1/48th Cromwell MklVf.

This is another one of my builds which Village Photos have made it awkward to access. It's the standard Tamiya kit with the following alterations.

Engine deck panels rescribed to represent a D-F version.

RH front of the upper hull was rebuilt to be a mirror image of the gunner's escape hatch, ie; side opening hatch for the driver. The forward stowage bin was discarded and the track guard rescribed.

The stowage bins, first seen on F models, were made from card and detailed with etched brass clasps from Eduard.

The main gun was replaced with one from RB Models.

The leaf spring tow bar was made from laminates of card, as were the two circular brackets on the glacis plate, for winding the tow rope around.

To give the appearance of displaced road wheels, I cut off the second and third axle with a razor saw and filed it flat. Holes were then drilled higher up the hull and tubing inserted for new axles.

To show the wheels displaced, I made a railway crossing using O Guage track. It's a little out of scale, but near enough. The figures are both from Dartmoor Military Models. One cockup that I did make was to forget to remove the bolt heads from the spare wheel, and drill out the holes. Too late now!

DsXQ3aQ.jpg

dve6hKC.jpg

d366kNU.jpg

aZqEiBI.jpg

0ppyBS1.jpg

lg1wDF4.jpg

qQJyZGF.jpg

AK84uql.jpg

aILKuyG.jpg

VFaoAjH.jpg

Thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, IanC said:

Absolutely terrific John. I love how you've displayed it - gives a great sense of movement. 

19 hours ago, SimonL said:

That’s brilliant John, inspirational. And reinforces my decision to perhaps not go overboard with weathering - nicely restrained, but very realistic.

16 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Stunning work again John!!! The bump in the middle of the running gear as it goes over the tracks is terrific and you’ve thought about every little detail, you knowledge of these vehicles is really amazing.

Thanks for all of your comments. They really are appreciated.

John.

Another cracker John, your subject knowledge is exemplary.  Really nice touch articulating the suspension and adding the figures. 

If you hadn't mentioned it I certainly wouldn't have noticed the diligence the crew went to secure the spare road wheel, wouldn't want anything unsecured falling off....😉

Great work, as ever.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Nice work John, are those the original tracks? They look good with the running gear.

Thanks very much. Yes, those are the link and length tracks which came with the kit. It took a bit of bending, cutting and general persuading, but they conformed in the end. I'll probably do something similar again with a Mk.Vllw, if I can find some suitable tracks to represent the 15.5 inch ones that those tanks used.

John.

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

If you hadn't mentioned it I certainly wouldn't have noticed the diligence the crew went to secure the spare road wheel, wouldn't want anything unsecured falling off...

Yes, eight bolts would certainly have made it secure. At least Tamiya got the number correct.

Thanks for your comments Darryl. Much appreciated.

John.

Very tidy indeed 👏 Excellent finish on the model and I love how you've done the running gear.....makes such a difference. I've never thought of doing that with the kit link and length tracks.

I believe Hauler do a section of 1/48 railway track but as you say O gauge looks more than fine 👍

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Another big admirer of your Cromwell. Marvelously painted and weathered and the base and tracks are superbly done. Very nice work John.👏👍

Much appreciated Stef. Many thanks for your comments.

John.

16 hours ago, StuartH said:

Very tidy indeed 👏 Excellent finish on the model and I love how you've done the running gear.....makes such a difference. I've never thought of doing that with the kit link and length tracks.

I believe Hauler do a section of 1/48 railway track but as you say O gauge looks more than fine 👍

Hi Stuart, and many thanks for your comments. You'd be surprised at how flexible those tracks become once you've nicked them with a blade.

Yes, I think that O gauge is around 1/43rd, so close enough.

John.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 17:54, edjbartos said:

Very nice John, looks fabulous. Nice painting and weathering, nice looking figures and terrific base too. Splendid work...👍

Ed

On 06/08/2022 at 15:42, Carius said:

Another superb job like always my friend.

Cheers :cheers:

Thanks to both of you for the comments and apologies for the late reply. I'm in the UK at the moment and on a (caravan) site with no Wifi.

John.

• Like 1