Harder & Steenbeck questions

Hook

Good day,

currently I use a cheap Fengda FE-182 airbrush with a compressor by the same brand. The compressor works just fine, but I find the Fengda airbrush a source of frustration, with lots of issues of blocking when spraying (or, rather, attempting to spray) Vallejo Model Air. I find the brush rather hard to clean as well, which may contribute to the issues. 

So, I am considering a somewhat better brush. I have read good things about H&S, which also seem to be more modular than my Fengda, translating in these being easier to clean out. 

So, two questions:

- would the Fengda compressor work with an H&S, especially in regard to fitting the screw thread of the Fengda air hose (I'm not sure if this is the correct term, but can I attach the Chinese tube to an H& S airbrush)? 

- which type of double action gravity feed H& S would the collective Britmodeller intelligence recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Andre

As you say H&S is a lot more modular, different cups, nozzles, needles, pick & mix to get the brush you need for the job.

The entry level brush is a bit of a compromise,  you can't add all the extras on it. The mid range Evolution Silverline 2in1 has everything that most people need.

0.2mm nozzle for fine work and a 0.4mm for large area work. It also has a preset handle to set the maximum flow.   The hose should fit, if not there are adapters  available.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!, I will seek out a Silverline.

One additional question, if I may - a YouTube video showed an H&S Infinity where the front end needle holder was removable, leaving basically a hollow tube which could be cleaned with ease. The Silverline has this feature as well?

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

After you remove the needle from the back, the air cap and paint nozzle unscrew from the from of the brush as a unit and the nozzle just lips out for cleaning.

This is the same for the Ultra, Evolution & infinity range.  H&S also  produce their own cheap cleaning brushes  that can clean the inside of the nozzlle and the front of the brush.

Paul

• Like 1

I have two H&S, having used basic Iwata clones as well, the main advantage of the H&S architecture is that it seems simpler and more robust for cleaning.

Having seen what others can do, I don’t think the actual spray results are different from cheapy Chinese clones to full on Iwata or H&S, it’s mainly down to the modeler and his or her practice to get the best out of their chosen airbrush.  It’s just that a fancy airbrush may be easier to work with consistently.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, Hook said:

Thanks again - just ordered a H&S Silverline Evolution Two in One, with an additional 0.15mm set.

Cheers,

Andre

The .15 is more suited to laquers or ink even.  
Be prepared to replace the nozzle every now and then - it's made of softer material than the needle and may widen. Replacement nozzles are relatively cheap, however.

I use Vallejo Model Air and find them very thick compared to any other paints I have used. I spray them at about double the pressure I'd use on, say, Humbrol or Tamiya acrylic.... or Vallejo Metal Color for that matter, too.

Vallejo Flow Improver helps a bit but they are a bit fussy to work with and I'd imagine they'd give me tip clogging problems if I was using a smaller needle (I'm using an Iwata Revolution 0.5). It also dries fast so I don't leave Model Air paint idle in the airbrush for any time at all. It goes in when I'm ready to start spraying, and as soon as I'm going to stop spraying, or even just pause, the cup is emptied and cleaned out. If it's in the cup and not flowing for more than a minute or two, it.... curdles, for want of a better word.