Sea Vixen FAW.1 1/72

TheBaron

After a prolonged WIP designing two of these from scratch on the forum and after requests from a number of members wishing to make copies themselves, I've decided to offer this aircraft for sale as a multimedia kit at 1/72 scale.

You can see the finished result here portrayed as XN708, which shows pretty much everything the kit would come with:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235113133-sea-vixen-faw1-xn708/

Prospectus:

52251496071_879d9ba60d_c.jpg

52251781034_37dd5a20a4_c.jpg

Parts will be printed in Elegoo grey resin and supplied on their printing supports (as shown here) in order to protect them from damage prior to use:

52250255617_5da25348e6_b.jpg

52251244658_ab94dce818_b.jpg

52251730240_39de2e5e8b_b.jpg

52251027623_210d4e5dac_b.jpg

52251515675_4063f0d7b2_b.jpg

52251014941_a7c31b6112_b.jpg

PE (this will be commercially manufactured to maintain quality control):

52250041462_590cf74e00_c.jpg

Brass arrestor hook, refuelling probe and jury struts:

51973642071_f2d3262a8a_b.jpg

51973928869_2e55d7e474_b.jpg

52039184077_e661943167_b.jpg

What is not included in the kit:

• decals*
  • pitot tubes (in my opinion these ones by Master look superior to anything I could produce without a lathe)
  • transparencies for observer's door and side window (Micro Krystal Klear or similar recommended for this

scale)

*for an additional charge I can cut you custom paint masks for the larger markings such as the roundels and
wing and boom lettering, however the small tail numbers and squadron badges you'll need to source/print
yourself.

I can also provide  outline masks for the airbrake and boom/flap intersection should you wish to draw out your own panel lines on the underside as I
did on the above build.

Cost of kit: £93.00 STG. excl. P&P + import fees (where applicable).

Additional masks (if required):

Roundel, wing, boom and nose lettering/numbers (aircraft codes to be supplied by buyer): £13.00

Outline masks for airbrake and flap/boom intersection: £4.00

I would anticipate being in a position to begin manufacture of these kits by about October of 2022 as I'm going to get the PE produced commercially and am also waiting on another printer.

Due to the demands of my day job I'll be producing each kit on a bespoke basis and will therefore notify each person who has registered an interest when a kit is available for purchase. I can ship internationally and will let you know in advance the cost of various shipping options. Once payment is received the kit will then be sent out to you. 

Those forum members who have already PM'd me are already in the queue for a kit; anyone else who would like a copy can similarly PM me and I'll add you to the list.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Like 18

I really really want a 1/72 Sea Vixen FAW.1... but not in a position to spend so much on one at the moment. Student life... fun. Looks fantastic anyway and I hope I can get one at some point

• Like 1

I wish you good luck with this enterprise Tony, the exquisite detail you have made possible deserves respect and a good take up.

A beautiful model made available for the rest of us, what's not to like?

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2022 at 13:09, TANK63 said:

How do I put my name down for one

Apologies for delay Mr. Tank 63 - consider your name on the list for the next batch!

PM me if you want anything extra in the way of masks above, otherwise I'll put you down for the standard kit - I should have some more ready in about 3 weeks.

Kind regds and thanks for your interest,

Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 28/11/2023 at 16:13, Scratcher said:

That is a brilliant piece of work. As a complete novice in CAD, would it be rude to ask how many hours went into it?

Not at all!

All told the project took nearly three years though only about 18 months of that would have involved doing the actual CAD designs in my spare time. The long duration of this project resulted from deciding to do two different versions of the FAW.1 - a Martel trials version and an operational squadron version, which involved different sets of design decisions. 

Looks stunning, unfortunately I've already built my Sea Vixens. Would it be possible to buy one of your Avon engines? I've got several 1/72 jet engines already displayed next to a suitable model and could do with an Avon.

Steve