Airfix 1:72 Beaufighter - Israeli Air Force

This is Airfix's wonderful 1:72 Beaufighter. An absolute dream of a kit to put together and even the undercarriage is strong unlike the older tooling.

Finished in Hataka Orange Line paints which are my absolute go to paints full stop. Decal sheet was "Beaufighter Foreign Ministry Part 5" from "ROP o.s.", code - MNFDL72038 on Hannants.

If I get my bottom in gear, I may also do a write up on the full build of this for Phoenix Scale Publications. Life is busy and time is short but if enough people like this here, I'll do it sooner!

Please enjoy and I look forward to reading your comments! 

IMG_4107.jpgIMG_4109.jpgIMG_4111.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4118.jpgIMG_4119.jpgIMG_4120.jpgIMG_4123.jpgIMG_4126.jpgIMG_4129.jpgIMG_4135.jpgIMG_4139.jpg

• Like 68
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

A beautiful model and I love the scheme. Are those Hataka shades straight from the bottle? They look really good.

Correct - straight from bottle. I've found that 98% of Hatakas colours are BANG on! They're also incredibly easy to use from 50/50 for thicker layers, all the way down to 99/1 for really thin tonal variation or mottling! Hence why they're my go to paints.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Warwolf said:

This is Airfix's wonderful 1:72 Beaufighter. An absolute dream of a kit to put together and even the undercarriage is strong unlike the older tooling.

Finished in Hataka Orange Line paints which are my absolute go to paints full stop. Decal sheet was "Beaufighter Foreign Ministry Part 5" from "ROP o.s.", code - MNFDL72038 on Hannants.

If I get my bottom in gear, I may also do a write up on the full build of this for Phoenix Scale Publications. Life is busy and time is short but if enough people like this here, I'll do it sooner!

Please enjoy and I look forward to reading your comments! 

IMG_4107.jpgIMG_4109.jpgIMG_4111.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4118.jpgIMG_4119.jpgIMG_4120.jpgIMG_4123.jpgIMG_4126.jpgIMG_4129.jpgIMG_4135.jpgIMG_4139.jpg

Nicely done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny J said:

Looks great! Wasn't aware that Hataka did an "orange line" of paints - what thinners can you use with them?

Orange Line is Lacqure based and sprays superbly well. Their own Orange Line Thinner is heavenly. It can literally thin anything. Me and a few other friends call it "Unicorn Tears" because its that godly. If you're able to get hold of Phoenix Aviation Modeller March 2022 edition, I have a build of Airfix's 72nd Bucc using the Orange Line paints which you can read all about! I will post the Bucc next on here so keep an eye out for it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, opus999 said:

I think it looks spectacular!  Very realistic build.  I didn't know that Israel flew the Beaufighter, so this is new to me!

Read into the story. It's very interesting. They actually technically stole 4 (or 6 can't remember) of them!

• Like 2

Yes! It’s a fascinating story of how the Israelis obtained them. Basically set up a film company and pretended to be making a movie, so they could buy war-surplus aircraft. Then whilst supposedly filming the climax of the movie, the aircraft all disappeared over the horizon, to reappear in Israel. One method of beating the arms embargo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, F1xena said:

Yes! It’s a fascinating story of how the Israelis obtained them. Basically set up a film company and pretended to be making a movie, so they could buy war-surplus aircraft. Then whilst supposedly filming the climax of the movie, the aircraft all disappeared over the horizon, to reappear in Israel. One method of beating the arms embargo!

That's exactly it. Very odd and fascinating story!