are vids that show you how to make models that look like other models, which  is part of the reason for my sig line.  And also, for model trends, and product placement.     

Again, my wash is artist oils, most are 40+ years old, and lighter fuel... or artists chalk pastels.    As long as what you use gets you resukts you are happy with is what matters.

Example, you will fin most tank builds whil show steel looking track, and how to make it look rusty.

Tank tracks are manganese steel, which does not rust, and is a dark grey brown.

You get planes done in the Spanish school, heavily weathered.   I've seen things like a Battle Of Britain Spitfire,  in the scheme shown, not two months old, looking like it's spent a year in the tropics. 

Cue lots of oohs and aahs,.  impressive technical skills, yes,  an accurate model, no. 

Of course, it's your model, to finish as you wish,   and on here, really, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.  

1 hour ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

Need to work on my photography skills

Skills look fine,. just don't stick it on a cutting mat....   slightly cloudy  daylight is great, gives a soft light.   try some shots outside,  hold model against sky,  do some pics. Maybe use a sheet of glass so you don't have to hold it.  

Concentrate on eliminating visual distractions, (like the cutting mat and paint pot...)  pay attention to composition..  Crop images if needed.

I use a  cheap point and shoot old digital camera.   Probably a basic model 15 years ago.  I find it does a good job of capturing what I see. 

49927192631_dd29d579b6_b.jpg

cheap camera, base is a baize topped card table I found out for rubbish, faded and grubby,  on a storage box,  so I can get a low angle.   background is the park opposite,  low evening sun behind trees to left.  Gust of wind caught the prop.   

from 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073488-spitfire-pr-xix-airfix-72nd-as-i-thought-it-would-be-easy/

There are far more skilled modellers and photographers on here,  but that can be intimidating,  I try to show ways that can be done cheaply with a bit of thought that I'm overall happy with. 

Again, to stress, overall, great model, paint finish  is excellent, you have got a good grasp the airbrush, which is major plus, and it's finished... 

:goodjob: 

Look forward to the next build

cheers

T

• Like 2

Fastest WIP thread ever! 😉 

Looks good, and I know what this Revell kit is like--it's no Arma! If interested, look at what Arma (or even Airfix's Mk I) does for the ID light vs. that stupid decal from Revell.... to me that's emblematic of the quality differences! But, I slapped that decal on one of my Hurricanes too. Anyway yours looks amazing! Very impressed, Troy's assessment of your skills is correct! (and your cowling seam doesn't look so bad to me, those are very annoying to eliminate)

Now imagine what you could do with an Arma kit... 🤭

8 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Fastest WIP thread ever! 😉 

Looks good, and I know what this Revell kit is like--it's no Arma! If interested, look at what Arma (or even Airfix's Mk I) does for the ID light vs. that stupid decal from Revell.... to me that's emblematic of the quality differences! But, I slapped that decal on one of my Hurricanes too. Anyway yours looks amazing! Very impressed, Troy's assessment of your skills is correct! (and your cowling seam doesn't look so bad to me, those are very annoying to eliminate)

Now imagine what you could do with an Arma kit... 🤭

Yeah I know, sorry for the haste. Been WIP progress for a long time, just haven't had the time to do uploads and posts really. Either way, it's attracted a little bit of interest and feedback which is great. I will take a look at your suggestions. Never heard of Arma kits. What do you mean by ID 'light' please? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

Never heard of Arma kits.

Arma Hobby

https://www.armahobby.com/category/aircraft-models-hurricane

Best 72nd Hurricane kits of the versions they do, (they don't do a fabric wing, Sea Hurricane or Mk.IV) 

EDIT you may find @ModelingEdmontonian multibuild thread of Hurricanes

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090547-hawker-hurricanes-around-the-world/

of interest as he does most of the 72nd kits of various makes.

39 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

What do you mean by ID 'light' please? 

the one behind the radiator, it's amber

hurricane_mk1_l1592_26_of_26.jpg

from

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/index.php?Page=2

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
add link
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

of interest as he does most of the 72nd kits of various makes.

Yup, over the last 15 months or so I've built many of the 1/72 boxings out there (AZ, Airfix, Arma, Revell, Smer, Mistercraft, Legato, Fly) and Arma's Mk IIs are definitely the best out there.

4 hours ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

Yeah I know, sorry for the haste. Been WIP progress for a long time, just haven't had the time to do uploads and posts really.

No need to apologize, I'm glad you shared this! It really is a well built Hawker Hurricane!

What do you mean by ID 'light' please? 

Troy's explained this... so it's the red "dot" decal in the Revell kit, whereas Arma actually models this. My preference is to use Kristal Klear in the hole Arma provides with a little red and/or yellow paint and I've found that's both easy and produces a nice result.

y4mDGm49lvfxXzlAIpeFPxClH4gKOsOPInqouX-t

But I did use that decal on one of mine (this is actually the Mistercraft kit, not Revell, but I used the Revell decal):

y4mmLiKVTLGW6dtY06Qrw93WKVPUdEicIbguvEbT

I've also just painted silver on to see how that looked (this is the Fly Mk IIb)... 

y4mVd4lWNVQWs9-NanDROakPmk2ExCwsbDnc3xo4

Anyway, just interesting to compare. 

Never heard of Arma kits.

They are significantly more money than Revell, but in my opinion well worth it. And they have a range of pricings depending on the boxing. Nice styrene, lovely decals, very well done instructions, a variety of interesting boxings, some of the kits include PE and masks, etc. Here's the most recent release, a double kit that looks spectacular (you get what you pay for): https://www.armahobby.com/70054-hurricane-mk-ii-a-b-c-dieppe-deluxe-set.html Cheaper option: https://www.armahobby.com/70036-hurricane-mk-iic-model-kit.html Arma does not have a wide selection, but lots of good things being said about their new-ish P-51 and they have done a few others... I've only built the Hurricanes, but assume all of their releases are same quality.

Hope this is of interest. Thanks again for posting!