32 Ford B400

Hello, gents.

This is my first post in this section and I am starting with my favorite modeling subject - hot rods and one that I just completed in somewhat British flavor. 

Most of the kit is the standard Revell '32 Ford 5 window coupe. Except for the 5 window coupe, which has been replaced by very reworked Jimmy Flintstone resin body. To say that the JF body was crude is an understatement. I cut off the top and then carefully sanded the inside of the body to thin it's crazy thickness. Next it was lined up with sheet styrene to create a base to build on and the whole interior was scratch built, except for the front seats which are straight from Revell's Dan Fink Speed Wagon '32 Ford. Grille is photoetch with the surround made from jewelry wire. rear shocks are scratchbuilt and there is quite a bit more photo etch throughout. All paint is almost exclusively Tamiya, except for the interior. 

This was actually the experimental Guinea Pig model that I used to try things out for a more involved B400 project. Which gave it it's nickname:

THE STEPCHILD

IezilB.jpg

zXPikX.jpg
7sj700.jpg

pGF3JV.jpg

wpixeE.jpg

Uy7Xx0.jpg
iRij0M.jpg
e0gQMt.jpg
tdueMo.jpg
io1lxh.jpg
7Z8sQn.jpg
jmL7Rk.jpg
B0a5CJ.jpg
sp0sBh.jpg
JUhafK.jpg
Cmdb7s.jpg

• Like 12

Congratulations on a finely crafted model.  Hot rods are too thin on the ground here, it's great to see a slightly unusual bodystyle too.  The finish and detail you achieved in 1:32 scale is quite something.  Hotrodding is something I was heavily into about half a century ago and I still admire a well built and original 'rod.  I'll have to dig out one or two I built back in the day and see if they're good enough to post here.  Well done!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

Now there's a body style you don't see every day. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a B400 model!

Well done on a very cleanly built car.

Thank you, Tony. I appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, Neddy said:

Congratulations on a finely crafted model.  Hot rods are too thin on the ground here, it's great to see a slightly unusual bodystyle too.  The finish and detail you achieved in 1:32 scale is quite something.  Hotrodding is something I was heavily into about half a century ago and I still admire a well built and original 'rod.  I'll have to dig out one or two I built back in the day and see if they're good enough to post here.  Well done!

Thank you, Neddy. 
Well, two things. First, I am just about to reach half a century myself, so you being into hotrors that long ago must be cool. I am sure that things were a lot different back then and both building styles and quality have changed dramatically over the years. 
   Second, this is not 1:32 scale. The model is the “standard” for US 1:25 scale. 

• Like 1

Sorry, my mistake - I misread the original post.  Still remarkable though in 1:25 scale!

Yes, they have changed hugely.  The sheer quality of the builds displayed here was one heck of a surprise to me when I joined earlier this year but it's given me something to pitch at and my skills have benefited a lot from it already.  I do miss the creativity of the 1:1 scale custom car builders of the likes of George Barris and Ed Roth and the inspiration they provided which spurred the spotty teenager I was then to create custom designs of my own.

Edited by Neddy

Nice job.  Flintstone stuff is definitely cheap and cheerful.  I have a JF model A sedan body, which ought to be a straightforward conversion, but even that needs a lot of cleanup and fettling.