A build from the stash I didn't know I had!

Brilliant find. Brilliant story. Brilliant result. Made me smile on a damp Sunday morning. I well remember that 60’s kit with the big red flash on the spine. Well done Selwyn. 

I too built this kit when I was a kid back in the 70'es. :D I built mine as the IDF F-4E.

Great to see an old warhorse built into a really nice model! :goodjob:

Thanks for the memories! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

What a nice find to remind you of earlier times your Phantom looks good.  It may have been superseded in terms of accuracy but nostalgia builds have their own attraction- I have an Airfix Hawker Hart in the queue.🙂

Colin

I enjoyed the story. Good old Mum. I too remember building in the IDF scheme. Your build looks great. It is nice to see your nostalgia build. Cheers Neil

Really good backstory and modelling Selwyn, isn't it amazing how our parents shape our lives in one way or another. As it happens my dad build this for me when I was about 4 or 5, can you imagine how happy I was to work on these fantastic looking aircraft in the RAF during their last few years. Money just can't buy memories like that. Thanks for the post, do you have the original box art.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Autle said:

Really good backstory and modelling Selwyn, isn't it amazing how our parents shape our lives in one way or another. As it happens my dad build this for me when I was about 4 or 5, can you imagine how happy I was to work on these fantastic looking aircraft in the RAF during their last few years. Money just can't buy memories like that. Thanks for the post, do you have the original box art.

well I have the original box if that is what you mean?

Selwyn

Nice job on this old kit Selwyn, it looks better than its years would suggest. 👍

Well done your Mum, they're special people, I still have kits that mine packed up forty years ago when I was on my OE & they shifted from our family home. Luckily I had their new address. ;) :D

Steve.

Lovely story Selwyn & a lovely build too.

I lost my mum in April & it has hit me harder than I ever would of imagined.

God bless the mums - Steve

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

Lovely story Selwyn & a lovely build too.

I lost my mum in April & it has hit me harder than I ever would of imagined.

God bless the mums - Steve

Yes, you kind of think mums are immortal, lts a shock when they leave. 2020 was a terrible time for our family. My mums elder sister died of COVID on a Sunday, mum died  of the big C just 48 hours later.  still not totally over it, my heart goes out to you and your loss.

Selwyn

• Sad 4

A very nice story and very nice build of my least favorite Phantom kit of all time. This is the only kit I've ever stopped building and thrown away because it just didn't look enough like a Phantom to me. Many here in the US talk trash about the old Revell kit, but I think it looks more like a Phantom than this kit, all of which makes the job you did here even more impressive. Great job!!

Lovely story Selwyn. Hope that building the kit brought back lots of happy memories of your childhood and your Mum and Dad.

The model looks great too. I built one a while ago and was pleasantly surprised when the original big old red flash transfer settled across the spine without breaking up!

Regards,

Adrian

A great back story Selwyn, tinged with much sadness concerning your losses.

I also had this kit back in the day and I also turned it into an Israeli E, with much filler and a couple of toothpaste tube tops to represent the longer exhausts! Happy days indeed.

Your B has turned out to be a very respectable rendering of that nostalgic Airfix offering. Great job!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry.

Top build, and story Selwyn, sorry for your loss.

I've built a very incomplete (no cockpit interior or undercarriage) 1/72 Hasegawa F-4B in those markings,

and have repainted my build of that Airfix Phantom as Olds1 from that Modeldecal sheet

20 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Very nice job too! I always remember this kit with the two tailplane parts having those little cams on so that the tail could tilt up and down! Ahh, Memories😉

And it works on this kit build!

Selwyn

• Like 1