Hansa Brandenburg D.I - Finished

Right.

SPADs, Nieuport, Albacore and Pfalzes all done and dusted, time to get on with a proper pointy aeroplane in the Century Fighters GB. No propellers, no rigging, no canvas, no nonsense:

EB7233-E5-83-CA-47-D3-98-A8-14-A8779-C33

Oh. Ah, yes, well, er… I bought this one as a bagged bargain at the Shuttleworth show back in February. Plastic is Eastern Express, ex Toko:

229-A8-A3-A-36-D5-4173-8371-19-E52638-BE

Note the short shot elevator, easily fixed.

Decals include some questionable wood effect and camouflage, with decent looking personal markings and insignia, if they don’t break up:

C98-B637-A-EED0-45-C5-94-BE-FFB6-FA72-C9

Interior is pretty nice out of the box (with wine bottle foil seat belts):

CEB78-CDB-AEAF-4572-AC31-E9-A44-F286-ED5

And it matches the Harleyford plans pretty well, FWIW:

AD83-F79-B-BDC8-4-AF0-BA27-1-DE792-B3-B3

I’ve decided to ignore the tailplane mismatch. If you move it forward the span increases and the shortfall is all in the elevators, which seem to be shorter than the plan in pictures.

I’m in the middle of building in a bit of brass tube so I can add a moveable propeller later in the build, because something tells me there will be a lot of fiddling with this one!

image.jpg

So why, oh why? 

I was just curious about how the “X” wing struts were going to fit together, and one thing led to another… At least there will be no interplane rigging!

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

I built the Toko one years ago and never did get the X struts looking right,  3D puzzle that requires at least one extra pair of hands to assemble.  Good luck, although I’m sure you’ll manage it better than I did.

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“I have a cunning plan.”

If it’s anything like the cunning plan I had for building the FROG Shark it will result in two years on the shelf of doom and a rebuild as a folded wings version when I realise I’ve screwed it up irrevocably. Oh, hang on, the wings don’t fold on this one…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Excellent work so far. (Although I was unaware that they were fitted with ejector seats)🤣

The removable prop on the DR1 I built used a thin brass wire sliding into a tube, but I'll be honest I didn't check the alignment as thoroughly as you Adrian on the basis that it's not going to spin so would be easy enough to tweak to get looking right. 

Colour schemes are interesting as well so it'll be good to see how it comes together. I'm settling in with popcorn and coffee waiting for the next instalment . . . 😃

Paul

Edited by DaddyO
typo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaddyO said:

Colour schemes

Thanks Paul. I’m still looking at those, but I think my money is currently on the one with the black hand in a white diamond, which has the late style tail fin, with natural wood fuselage, covered engine and plain linen wings. I haven’t seen anything that looks like the camouflage decal that you get from Eastern Express!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Lovely work so far

Thanks Mark. It always looks quite promising until I get to the struttery! Have to say, it’s a nice build so far, although I’ve been drilling out locating holes and tidying up locating lugs.

…Talking of which, here’s the lower wing jigged up and hopefully setting:

412-AA3-F5-CF0-C-4-ADF-951-F-E2-F0-C516-
Time for a spot of lunch while that dries, then if it’s set enough to move I might actually do some work on the F-102A!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 8

Right. Wings. X struts. Toko thoughtfully give you two “X”s. So let’s put those on the top wing and set the inter-wing gap of 2.1 cm:

07-BAA584-4-D82-474-C-AD76-A0-ADFAA0-C63

23035-F94-6-BEA-4-AB4-B78-A-0-CB0-A456-C

At this point it looks like it’s all over bar the shouting:

BE132-BA4-CD94-4964-A9-DF-8020-AA601397.

Obviously fine tuning, stupid mistakes, tears and repairs will be involved, and possibly even remaking some of the other struts, but I have to say I’m a bit disappointed!

Pride comes before a fall. Watch this space…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 15

Next set is on:

03-E0-EC4-A-4-EEF-48-FA-B8-B5-605-EBB060

It comes up a teeny bit short of the locating holes in the lower wing but a gentle push might spread them a bit:
13-F6-D618-4722-4-A96-902-F-C59-D9-A3-B2

Toko did a really nice job on this kit, despite the rather odd shapes of the ends of the struts.

I need to get some painting done!

• Like 12

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

a gentle push might spread them a bit:

As the bishop said to the actress.

Where's @CedB when you need him?

Coming along rather speedily, and looking good too!

Ian

• Haha 4

These airframes seem to have been quite dark on the outside. Just a little trial run at the wood:

09-C008-BD-3244-4549-82-DF-CE7-F56787-B0

The base coat is Humbrol 94 and the top coat under the cockpit is Revell 84 Lederbraun with a touch of Hu 70 mixed abou 1:2 with the slow drying gel medium. The rear panel is Hu 160, but I think that lacks depth.

Compare and contrast with the wood effect decal shown at the start of the topic!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, pheonix said:

they will fit into the holes in the lower wing

Thanks P. The struts don’t have locating pins per se. A picture is worth a thousand words here:

9-C6-F280-D-E2-B8-4110-83-C3-E1841682144

So I might just glue these to the surface of the wing in a butt joint, and then add a sliver of card or filler to run down to a point. The extra mm or two should just get me across the hole. That’s what I did under the top wing.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

That fast ?? I find the thread and the plane is almost finished !!

Well done Adrian...

These X shaped struts look like a nightmare to me....

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

That fast ?? I find the thread and the plane is almost finished !!

Ditto CC but 7 hours even later…..

Always a pleasure to see you ‘strutting’ your stuff Adrian :blush: (sorry)

• Haha 4