Airfix FIAT G50 1/72

Here is my completed Fiat G50 from the Airfix Vintage Classics range. I bought it to get me over the line for free postage and to use to try some new methods and to get used to airbrushing with enamels. Chose to do gear-up and utilise some stands I had lying around as there is zero cockpit details so the pilot really needed to go in.  All done with Humbrol enamels, including the tail stripe as the decal split.

Enjoyable wee kit to be fair. I would never have got it looking like this back in the day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

On 02/08/2022 at 20:08, Bodmin said:

Here is my completed Fiat G50 from the Airfix Vintage Classics range. I bought it to get me over the line for free postage and to use to try some new methods and to get used to airbrushing with enamels. Chose to do gear-up and utilise some stands I had lying around as there is zero cockpit details so the pilot really needed to go in.  All done with Humbrol enamels, including the tail stripe as the decal split.

Enjoyable wee kit to be fair. I would never have got it looking like this back in the day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely to see these old kits being built, well done !

Wulfman

Cheers. They are often overlooked because of their age, but they are well worth a bash in my opinion....well maybe not all, but many are at least.

12 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Built one of those not too long ago. It is surprisingly rewarding to build.

Very nice.

Cheers. I thought so too.

12 hours ago, Jeepboy said:

So good to see it on an old stand too.  Those clearvstands were great and much missed.

I think you can still get them.

Loving these nostalgia builds. I don't suppose Airfix include a classic stand in the "Classic Kit" these days? 

I identified with your "I would never have got it looking like this back in the day". We could but dream inspired by Roy Cross art on the headers.

Just to waffle a little, indulge me, Airfix's G.50 was for me unfortunately, one which got away. First releasing mid the exclusively 1/72 plastic model zenith of my youth, it had a lot of competition as Airfix at that time in particular was also in its zenith with an ever expanding regular flurry of releases to choose from. So every time I went to buy a model, that G.50 became a case of it was either out of stock on the hanger display or an alternative which triaged higher in my lust list took my three or four bob. The much more expensive Series 3 (?) boxed Sparviero endured the same triage rejection on each occasion, although spending largesse of those occasion were fewer and far between. OTOH, I did manage a Folgore from FROG and later a C.R. 42. The latter I suspect must have been Revell and possibly even early 1970s given scant, virtually non-existent distribution of the brand in my neck of the woods of AU in the 1960s.

Beautiful build. Thanks for another trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OWL1975 said:

Very nice,  I especially like how you've done the mottled paint job.

Jerry. 

Thanks Jerry/ The whole camo scheme was a combination of a "happy little accident" and an experiment. 

Edited by Bodmin
Spelling

8 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Loving these nostalgia builds. I don't suppose Airfix include a classic stand in the "Classic Kit" these days?...... 
......Beautiful build. Thanks for another trip down memory lane.

Thanks Biggles,

No stands in these kits sadly, but I had some lying in a bag in the loft.

I suspect the "agony of choice" is equal if not more so today with so many brands. Glad I could bring back a pleasant memories.

As Her Majesty once said, " Good memories are our second chance at happiness."

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:00 PM, François Escudé said:

souvenirs !! souvenirs!!! 

one of my first kit too !! Ah those nice plastic bag kits... last century memories !! 

well done indeed !! 

Cheers,

I've got a bug for some of these classic kits at the moment.