Bf-109G captured in Greece and used by Royal Hellenic Air Force 1944-1945 anti-insurgency

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

A Wiki article on the Bf-109 states that captured 109's in Greece, 1944 were used by the Royal Hellenic Air Force and employed in the anti-insurgency operations against Greek insurgents at the end of hostilities.  The Greeks also used Spitfire VC's and other miscellaneous aircraft in these ops. Question: has anyone ever seen a photo or drawing of a captured Royal Hellenic Bf-109Gs, and if so, what was the color scheme?  I would presume the captured 109's were derelicts from JG.27, and the original camouflage was preserved after s hasty removal of German insignia and markings.  Any help in this regard would be most appreciated. 

The RAF moved into Greece in September 1944, and initially carried out operations against the retreating Germans.  335 and 336 Sq of the RHAF did not move to Greece until November 1944.  being fully equipped with Spitfire Mk.Vc at this time there would seem to be little interest (other than sheer curiosity) in returning any of these Bf.109s to flying condition (assuming this was possible), let alone pressing them into operation with whatever limited stock of German fuel, oil, spares and weapons remained.  Other priorities would have overwhelmed casual interest.

This said, I've not seen any even part-comprehensive study of this conflict, and odd things do happen.  However, this would seem certain to have drawn attention  long before now, and I'm sure LM would have been delighted to produce an appropriate sheet!  Given the lack of any such evidence, I'd treat it as a bar story akin to boxes of Spitfires buried in Burma.

• Thanks 1

There is a book by Jackiewicz and Wawrzynski published by Atelier Kecav called Captured Me 109s. A skim through it does not show anything that fits your description.

It is a very comprehensive book with 150+ well referenced profiles and 400+ photographs so I may have missed it. You could do a lifetime of interesting models from it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, Ed Russell said:

There is a book by Jackiewicz and Wawrzynski published by Atelier Kecav called Captured Me 109s. A skim through it does not show anything that fits your description.

It is a very comprehensive book with 150+ well referenced profiles and 400+ photographs so I may have missed it. You could do a lifetime of interesting models from it.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:33 AM, Graham Boak said:

The RAF moved into Greece in September 1944, and initially carried out operations against the retreating Germans.  335 and 336 Sq of the RHAF did not move to Greece until November 1944.  being fully equipped with Spitfire Mk.Vc at this time there would seem to be little interest (other than sheer curiosity) in returning any of these Bf.109s to flying condition (assuming this was possible), let alone pressing them into operation with whatever limited stock of German fuel, oil, spares and weapons remained.  Other priorities would have overwhelmed casual interest.

This said, I've not seen any even part-comprehensive study of this conflict, and odd things do happen.  However, this would seem certain to have drawn attention  long before now, and I'm sure LM would have been delighted to produce an appropriate sheet!  Given the lack of any such evidence, I'd treat it as a bar story akin to boxes of Spitfires buried in Burma.

I agree.  Firstly JG.27 was not surrounded and would have evacuated all aircraft in an orderly manner. Any aircraft left behind would have been disabled.  Moreover the Bf-109G, without spare parts, repairs and regular maintenance, would have been a death trap. Finally the 109 was a fighter, not a fighter bomber. It could carry a bomb load, but not far. I am not sure it would have been useful in fighting insurgents, even if there were plentiful spare parts and someone who knew how to maintain the systems.