Classic Mini

Marco F.

We can ask Mark from motobitz if he can cast a clubman nose as a transfer kit. 

The Hasegawa runs on 12 inch wheels, 

if you will change the seats and you simplify the dahboard it's a 1275GT👍

Marco F 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

We can ask Mark from motobitz if he can cast a clubman nose as a transfer kit. 

Already have Marco, at the time he said he was done with Minis for the foreseeable future as he'd just done the Moke and pick up/van kits. Maybe if the Hasegawa kit is a big seller he could change his mind?! Or perhaps somebody good with 3D printing - rules me out then!! :)

49 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

The Hasegawa runs on 12 inch wheels, 

I thought it looked like it was a Sportspack car, which would have 13's...? Our GT runs on 13's so they would suit me (although we've got a set of 12 inch Minilites too!

Keith

edit: sorry Marco, just been looking at Sportspack pics and the model doesn't have the right arch extensions for one, so you were right. :)

• Like 3

Probably (in those shots) one of the best I've seen, But...

Do those seam lines between the side and headlights need to be finer/re-welded?

And, where is the distributor on this late model mini?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The engine on the kit looks very bare compared to the photo of the real thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Was the central speedo dash used on the last classic Mini's? Or does it and the 'motolita type' steering wheel suggest earlier versions may be planned?

K

Officially the central dash was changed around 1980. The basic Mini had a 2 instument plastic box behind the steering wheel. The spezial (1100cc 45 PS) mostly built in the belgium plant had a 3 intrument box. My last Mini with central dash was from 1976.... ok....in my Mini from 1980 and 1983 I installed the central one afterwards.  In my last one I installed an individual dash with Innocenti 1300 instuments but also in the middle 😇

Marco F 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Was the central speedo dash used on the last classic Mini's? Or does it and the 'motolita type' steering wheel suggest earlier versions may be planned?

K

I think an earlier version might be in the pipeline, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Deep panel lines to fit the rust bubbles in 😁

Late models were fuel injection and distributor-less but that kit engine is a bit bare. 
Also if it is a late MPi, the radiator should be at the front and not still at the side 🤷🏻

• Like 2

Based on the sprue pics, the engine appears to be only enough to be visible through the grille, as the bonnet doesn't open.  As a result, whilst it is a bit bare, the effect on the built model should be rather good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul H said:

Based on the sprue pics, the engine appears to be only enough to be visible through the grille, as the bonnet doesn't open.  As a result, whilst it is a bit bare, the effect on the built model should be rather good.

Unfortunately it looks that way. I am sure it will be a great kit but building and detailing the engine/engine bay is what I like best. But since it is a Mini I will most likely get one anyway,

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Yes please!

I’m not a Mini expert, so to me it doesn’t have to be 100% historical correct :) 

I remember the days when most of the Minis were not 100% original just bcs nearly every owner pimped the Mini....

Marco F 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

I remember the days when most of the Minis were not 100% original just bcs nearly every owner pimped the Mini....

Marco F 

And isn’t that a great thing Marco :) 

I “grew up” in a red Mini and later a white Cooper S, guess I inherited my love for small cars from my dad 🚗 

• Like 1

When I was 13 my dad bought a red '73 Mini for my mother  (?🤔🤭)

It was lowered, had Cosmic wheels and a sporting exhaustsystem attached to an Innocenti 1001 engine. The engine was similar to the 1000cc Cooper ones. It ended as my first car and started the row of totally 8 Minis over the years 

Marco F 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Probably the only original bit on ours is the rust....!! 🤣

Keith

🤣🤣🤣 yep you're right.  This was an untold option every Mini owner got for free and faced a lot of bodywork....just to mention the seam between the frontwings and the triangle sheet...and then the roundend panel in between...always great fun to fix 🙈

Marco F 

• Like 1

Since you can’t actually see the engine on this model it seems; with its separate arches it would make a better bet than the Fujimi for bog 850s or 1000s from 70 or so onwards, especially the twin stalks from 78 on…

• Like 2

That's a cool looking kit, expecting many variants as per usual Hasegawa practice. For a late Mini it's a much better bet than the Fujimi and its stupidly oversized wheels. By contrast the Hasegawa looks spot on. I'd also agree the inclusion of the central speedo dash and separate wheel spats points to earlier MkIII variants in the pipeline. I think the last of the central speedo dashboards were dropped in 1984 with the adoption of 12 inch wheels and front discs. Not all Minis up to 84 retained the central speedo of course; my 1982 HLE had instruments in front of the driver, but that's cos it was well fancy innit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

The Hobby Search page linked to in the first post has now been updated to include the instructions, so looks like this kit is due very soon now!

There's also a clearer sprue layout pic here, which appears to confirm what others have thought above, about there being future variants planned.  As the wheels & arches are all on their own sprues, and given that Hasegawa have started with a late Mini, I wonder if a Pose Sports Pack with the wide 13" wheels and matching arches is also on the cards?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/173531-hasegawa-mini-cooper-13l-1997/page/2/

• Thanks 1

I've already got this on pre-order and I'm glad I have.  Thanks @Paul H for the updated sprue photos.

If a Sportpack car comes out later, I'll definitely add one of those to my collection as I have fond memories of one I'd occasionally borrow from the company car pool at work.  It had the full-length sunroof, which was the only way to load anything large into the car, and it was utterly hilarious to drive.  The one problem is that I've done so much driving in 1275-powered Minis that when I drove a Mini 1000 it felt really lacking.

• Like 1