Classic Mini

Marco F.

10 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

And the all wheel drive versions are even worse!

As is the daft-looking electric thing. On another forum related to this kit, someone posted something along the lines of, "Can't wait for this kit as I own a 2007 version"...

Trouble is, you meet a lot of people who, when you say you have a 1275 Mini, reply that they have a Mini too. I never know whether to ask if it's really a Mini or give up.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Haha 4

We owned a 2010 BMW Mini One about 4 years ago .It sadly became the most expensive and unreliable to run modern car we have owned . Failed passenger seat airbag in a seat that was rarely sat in was the final  , expensive straw . Swapped for a 1 litre Fiesta , a brilliant reliable car . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 16:30, Paul H said:

The Hobby Search page linked to in the first post has now been updated to include the instructions, so looks like this kit is due very soon now!

There's also a clearer sprue layout pic here, which appears to confirm what others have thought above, about there being future variants planned.  As the wheels & arches are all on their own sprues, and given that Hasegawa have started with a late Mini, I wonder if a Pose Sports Pack with the wide 13" wheels and matching arches is also on the cards?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/173531-hasegawa-mini-cooper-13l-1997/page/2/

Here you can already find the 13" sports pack wheelset 

https://www.thescalemodelingchannel.com/shop/product-category/sample-product/ov-46-1-24-tsmc3d-mini-cooper-sport-wheels-tires-13inch/

3 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Problem is Marco he charges ridiculous shipping charges to the UK - 30 euros shipping for a set of those 16 euro wheels!! 

Keith

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Swapped for a 1 litre Fiesta , a brilliant reliable car . 

Gary . 

Fully agree with this, I love my Fiesta - how can you argue with 123bhp, no road tax and fun handling in a car with less than 1000cc and which does over 50mpg. Yes my Focus is more of a fun car, but the Fiesta is a brilliant all-rounder and apart from two snapped springs has been faultless in the 7.5 years I've owned it.

And to pretend to be back on topic, all this mention of ugly modern MINIs and nobody has mentioned the MINI Roadster, a car trying so hard (and I would say failing) to be trendy that it was allegedly styled to look like a backwards baseball cap 🙄

• Like 1

They need to work on their description of that 13" wheelset: These wheels are 1/24th scale 19 inch !!

I remember driving a 13" Sports Pack car at a launch event at a dealer in Blackpool. To my young impressionable self it felt like the height of sophistication, having driven (coaxed) there my 1,000cc HLE. Now I am older and wiser, and regularly exposed to more Minis than I would want to shake a stick at, I'll say the best driving cars are the 12 inch wheel disc brake cars of the mid 80s and early 90s, before they became too much of a heritage act. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anteater said:

They need to work on their description of that 13" wheelset: These wheels are 1/24th scale 19 inch !!

I remember driving a 13" Sports Pack car at a launch event at a dealer in Blackpool. To my young impressionable self it felt like the height of sophistication, having driven (coaxed) there my 1,000cc HLE. Now I am older and wiser, and regularly exposed to more Minis than I would want to shake a stick at, I'll say the best driving cars are the 12 inch wheel disc brake cars of the mid 80s and early 90s, before they became too much of a heritage act. 

The 12 inch Minis were real good driving cars,  but for my exprerience only after installing 165er tires on alloys 

The sportspack was a little bit like handling a truck compaired to this 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Fully agree with this, I love my Fiesta

Another vote for the Fester. The only car I ever bought brand new, and the newest I've owned by some margin, was a heavily discounted 2006 Fiesta Zetec 1.4. It was brilliant and I planned to keep it for a long time but 18 months later I got a job with a company car and I had to sell the Fiesta at a fair old loss. The job turned out to be a dud and to add insult to injury the company car was a 1.3 TD Vauxhall Disastra which constantly broke down. My employer remedied this by issuing me with a heavily used 1.3 TD Vauxhall Disastra from the pool, which also constantly broke. When that was taken away to be de-fleeted or cubed or something, I was then reissued the original 1.3 TD Disastra which had been dumped in a yard since the last time I saw it. I quit shortly afterwards for a much better job, but not before accidentally dragging the side of the Disastra along a trolley bay in a supermarket car park and leaving the keys with security at the office.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anteater said:

The stupid little airbag steering wheels don't help with the ponderous feel either. 

You couldn’t use the aftermarket column drop bracket on them either with the airbag wheel. 
Was a godsend on my 84 Mayfair

54 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Problem is Marco he charges ridiculous shipping charges to the UK - 30 euros shipping for a set of those 16 euro wheels!! 

Keith

Of course you could always search that well known UK supplier of bitz for various options for classic mini wheels and at a reasonable price 😀

And on the subject of BMW MINI’s, run flat tyres NO! 

Edited by mbdesignart
Extra text
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Of course you could always search that well known UK supplier of bitz for various options for classic mini wheels and at a reasonable price 😀

Of course, but does he do 13 inch Sportpack ones?!  TBH to me it's irrelevent as I don't want any - I do want a set of the 6x10 Minilites which I shall order as soon as I've saved enough pennies....!! :)

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Of course, but does he do 13 inch Sportpack ones?!  TBH to me it's irrelevent as I don't want any - I do want a set of the 6x10 Minilites which I shall order as soon as I've saved enough pennies....!! :)

Keith

....so do I. 

I had 6x10 on my Mini.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

TBH to me it's irrelevent as I don't want any !! :)

Keith

I must make a note of things you don't want 🤣 And wear a baseball cap backwards whilst thinking about 13" wheels on a mini 🙄 I had Wolfrace slots on my mini.

Will you be stalking the halls at Telford?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

Sorry to hear about this extreme shipping rate,  I just payed nearly the same price for a shipment (2 kits) from Japan transported by FeDex. 

But fortunally you are not interested in those 13 inch set.

For those who are interested in, as much as I know they will be avaiable soon,  produced by a british shop...see above 

Marco F 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Will you be stalking the halls at Telford?

Not this year unfortunately Mark, cost of living crisis and all that.... :(

7 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

I must make a note of things you don't want 

I really, really, really don't want a MIni 1275 GT/ Clubman bodyshell..... :whistle:

Keith

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 30/10/2022 at 15:30, Paul H said:

There's also a clearer sprue layout pic here, which appears to confirm what others have thought above, about there being future variants planned.  As the wheels & arches are all on their own sprues, and given that Hasegawa have started with a late Mini, I wonder if a Pose Sports Pack with the wide 13" wheels and matching arches is also on the cards?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-21157-mini-cooper--1478136  😎

C1 Models' ERA Turbo transkit looks very tempting too:

https://www.c1-models.com/resin/mini-era-turbo

Interesting.  

It still leaves the question of what version(s) they plan that will use the central speedo dash and drilled spoke steering wheel that are currently redundant parts. Strictly speaking, the floorpan moulding would need re-working as the capped rear bins and speakers integrated in the parcel shelf indicate an MPi Mini (like anyone really cares)... 

• Like 1

Maybe it is time that BMW stopped making so called Minis and brought out a decent small car of their own indigenous design instead. How many more versions of a retro style Mini can they make? Not that many I would think before the concept he been flogged to death altogether.. A bit of a novelty when it first came out, but they cannot just keep making more versions of the same before it gets a bit boring as the novelty wears off.

It will be interesting to see how many more years that Fiat keep making retro versions of the 500, although I must say that it is a much better styled retro car than the BMW Mini as they did not forget to keep it as small as current regulations will allow.

From the current crop of small cars the Toyota Aygo has got it bang on. Good styling, cheap to run and ultra reliable.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1