Academy 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle Operation Iraqi Freedom, 336th Fighter Squadron, "Dragon Betty II"

Icarus

Good evening.

As you can see by the sale stickers (and price!) this has been in the Vault for some time.  With the joy of a cost of living crisis, I will be building this out of the box, so that will mean the original "bang seat" with the included flight crew present to negate the need for aftermarket belts.

UfgBT7k9BgFTPCN6HTy72CI5Erk9yaVbCBzX5HSu

EjPugOcLfdMpfcARlwVGo7wWiQRYlQKDnqBcq9C0

C1JnAumiVkMJYc4LpgNtWU10lEIUTm6Z_N_8vahv

Looking forward to this.  

Icarus

• Like 4

Very early days, but the initial signs from this kit are very promising.  I forgot that this has some PE included, so will use these seatbelts.  Cartograph decals as well - how on Earth was this so heavily discounted when I bought it???

YmJBws3U5kM3k_K8HWszHh-LrfrRBl0o4qDP6GGB

NAfF5zrjuWA0AyQuYt1Fb4XpAtdeu4aJ3s-I5l1U

Those I/P surface details should pop out really well with a bit of dry brushing.  Having (belatedly) looked at some reference photos, I am tempted to try and use capillary action to fill in the background behind the black instruments with the cockpit base grey, but perhaps not worth the risk of ruining the detail.  There are some spare copies of the I/Ps in the kit, so I will experiment on these first...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cockpit now largely done - just need to add a unifying coat of satin varnish.  All out of the box - heaven only knows why this was reduced so much when I bought it.

l7OEFxmyzPliBxvjCRNUtqMNEp4ocIemnpVIlR8b

Yl2uyO82-DO6RsWAHPwvtcov2Mv-agKMmdmyVkln

Next stage is to start building the fuselage up.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

Sub-assemblies coming along.  Great kit - a joy to make.

jlF9rPw1bRTGQRZecoNzbM9d3FbHzaYvUizTROYv

Note an example of the unexpected extra PE on the nose - I will add those for the main body later.  I have also amputated the relevant bits of the fuselage "tail feathers" as per the clear guidance in the instructions using my trusty old razor saw - replacement parts to go on later.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

Evening all.

Many of the major structures are on now.  I will keep the fins off until after the main paint to help the masking for the metal engine area - similarly, no tail planes or afterburner cans.  You can see the updated "tail feathers" are now on., as well as the extra PE panels.

CzkMJ6i8UuBpyS1rQVpElTkm6iASZ0GFFSccBi1l

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Lots of travel with work, so only really got going with the paint scheme this week.  I laid down a black primer base, then a modulated layer of Gunship Grey.  Finally, I masked the rear fuselage for where I think the metallic shield should be (a bit of guesswork around the new rear "feathers", and apologies for the poor lighting...)

KQBWo7fQexlUIbCisSWeDc3JXIIC0drmKKGbMZBI

QyDthgYm1j2loF5ZiN8P7KPQomXZbQ2Qnt5TxVY5

One can't be too cautious with Alclad!

I then laid down Alclad Airframe Aluminium - from the reference photos, I am not convinced the "silver" stipulated in the instructions is correct.  Anyway, ....

imeis5lbTe33jiXdjVZ-ovCkMXaAYXf2AJzbqJtT

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CeKqbMCtRosKVqzybwa-7rZ-hQ3AVfqsG_KxhDyRe1DC43cXsQniU86uhcNHwyshtqQVi2KEkZGo2QaNmXAs3nVypmMl-KQvzqLBOP0ShuCTABIBXnd-VP-YqmOyilG16J1kCVajrA=w2400

Now on to the afterburner cans - more Alclad on the way...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Decals on - now adding the fiddly bits and weapons.

x7JoEr-43_ZG5d96BQDSqc_j8io2TnxOcQ1VLm5a

STFw9nL1V-vJF6NVxDWG6dQ-R1M9j9tI5mmtW9Bk

BTW the somewhat extreme colour contrasts on the upper surface of the right wing are artefactual - I had to a little bit of touching up post gloss varnish when I saw some blemishes, so these are unvarnished.  I am assuming these will blend in with the final satin/matt varnish post (light) weathering.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the UK now, so hoping to get this finished in time for the GB deadline.

The undercarriage, blade aerials and most of the pylons are on now.  I will add as much payload as I can get done by the deadline, then final varnish before unmasking the canopy (always a slightly nerve-racking moment...)

MH-Eu-qgd812rjJylEXP_khRjrCy8LtClbDnwDRH

VerNijI6uDIA1vYsnXX_pjnCA0yFgXMQt-G2xiPI

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

So, family stuff has meant I didn't get time to finish this by the deadline.  I am travelling with work again in the morning, but back in the UK from Wed, so will post the final pics in this thread (when I get all those decals on the weapons!).

Thanks for looking,

Icarus.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Sam.  such is the way with modern jets - safety first (somewhat ironic on a killing machine perhaps?)  Putting them on all the weapons also took more than a day.

Great kit - well done Academy.

Icarus

• 7 months later...

Hi Icarus,

Great build, thanks for sharing.  I can't tell, but did the kit require much in the way of filling etc?  I've heard that some of the F15 kits by Academy require filling, but it was hard to tell from yours. 

Long gone are the days of Model Zone deep discounting to make shelf space for new stock.  Used to love that shop.  I guess the high street locale killed them in the end. 

Cheers

Bryn

Edited by Voyager221