Spitfire XIVe and XIVc, 1944 (Airfix and Eduard 1/48)

Spitfire XIVc RB169 MN-F, No. 350 Squadron, RAF Lympne, October 1944.

Spitfire XIVe NH654 DL-? [N sic], J-M. Maridor, No. 91 Squadron, West Malling, 7 July 1944.

1/48 Airfix XIVe bubble top (A05135) x2 and Eduard VIIIc (84132) kit bash, Barracudacast four slot resin wheels (BR48317), Ultracast seats (48068), Ultracastcockpit door (48216), Master spitfire E wing guns early (AM48005), Master spitfire C wing guns (AM48004), G-Factor brass landing gear.  Tamiya X&XF acrylic, Alclad Aluminum II metals, Testor’s Dullcoat, Prismacolour pencil, brass rod, Nitinol wire.  Thanks to Paul Budzik for the inspirational how-to videos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ilj
typo
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ilj said:

Spitfire XIVc RB169 MN-F, No. 350 Squadron, RAF Lympe, October 1944.

Spitfire XIVe NH654 DL-? [N sic], J-M. Maridor, No. 91 Squadron, West Malling, 7 July 1944.

1/48 Airfix XIVe bubble top (A05135) x2 and Eduard VIIIc (84132) kit bash, Barracudacast four slot resin wheels (BR48317), Ultracast seats (48068), Ultracastcockpit door (48216), Master spitfire E wing guns early (AM48005), Master spitfire C wing guns (AM48004), G-Factor brass landing gear.  Tamiya X&XF acrylic, Alclad Aluminum II metals, Testor’s Dullcoat, Prismacolour pencil, brass rod, Nitinol wire.  Thanks to Paul Budzik for the inspirational how-to videos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice, thank you for the "Belgian" one.

Alain

Very very nice indeed 👍

Since an accurate high-back XIV kit has been years not coming, this seems to be what skilled modellers will continue to do to get around the gap in the market.

Not me, because I've studied the conversion on youtube and it's a bit beyond my current skill level.

Hell, even a nice F21 standard kit would do it for me.

Spitfire XIVc RB169 MN-F, No. 350 Squadron, RAF Lympne, October 1944. (this ac is depicted in some decal sets and profiles as having an 'e-wing', but its serial number and one contemporary image suggest 'c' so I went with the 'c-wing')

A wonderful pair of Spitfires and a great tribute to a true hero! 👍 Capitane Jean Marie Maridor fled to the UK in June 1940 and joined the Free French Airforce. After serving with 615 Squadron he was frist assigned to 91 Squadron in February 1942 and ended his first tour with Nigeria Squadron in autumn of 1943. He returned for a second tour with the same Squadron in spring of 1944. Capitane Maridor was credited with four confirmed, two probables, three damaged and eleven V-1s. He perished on August 3 1944 when his aircraft got too close to a V-1 that he destroyed with his cannons. Had he not chosen to fire at such a close range the diver would have crashed at the Military Hospital that was housed at Benenden School in Rolvenden.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ilj said:

Spitfire XIVc RB169 MN-F, No. 350 Squadron, RAF Lympne, October 1944. (this ac is depicted in some decal sets and profiles as having an 'e-wing', but its serial number and one contemporary image suggest 'c' so I went with the 'c-wing')

For what it's worth, I agree that 350 Squadron was flying 'c' armed XIVs, not 'e'.  Very nice pair!

• Thanks 1

here are some additional images of these

the port wheel of RB169 got bumped and has gone wonky - the axle is soft Airfix plastic, and this is why I like brass landing gear (NH654 has the G-Factor brass landing gear struts)

xivs-ilj-10-00n.jpg

xivs-ilj-11-01n.jpg

xivs-ilj-12-02n.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Beautiful models. I'm a Yank so I'm ok with the horrid Academy kit.

52261878355_d6e85e9bd5_b.jpg

Go ahead and throw stones. You'll never reach. Seriously though beautiful job on yours.

Kudos!

Ron 

Ps forgive the dust. It's been in the cabinet since the 90s

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Like 2