FAA Tiger Moth, only a couple of careful owners from new!!!

Hi all

I have been  working on this little beauty,  what a lovely kit from Airfix .  I wanted to model this aurframe since I came across an image a few years ago whilst researching my Matchbox 32nd Tiggie.  The image is of XL717 at Abbotsinch in July 1961 and it has patches of what could be EDSG where repairs had been carried out I presume, a dented upper engine cowling panel and the wheels had very shiny rims, a sort of Rat look before it became popular.   I think it is looking a bit care worn !!!

I don't have the image as it was on Airliners.net and I don't want to infringe any copyright laws. 

The kit is superb and Airfix are to be congratulated on yet another superb release.

Thank you Airfix, please can we have one in 1/24th scale please!

I have used some of the Eduard PE set and the CMK upper fuel tank part and wheels, I added some bits myself .  The extended rudder actuators to allow the cables to clear the anti spin strakes., the Aileron cables underneath. 

I added the dents to the upper cowling panel too and added some plasticard strip to the cockpit doors as  they were too flat.

The model was brush painted with Humbrol enamels and weathered with oil paints for panel lines and powders too

Here's a link to the WIP

Thanks to all who have supported and encouraged me during this build , much appreciated. 

Here's some images to save me wittering on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aileron control cables and the turnbuckle ends are from stretched cotton bud tube

spacer.png

Bob's Buckles eyelets used on the horizontal tail planes as cable guides for the upper elevator cables, extended rudder actuators to clear the strakes

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit

I forgot the rigging spreader bars??? So added those last night and painted the tips today

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in 

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
Forgot yhe spreader bars
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

That is a lovely build Chris.

Thank you billyharry2000, very kind .

2 hours ago, Natter said:

Most 1/32nd Tigers don't look that good. Superb.

Thanks Natter, very kind too, I am chuffed with how it turned out.  The Matchbox kit with a lot of work can be made into a stunner. 

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks gorgeous over here too…

The outdoor pictures make you want to just climb in.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  really kind too fella .  Would love to get in one and have a go.  A very enjoyable kit too, kudos to Airfix for turning out another fantastic kit.

1 hour ago, Angell328 said:

Beautiful build!

That rigging is top draw 😮

Matt

Very kind thanks Matt, the main rigging is Prym Knitting in elastic,  and the control cables is invisible thread.  

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Stunning! 

Thanks Ben , well worth the investment to add to your FAA collection too.

45 minutes ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Simply beautiful - stunning build Chris! 
Great scheme too, love it

Dave

Thanks Dave  very generous  of you.  I just had to model this one it looked very ratty in the photo and I am quite a fan of ratty vehicles so just had to model this one

45 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

An absolute stunner that! Beautiful looking model, in fact it looks real in the outdoor photos. Amazing.

Thanks for those really kind comments LR.  That is very pleasing for us modellers to hear and it is very much appreciated.  A great kit and it is lovely to build.

Thanks guys for your lovely comments. 

Chris

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed following this one, and the RFI doesn't disappoint. Lovely stuff, I particularly like the canning on the cowl, and the centre section undersides (both the fuel tank and the cockpit) are really well done. Great job Chris.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Awesome stuff. This one hits home a bit as my grandfather trained in these before heading off to bombers. You e shown excellent skills on this, it’s very convincing to the eye. Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

Chris,

Superb build and finish mate - a most enjoyable build to follow too! Your extra detailing has lifted an already lovely kit to another level - well done!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

She's a real gem Chris, absolutely tremendous bit of modelling - and brush painted too - just brilliant!

Top work!

Keith

Thanks Keith  very kind of you, this was a joy to put together and have  enjoyed adding the extras to it. A great kit. Thanks for your support too during the build

11 hours ago, Ngantek said:

I've really enjoyed following this one, and the RFI doesn't disappoint. Lovely stuff, I particularly like the canning on the cowl, and the centre section undersides (both the fuel tank and the cockpit) are really well done. Great job Chris.

Andy

Thanks Andy , glad to have you along and thanks for following.   I just had to capture that canning it is such a feature on the original

7 hours ago, mark.au said:

Great job Chris.

Thanks Mark and thanks for following 

6 hours ago, Robert_ said:

Awesome stuff. This one hits home a bit as my grandfather trained in these before heading off to bombers. You e shown excellent skills on this, it’s very convincing to the eye. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks Robert,very kind and it is great to think it has evoked a memory and connection too. I did a 32nd scale Tiggie as a Glider Polot trainer and then found out that SWMBO'S grand father was a Glider pilot trainer and when I showed his daughter she was delighted and gave me his Tigermoth propeller he smuggled home after the war.

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Superb build and finish mate - a most enjoyable build to follow too! Your extra detailing has lifted an already lovely kit to another level - well done!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger  too kind and always great to have you along to thanks for your support. Very pleased with the extra bits.  I had better get on with the Swordfish now!!!😉

3 hours ago, Mjoo said:

Very nice! Your build has a lovely ”worn but well kept” atmosphere to it.

Thanks Mjoo , glad I was able to capture the Ratlook in an Aircraft model  very pleased and pleased you picked up on that too.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks wonderful, though there is a reason I don't do 1/48, all that beautiful detail scares the living whoosits out of me. ;) :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve  I really enjoyed this one and even OOB would look fantastic,  I fo not what you mean though  I was thinking the same about the Sea Venom I have on the go  but am getting there now with it.  I would recommend tge Tiggie kit Steve it's a beauty and a real pleasure to put together.

Thanks guys for all your generous comments   it's made my day.

Chris

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pinback said:

Wow:) Always like seeing your work Chris!

Thanks, very kind PB, hope you're keeping well. 

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A Mothe to be proud of! Brilliant modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, very kind of you too  it's such a lovely kit to start with.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

She came out looking an absolute stunner Chris. Your modelling skills, especially the painting part, are quite simply amazing!

Terry

Thanks Terry,  really kind fella, I find the painting one of the best bits anc is quite therapeutic.   

Chris

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all

I have been  working on this little beauty,  what a lovely kit from Airfix .  I wanted to model this aurframe since I came across an image a few years ago whilst researching my Matchbox 32nd Tiggie.  The image is of XL717 at Abbotsinch in July 1961 and it has patches of what could be EDSG where repairs had been carried out I presume, a dented upper engine cowling panel and the wheels had very shiny rims, a sort of Rat look before it became popular.   I think it is looking a bit care worn !!!

I don't have the image as it was on Airliners.net and I don't want to infringe any copyright laws. 

The kit is superb and Airfix are to be congratulated on yet another superb release.

Thank you Airfix, please can we have one in 1/24th scale please!

I have used some of the Eduard PE set and the CMK upper fuel tank part and wheels, I added some bits myself .  The extended rudder actuators to allow the cables to clear the anti spin strakes., the Aileron cables underneath. 

I added the dents to the upper cowling panel too and added some plasticard strip to the cockpit doors as  they were too flat.

The model was brush painted with Humbrol enamels and weathered with oil paints for panel lines and powders too

Here's a link to the WIP

Thanks to all who have supported and encouraged me during this build , much appreciated. 

Here's some images to save me wittering on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aileron control cables and the turnbuckle ends are from stretched cotton bud tube

spacer.png

Bob's Buckles eyelets used on the horizontal tail planes as cable guides for the upper elevator cables, extended rudder actuators to clear the strakes

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit

I forgot the rigging spreader bars??? So added those last night and painted the tips today

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in 

Chris

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

Chris -

Fantastic work as ever, mate!

I have this kit in my stash and this will most likely be my next project once I have finished my current one.   I'm to read this is a good kit from Airfix - any issues I need to be aware of?

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi,

this is the modelling level we all dream of... And keep on dreaming about.

Stupendous result! Congrats!!!

I am building this kit at the mo, and I now feel rather subdued.

But it is a beautifully engineered kit and a pleasure to tinker with.

Super well done.

JR

• Thanks 1

Love  a well built Tiger Moth. SOme fine work there. BUt i need to ask... is thata light grey finish with the T bands? I believed them to be silver dope

• Thanks 1