C-160F Transall Air France Postal Service, F-RSIN 1:144

Hello fellow modellers,

I would like to show you this model of a rare aircraft. Air France used four converted military C-160s for postal flights from 1973 to 1978 between Bastia (Corse) and Paris. The service was very reliable.

Some sources say, they were called C-160F, others say C-160P.

The kit is a full resin kit by french manufacturer F-RSIN and  was ....well,... a challenge.

The wings were drooped at the end and bent. Treatment with warm water and hot air did not help at all. So I sawed off the outer wings, corrected the angle and glued them back on again. Not perfect, but much better than before 

Otherwise the Transall would have looked like an Antonov An-12 with its typical hanging down wing tips.

The decals were very sensitive, so some repairs were necessary. All the walkway markings were not included, so I made them using black decal stripes. Some antennas and pitot tubes were also adde. The air intake in the right sponson was way too big and located at he wrong place, so I filled the hole and drilled a new one.

Would I build another one? Guess! Well I got another one in my stash in German Air Force markings. (Should I sell or should I build? The Clash)

Enjoy the photos. 

Greetings from Germany,

Norbert

.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Size comparison to An-12

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 42

Great job!

The Transall nearly is the size  of a Hercules ( interesting  by the way that Germany finally gave in and bought some as well!!!(and F-35 and Chinooks as well.... seems that in-house planning, development  and procurement  is severely  lacking :( ))

I always wondered how they could fly on 2 engines only.. they must be big and powerful!!

Back to your build,

A pity about the wings, they are really fully straight on the ground in real life... maybe your second  set is better ;)

Build  it! :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really interesting stuff! 
Thank’s for something new that I’ve seen today. Really it’s something like an old Antonov from USSSR, but, unexpected, in AF livery😆

Stuning and really neat model! 

Edited by tMikha
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the work with the resin kit was really worth the effort.

Excellent Transall in a good looking livery and a fine Antonov as well.

:clap2:

• Thanks 1

Hi,

friend of mine was flying these postal Transall in the seventies. Always at night! So it holds a special place in my memory.

Brilliant build, and I can imagine it was challenging! You have a gift for understatement!

Congratulations.

JR

• Thanks 1