Airfix 1/48th Auster

AMB

No, but I’m happy to keep this thread going to hopefully garner additional interest. You would think (in similar vein to their 1/48 Chipmunk and Anson), Airfix have decided to upscale some of their previous classic British designs in order to incorporate some additional detail. It certainly fits in with their recent YouTubers seminar presentation where Luke described what the team look for before committing to their next Capex kit design.

A 1/48 Auster Antarctic would certainly be a popular choice, with British, Australian and New Zealand schemes all incorporated in the first box. Put me down for at least two kits thanks! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

It would be a unusual subject if true. I would be surprised considering their normal criteria for new tools. It doesn't really meet the iconic, nor export potential Link . But you never know, its certainly an unloved subject of an interesting aircraft family.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grayhawk said:

How about an AOP 6 or 9 in 48th and 72nd.  I know I'm asking a lot but I can dream...

I can't see it being an AOP.9,as schemes would be limited, possibly an AOP.6/T.7 with options to make civil and military plus a BEAGLE Terrier perhaps?

• Like 2

Embarrassed to say .. I don't know what an Auster is?, an Aircraft I presume, and yes I should go google it :)

EDIT: It looks interesting, would love Airfix to do a 1/48 Lysander though.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ptmvarsityfan said:

Would love to see Airfix doing an Auster but can't see it, the above post sums it up, poster not heard of Auster.

Cheers, Paul

A lot of people didn't know what the Fairey Rotodyne was, but Airfix reissued it three times!!!   Ignorance of aviation history is no excuse for not producing a kit that indeed many people have heard of and would build a kit of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s a shame to read that some modellers have never heard of the Auster (off to the naughty corner please!) and this may be a bad omen for anyone at Hornby Co. reading this thread.

I’m hopeful a well laid out model, with possible Antarctic ground support equipment would make for a beautiful and colourful kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm not trying to put Airfix off at all, honestly, and shame on me for not knowing what an Auster looked like, its the naughty corner for me for sure :) All good fun Guys ☺️ I'm embarrassed enough already LOL

However I bet a lot of Airfix's customers will be swooned by the box art no matter the subject if its good and hits the shelves at a good price, us online forum folk are probably a tiny vocal minority of Airfix's customers ... I hope the Anson sells well in 1/48, its not an Aircraft I'd have thought of much before, but will buy one ... probably invest in canopy and turret masking too at the very least in my cutting back in the hobby due to rising cost of living prices of energy ETC.

So Wish Airfix or even Tamiya would do a 1/48 Lysander though, its such an important subject matter too IMHO. Loved Tamiys's 1/48 Storch to bits, felt convinced we'd get a Lysander next, but there is simply no predicting what Tamiya will do!

• Like 1

On 31/07/2022 at 00:26, AMB said:

I have heard there might be  a 1/48th Auster kit from Airfix next year. No idea which variant, so watch this space. Anyone else heard this? 

Out of curiosity Adrian, where did you hear this?

All good @One 48 glad you took it all in jest as that was always the intention. I certainly agree that a 1/48 Lysander is another overlooked subject although there is one kicking around and reboxed by Eduard just recently, so that may have had the Hornby chaps questioning this subject. The recent Dora 1/72 Lysander is priced within the same bracket as many 1/48 scale kits and from some reports is not the easiest kit to assemble, so I can also see a lovely open wheel spatted Lizzie in Battle of France colours being another potential good kit should Airfix ever venture there. One can dream, can’t they? 

Cheers., Dave 

• Like 2

Any Auster kit will live or die by the quality of its canopy and visible internal structure mouldings.

As to which Mark would give the manufacturer most options its not an easy choice as many of the military to civilian conversions were more than just a new paint scheme. Adrian, as for the AOP 9 being a poor choice I disagree, there are several variations on the standard 'sand and spinach' camo using nose art and Day-Glo along with overall yellow as well as overall white with a blue stripe. There's also a number of variations in the fit out of the cockpit and external stores to give enough variety.

• Like 3

An Auster would be most welcome but a  DHC-2 Beaver in 1/48 scale would have higher international sales potential IMHO. I know Dora Wings have announced one but Airfix could go really do well with it.  It was used by dozens of countries with a huge variety of colour schemes both civil and military. It would fit with the Auster polar exploration theme as it was used by Australia, New Zealand Japan and Chile in Antarctica.

Regards,

Joe

• Like 2

This would be good to see.  Airfix seem to be working their way through subjects that were released back when they first started model kit production where they align with the Airfix themes ( which seem to be WW2 and post war/modern British military subjects (either of British or Foreign origin).

Going back to 1962 they have the following available (all 1/72) which they have recently revisited (though not necessarily in the same scale)

Spitfire MkIX

Me 109G

Junkers Ju 87B

Gladiator

Defiant

Hurricane

Tiger Moth

Mustang

Skyhawk

Hawker Typhoon

Jet Provost

Mosquito

Walrus

Beaufighter

Swordfish

Hunter

Anson

Buccaneer

Wellington

This leaves the following as potential new candidates: (excluding WW1)

Westland S55 Whirlwind

Lysander

Hawker Hart

Westland Whirlwind fighter

Grumman Gosling

Seahawk

and Auster….

Just an observation.

Peter

• Like 3

Surely the Sea Hawk (I think the oldest of the list?).  Now, as is Airfix's custom, with folding wings.

As a Bridge Player I'd 'have' to go for Ace Diamonds.

The all red (forget which aerobatic team) would be stunning.

There's also Black and Yellow Suez stripes.

• Like 1

If it makes any difference to anyone from Airfix who might be looking at this, I'd definitely buy at least a couple of 1/48 Austers, particularly if there was an 'Antarctic' version. The now ancient Airfix 1/72 kit was one of the first that my dad built for me (many, many years ago now) and I can still remember it hanging from my bedroom ceiling - bright yellow, unpainted plastic and all! That somehow led to a life-long interest in 'things with wings' and building models of them.....

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

Any Auster pre AOP9 would suit me . A Lycoming powered MK.IV would be good but so would any from Mark 1 to 6 but lets all hope they do a decent 1/72nd one too. OR at least some manufacturer could do one. I know AZ did some s few years ago which was something but they were short lived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denford said:

Surely the Sea Hawk (I think the oldest of the list?).  Now, as is Airfix's custom, with folding wings.

As a Bridge Player I'd 'have' to go for Ace Diamonds.

The all red (forget which aerobatic team) would be stunning.

There's also Black and Yellow Suez stripes.

Sorry - going 'off thread'.

Unusual but it would be a nice size in 1/48. Careful spruage (is that a word?) could get multiple marks. My personal preference would be for a III.

Engine options and changes in glazing would cover most of the main marks. Not sure what wing mods there were between marks. Anyone one have a dummies guide to the main differences?

Trevor