Winter 1941/42.

0U8RJNC.jpg

jO9HZgP.jpg

e4R9Ihu.jpg

oF7FMc8.jpg

s8Wqg0N.jpg

AKzSDiL.jpg

ALESikj.jpg

So after just over fifty years of slapping together pieces of injected plastic, I've finally attempted an aircraft in a chipped & faded winter finish. So after the 70/71 was masked & sprayed, I sealed it with a coat of gloss, then decalled and sealed again this time with two good coats of gloss. I left that for a week before decanting & spraying the hairspray in two coats, allowing that to go-off overnight then mottling the (Tamiya) white. I let that settle for around four hours then began picking, scratching and brushing it away in the high wear areas.

Later on I applied a light brownish grey overall wash using/mixing Flory washes which slightly toned the white and took-the-edge-off the finish. I sealed that with a coat of Tamiya lacquer satin clear. After a couple of days I broke-out the W & N oils and dirtied-up around the nacelles and added the exhaust streaks. After that was all sealed away, the last step was the streaks on the underside, again with W & N oils. Last job was two overall coats of Tamiya lacquer matt clear, a little pigment work on the tyres and final assembly.

As a first-attempt I'm fairly pleased with what I've ended-up with. If I do this finish again, I won't leave the hairspray as long to dry as it was quite stubborn to remove in some areas. So there t'is, please feel free to ask any questions, make any comments or criticisms. Going to take a break from aircraft building for a while as I've completed six builds in about four months, so time for an AFV build next I think.

All the best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 38

Lovely work, Ian.  A very realistic winter finish.  I've built this Airfix Do17Z as well, and I think you had the same issue as me with the four small transparencies on the upper fuselage/wing centre, where they are a tight fit. 

The Airfix transparencies are quite accommodating so these small items can be sanded smooth, properly cleaned with a little Revell Paint Remover which dries ultra quick and clears away any gunk, and the clear parts can then be returned to full clarity with a careful application of Future/Pledge using a small paint brush.  The same is true of the He111 kit, where the side windows don't fit properly.  I sanded those down and tidied them up before painting.

Notwithstanding, your model is excellent and well illustrates your skills.  Very well done... 😉.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by obdl3945
  • Thanks 1

That is a great weathering job Ian- really well weathered as I imagine it would be on the Eastern front.  I will have to try out your technique at some point.  I missed out on the Airfix Do17 first time around and will get one when they reappear.🙂

Colin

• Thanks 1