1/72 RCAF Spitfire Vb

Hairy Stickler

Morning/Afternoon/Evening* All,

* delete as applicable

Thought I would make a start today on my entry (Mrs Stickler has gone to her Dad's for a few days).

Anyway, this is what I'm aiming for

Spitfire Vb CGB

Lovely decal set from Exito with some superb artwork (which will hopefully make a comeback in a "glamour-themed" group build next year).

This is the starting point 

Spitfire Vb CGB

I know, I know, it's rear end is totally the wrong shape, etc. but if it walks like a duck.......!

Here it is OOB and ready to go 

Spitfire Vb CGB

I'll try and give regular updates but, be warned,  I'm not exactly a fast worker and I have a bedroom to decorate (so others may decide my priorities)!😀

Hope all are well 

Best regards 

Peter 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Morning All,

Conscious of quite a long period of "radio silence" so I thought that I would bring things up to speed. 

As per the instructions,  I kicked off with the cockpit assembly:

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

This all went together rather well and so it would have been a good idea to have taken a photo before I sealed it away for all time in the fuselage but.......

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

Well,  you can kind of get the idea!🤣

The airframe went together easily with just a small amount of filler required.  The only real issue was the lack of any sort of dihedral on the wings.  They were as flat as a pancake! However,  after a fair amount of sanding around the roots and hitching the wings up with masking tape while the glue was drying, I did manage to achieve a  bit of an angle.

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/72

I'm now ready to paint (I have already masked and painted the fuselage band and applied a first coat on the under surfaces in my pyjamas this morning)!

So it's "so far so good".  I'll try not to leave it so long to the next update. 

Best wishes to all 

Peter 

• Like 9

Definitely Spitfire shaped now :) I'm hoping that you mean you painted the under surfaces while you were wearing your pyjamas, and not that you painted the undersurfaces within them? 🤣

James

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Definitely Spitfire shaped now :) I'm hoping that you mean you painted the under surfaces while you were wearing your pyjamas, and not that you painted the undersurfaces within them? 🤣

James

Thanks James, conjuring up all sorts of odd images in my mind!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

James

Blimey, you nicked my joke! 'How did the undersurfaces get in your pyjamas?' Oh, yes, and nice work on the Spitfire! Is that a common problem with this kit - the lack of dihedral on the wings? I have the Mk.I kit, but not this one. I remember the Mk.I to be a rather nice little kit.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

James

For the avoidance of any doubt, it was the Spitfire whose lower surfaces received a first coat, not my Pyjamas or myself! I mean, come on, these are only small bottles of paint and, even with a LOT of thinning I'm not really sure how much of my nightwear (or me for that matter) one would cover!🤣

Thanks all for your kind comments

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Learstang said:

Blimey, you nicked my joke! 'How did the undersurfaces get in your pyjamas?' Oh, yes, and nice work on the Spitfire! Is that a common problem with this kit - the lack of dihedral on the wings? I have the Mk.I kit, but not this one. I remember the Mk.I to be a rather nice little kit.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I tracked down this build review on Hyperscale and it looks like the lack of dihedral is a known issue with this kit.

https://hyperscale.com/2007/features/spitfirevb72rf_1.htm

Best regards 

Peter 

• Thanks 1