VF-5A Fuerza Aérea Venezolana

Luke1199

Hi all, with me close to wrapping up my J-11 build I thought I'd start the WIP for my Venezuelan F-5A. Its the same Tiger Hobbies 1/48 kit my dad is building so I'm aware of the pitfalls of the kit like the incredibly hard plastic sprues and sprue gate on the canopy.

20220730_205407

The decals are from Tandecal and look pretty nice. I'll be building aircraft 3274, with the decals predating the switch from FAV back to AMBV (though I think only a few F-5As were still airworthy by 2008 when the switch happened).

20220730_205633

Venezuelan_Air_Force_Northrop_Canadair_VF-5_A_CL-226_Schleiff

Looking forward to starting, the paint job is a little daunting but hopefully this can be a relatively stress-free build.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Nice looking scheme, Luke.
Be interesting to compare your build with your Dad's, at least he can share some of the quirks of that model.

Just what we were talking about 

Yesterday Robert there's a few dodgy sprue gates to contend with

Especially the horrible ones on the

Clear parts other than that it's not

A bad build.

• Like 2

Hi all, finishing up the J-11 took a little longer than I'd anticipated but its finished and posted so time to start assembling this kit.

The cockpit is a little basic, nice raised detailing but no decals are provided so I just painted the dials and switches black to add a little detail. The tub and interior walls are sprayed grey too.

20220805_215604 20220805_215631

The seat is next to be assembled, the fuselage fit seems good when dry fitted so fingers crossed assembly will be relatively easy.

Thanks for looking in! 

Edited by Luke1199
typo
  • Like 8

Hi all. Intakes have been added, some filler will be needed as the fit is a bit off.

20220807_205408

Fuselage halves are also together, as is the fuselage underside. Again, filler will be needed but no major headaches. It's pegged up whilst the glue dries and then it's the wings and rudder to go on.

20220810_082544

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 11

Hi all, the wings have been added, again some filler will be needed along the root but its starting to come together. Just some small odds and ends to apply like the vents on the fuselage and the fuel tanks and it's on to the paintjob. 

20220812_120456

20220812_120530

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, amateur hour here as I accidentally threw away the sprue with the leading edge slat away before actually adding them to the aircraft.

Luckily -in the spirit of international solidarity between nations under embargo- my dad has canibalised his Iranian F-5 so i can complete my Venezuelan one. The underside has been sprayed grey and hopefully now I'll have the rest sprayed shortly.

20220824_185654

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

Hi all, been a while. Had some airbrush issues recently but it's all sorted now so the painting has commenced.

Sprayed the base beige/brown and started working on the camouflage. I'll continue to build it up as the day goes on and hopefully have one of the greens down by the end of the day.

20220831_090911

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 10